Terror threats?

Hello,
My husband recently accepted a job in Malta, so we will be be moving with our three children in late September. We are from the U.S. and although we've traveled quite a bit internationally (and briefly lived in Europe) we have never visited Malta, so this will be quite an adventure.
My brother lives in Norway and is more current on European news, he is excited to have us closer, but is a bit worried about possible terror threats and the growing "immigration crisis"? Any info and experiences regarding these concerns would be appreciated.

I am aware of the irony of the American asking about terrorism. I'm pretty sure my kids are statistically safer in Malta even with a terror threat than in any American school.

I'm thankful for this blog! It's been my most useful resource.

Have a great day!
Heather

I believe the consensus of opinion is that ISIS are infiltrating fighters via refugees. However malta hasn't taken new refugees for quite a while. They go to Italy and of course a short trip from Turkey to Kos. ISIS has taken control of Sirte on the Libya coast. Malta is a tough place to land due to rocks and currents so Malta, in my opinion, is the safest option in Europe. As I say it's my opinion but I don't feel unsafe here. The refugees here are generally nice people and chatty.much like any other population of people

Hello notholly,

I for one don't think you have anything to worry about
Just take the normal precautions you would while visiting Malta
& very good luck in your new venture

:)

as with any country you have to be cautious but you cannot live your life worried about what might or might not happen -
you cant let the terroists win , you have to make the  most of your life :)

robpw2 wrote:

as with any country you have to be cautious but you cannot live your life worried about what might or might not happen -
you cant let the terroists win , you have to make the  most of your life :)

That would be the blitz spirit right there. My ex wife refused to use the London underground week after 7/7 I called her a wimp went up there next day just to get on the tube :)

Thanks everyone!
Now I can focus on the more important details of our move.
I read that the roads are a bigger threat than terrorists, so I'll focus on things that are in my control (like brushing up on the laws of driving on the other side of the road). 😳
The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude, and I CAN control that.

Hi there,

We also considering moving to Malta as I found a job. We are living in Germany, it's fine except the freezing temperature.
I'm still in doubts because of the latest unfortunate events happened in Europe and Malta is in between as location. Malta is classified as low crime and terrorism, right?

you personal opinion, much appreciated

your government will likely publish information about the official state of affairs, see for example the UKs https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/malta

Statistics won't help you, if you are the one out of a million  ;)

I personally believe that Malta is not important enough (and this is good !) for a serious terrorist attack, they can find better targets for their mission  :cool:

At least I can enjoy the warm sun and the relaxed lifestyle here in Malta while watching the idea of the European Union slowly falling apart due to the influx of refugees that sums up to 0.15% of the overall EU population, which is less than the current imbalance of mortality and birth rate in the good old world :unsure The iron curtains are coming back ...  :(

We're all going to die at some point , just come and live your life and don't let the terroists win
They want to divide and conquer and to spread fear - don't be afraid come to Malta and have fun !!

Notholly, I hope to move to Malta next year, I'm currently in the UK after spending the last 10 years in Dallas. I gettheimpression from my info that Dallas is much much more dangerous than Malta. Hope you and the family enjoy.

Chalks1 wrote:

Notholly, I hope to move to Malta next year, I'm currently in the UK after spending the last 10 years in Dallas. I gettheimpression from my info that Dallas is much much more dangerous than Malta. Hope you and the family enjoy.

Certainly a lot safer than Dallas or UK, it's only this week that there will be any targets worth the terrorist's effort as Malta is host to the Royal Family and Heads of Commonwealth Countries.

Ray

I guess it's more likely to die on cancer or heart disease than a terrorist attack.