Degree and passport name difference

My husband has recently joined in Riyadh about a month back . His aqma is under process. Now he got a message that his name on degree and passport is not matching . His name on degree is Md Sahir sheikh but on passport it's written Mohammed instead of Md . Now they need clarification . Need help . How can this problem can be solve.

Md is the acronym for Medical Doctor.

alpha.one wrote:

Md is used for Mohammed and not what you have mentioned.

Neelofar siddiqui wrote:

His aqma is under process. Now he got a message that his name on degree and passport is not matching . His name on degree is Md Sahir sheikh but on passport it's written Mohammed instead of Md .

I don't think so degree name is required for processing of iqama. Iqama is made only on the passport name. And the employer will process it and he will have to answer/resolve it.

Btw, I have the same issue but I never faced any such kind of queries/issues/problems on such thing.

saimans wrote:
alpha.one wrote:

Md is used for Mohammed and not what you have mentioned.

Maybe they use it for Muhammad in the country you are from :)

but these are the common things that MD is used for:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MD

Neelofar siddiqui wrote:

His name on degree is Md Sahir sheikh but on passport it's written Mohammed instead of Md.

@alpha.one - pls read what OP has posted carefully :)

saimans wrote:
Neelofar siddiqui wrote:

His name on degree is Md Sahir sheikh but on passport it's written Mohammed instead of Md.

Thanks. Yes I did read it, and that is why I commented that maybe they want it changed since it is usually used for doctors
:)

alpha.one wrote:

Yeah Md is a short form for Mohammed in India.

But I like your lateral thinking  :lol:

alpha.one wrote:
saimans wrote:
Neelofar siddiqui wrote:

Thanks. Yes I did read it, and that is why I commented that maybe they want it changed since it is usually used for doctors

Dr. Is used for doctors ;)

saimans wrote:
alpha.one wrote:
saimans wrote:

Dr. Is used for doctors ;)

Ok you win. Happy? :D

Social Sciences - General / Conversation / Greetings / Letters / acronym
English term or phrase: Md. NAME SURNAME
Hello again,
Do you know if "Md. NAME SURNAME" can be understood as "Mr. NAME SURNAME" or does it have a specific meaning?
I found it several times on a certificate (this is to certify that late Md NAME SURNAME... his son is Md. NAME SURNAME... and so forth).
I realised that it is commonly used in Bangladesh but it does not refer to Managing Directors!
Thanks again!
irene
irenef

Local time: 07:06
Md. stands for Muhammad or Mohammed
Explanation:
Md. stands for Muhammad or Mohammed. Thousands of Bangladeshi Muslims (male) use Md., the shorter form of Muhammad, before their names. This is not a title like 'Mr.' nor is a first name as western people understand. Although Md. is part of one's name, people never call anyone by this name. For example, Md. Ahmed will be known as Ahmed, and his son, e.g. Md. Ali, known as Ali.[As Nesrin mentioned] When used before names, it is generally abbreviated but always pronounced as Muhammad or Mohammed. Some people abbreviate it as Mohd.

Md. is a way to identify oneself as Muslim by associating him with the name of Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). Originally, Muslims of this region started using Muhammad with their names sometime in the late 19th century or early 20th century probably as a way of distinction from Hindus who used to use/and still use 'Shree' (an honorific title) before their names as a way of respect.

Because of so many misconception and 'hassles' with the word Md. when Bangladeshis go abroad, even to the Muslim countries, more and more people stopped using Md. before their names. Newborns' names nowadays generally do not include Md. Even schools here discourage students to use Md. with their names during the name registration because of confusion when dealing with foreign countries.

Putting Md. or Muhammad before one's name is not Islamic tradition as you may notice that Muslims of other countries, including the Arab ones, do not use such word. Actually, Muhammad itself is popular name here in Bangladesh and also in other Muslim countries, and when one's name is Muhammad, it is never abbreviated as Md.

It may be mentioned that some Muslim women use Most. or Mosammat just like men use Md., although it is not as common or wide as Md.