Cost of living, lifestyle

Hi, I am currently in New Zealand, where my wife and I have been for the past 14 years - I've got 'itchy feet' again.

Looking at Reunion it seems to have many of the lifestyle things that I desire - scenery, the ocean, mountains, climate, etc. Like any move there is a need to do the ground work first, so here goes.

1) we are on European (UK) passports, do we need any additional paperwork to be resident?
2) property - what annual taxes are payable and how are these calculated?
3) business opportunities - if we were going to, say, go into the hospitality business what needs to be considered (e.g. can you offer bed and breakfast from your own property?)
4) Cost of living - what are the costs of things, e.g. 1 litre of milk, a loaf, a kg of fruit, a kg of beef, etc.
5) any other info you think needs considering.

Thanks

Ian

ianguy wrote:

Hi, I am currently in New Zealand, where my wife and I have been for the past 14 years - I've got 'itchy feet' again.

Looking at Reunion it seems to have many of the lifestyle things that I desire - scenery, the ocean, mountains, climate, etc. Like any move there is a need to do the ground work first, so here goes.

1) we are on European (UK) passports, do we need any additional paperwork to be resident?
2) property - what annual taxes are payable and how are these calculated?
3) business opportunities - if we were going to, say, go into the hospitality business what needs to be considered (e.g. can you offer bed and breakfast from your own property?)
4) Cost of living - what are the costs of things, e.g. 1 litre of milk, a loaf, a kg of fruit, a kg of beef, etc.
5) any other info you think needs considering.

Thanks

Ian

Welcome to the forum.
Whilst waiting for others to reply please take the time to read through the posts in the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page.

hi.
I have a similar question.
I would like to know the immigration requirements and methods to the island.I am not an EU citizen.
can someone kindly assist please.
have posed this question several times wherever I could on REUNION ISLAND,
have had no response.
thank you and much appreciated

Long story short: EU citizens don't require work permits, Reunion is in the EU.

For non EU citizens, regulations are the same as in France, so I would recommend looking up or asking in the France forum. A little warning though: Reunion is not in Schengen area so a Schengen visa won't allow you to enter Reunion.

I no longer live in Reunion so I can't comment on business opportunities or cost of life. On tax, it's roughly the same as in France with a specific tax rebate because it's an overseas territory.

Guys just text words like "requirements", "paperworks" or "cost of living" in the EB search toolbar