India

hi all im irish and thinking of relocating to new delhi i have always dreamed of life in india any advice ?

Welcome to Expat.com!
If you are more specific about the kind of information you are looking for, members on EB (especially those from Delhi) can give you some useful advice.
There are quite a few threads in India forum where other expats are talking about different aspects of living in India, e.g., Safety in India, Indian Cuisine, Cost of Living in India etc. You may find some useful information there as well.

What made you dream of living in India, BTW?
In short, India is a land of extreme contrasts and contradictions, utter chaos and cacophony. Yet an underlying vibe of cultural cohesion and the uniqueness of that “Indian mind” bind every Indian to his/her ancient roots. Unity in diversity … that's what people celebrate here all year round.
Welcome to India!

Also, check the New Delhi forum for updates on latest discussions and possible networking with other expats living there.

Hi

A very warm welcome to India. I am staying in Delhi. Feel free to connect with me for any help.
Hope you have an amazing stay.

Best Wishes

Hi there

I will be visiting India in September not for holiday  but to find school  and house for our November  move.

Where is the best place to find a guide that is safe,reliable ,honest  and won't try to rip me off or take me the long way or take me to places where he gets a commission

Regards

jcaine wrote:

Hi there

I will be visiting India in September not for holiday  but to find school  and house for our November  move.

Where is the best place to find a guide that is safe,reliable ,honest  and won't try to rip me off or take me the long way or take me to places where he gets a commission

Regards

Going-there
I came to know about this organisation from a recent post by one of the senior blog members in the Malaysia forum. Original post
They look quite professional to me (at least on their website). You may consider getting in touch to see if they can assist you during your trip to India.
Good luck!

As another member advised you on this website, it's better to look at schools in the neighbourhood where your husband would be taking up employment. Since your kids speak (fluent?) French, you  might want to try Le Lycee Francais on aurangzeb road. The American and British Schools are in the embassy area of chanakyapuri. You'll find a couple of international schools in Vasant Vihar's suburbs, and several in Gurgaon (one of delhi's suburban towns) where French is taught as an optional language. Sometimes schools are able to make exceptions to the rule for a foreign student wanting to join mid-term.

As far as guiding goes, I, for example, do not collect commissions from anywhere or anyone but I do charge fees from my clients on a daily basis (naturally). Real estate brokers are not likely to charge you fees on a daily basis like guides do, but they would charge you a commission once a deal is struck for a rented apartment or a house. They, too, need to earn something out of services rendered.

Choice is yours whether to hire a guide to take you around to schools and apartments in different localities that he/she would have researched based on your requirements, or whether to work with one or several real estate agents, each with a data bank for a well-defined neighbourhood, and against brokerage fees.

Best of luck with house-hunting and school-hunting. Hope your visit turns out to be fruitful.