Are people in kuwait friendly or????

Hello

i am preparing for my visit to kuwait, and through my interactions on different online and phone applications, i have noticed that people in kuwait are very abrupt, lack etiquette and manners and they also do not speak much english.

does anyone share same impression or is it due culture difference?

i am thinking to cancel my visit to kuwait and go to dubai instead, but i thought to to ask you all and see what you think..

Hiya,

I've had the same experience with the customer service in Kuwait. I'm so used to smiley faces and kind courtesy in London so it came as a shocker when I visited last month. My experience in Dubai has been the same as Kuwait.

My experience in Dubai was much better. I found that locals in uae, Bahrain and Qatar are easy going

Short version is, if you have a choice, go to Dubai.

Long version is, while most people as individuals are friendly, the system as a whole is hostile towards expats.

I hear you. But no one told me, can they speak English there ?

Depends who you are talking to. Many Kuwaitis are western educated and many speak english like it is their mother tongue, and almost all service staff are asian expats and speak english. Notable exceptions are public services (sometimes) and "independent" :) car repair shops. Bottom line is, you will be just fine, but learning a couple of arabic words will get you extra karma points.

I just from my online communications with them I found very abrupt and lack manners and etiquette

Hello Jhyde,
I don't know how many people you met from Kuwait so you can judge the whole country, but what are you saying is really unforeseen.
People in Kuwait are very friendly and polite in general.

Hi i am sorry you had this discouraging experience but it is not enough just to have an online contact to make assumption about people.

I can assure you that people of kuwait are friendly and hospitable provided you allow them the opportunity to welcome you to their country.

English is considered a second language in the country and you should be just fine using it. I wish you a happy time in our small country and welcome any future questions.

Regards

A friendly Kuwaiti who speaks decent English

Just remember government and banks the worl over are generally slow and frustrating. There are "fixers" who can deal with things for you for a small fee and I've found that invaluable. At the end of the day youre a guest in their country, it can be rewarding and frustrating, but the sun is always shining :)

if you have a chance opt for Dubai ... much nicer place, a lot more to do (even if you aren't crazy about malls and shopping) and a world of difference in terms of people. Also, people do speak some English is Q8, but sometimes you'll find it's quite limited -- so if you do end up in Kuwait limit ur English to the basics even then you might end up frustrated. sorry to say this but this is my experience after 2 years there.

Don't come to Kuwait

Hi Byronlp,

Why not ? Can you be more explicit when posting on the Forum and maybe tell us why and maybe try not to sound too negative :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hello,

Well, the majority in Kuwait are pretty friendly and welcoming. You're going to run into some rude people wherever you go. The English language is spoken everywhere here, so you don't need to worry about it. Yet, I think if you have the option to go to Dubai, you should. Not because of the people, but there are more stuff to do there.

Good luck!

I'm almost in the preparation to move to Kuwait for an incoming job offer. I have contacted a few Kuwaitis and those who are living in Kuwait via CouchSurfing and got a few friendly replies from Kuwaitis. They are also very helpful.

Hello everyone,

@chaiheng753

you are right friend, the Kuwaiti peoples are very friendly and helpful. In my short span in Kuwait  and met with some local peoples and they are helping, friendly and they don't care which national you are, they will support you and Kuwaiti are very calm and humble. (I am telling my experience with countable number of peoples and can't tell about all Kuwaitis) 

Thx
NILESH

Friendlier than London ;)

Well I hear a lot of stories about rude and arrogant kuwaities .. mostly these complains coming from older people .. but personally i have had pleasant interactions with Kuwaitee youths .. be it at workplace colleagues or college going .. they were polite and respectful in general manners

I lived in Kuwait for 9 years and loved the first time experience visiting a place outside of America. I have been back in the US for almost 2 years and every day I think about my "second home".  The diversity and agrevation grow on you as a normal way of life.  I would love to go back to live there again, but I don't have options anymore. Sadly.