Temporary work permit & Cost of middle class survival

Greetings!!!

First of all a big thanks to all of you from bottom of my heart.
Really a nice blog, 70% of my quarries has been cleared through this blog only.

Basically I am trying to enter Toronto with a job (temporary Work permit for 2 years via LMIA) then onward I shall apply for PR as getting a PR for Canada is very difficult from my home country. The problem arises to clear IELTS exam.

I am a B.tech Engineer and having 5 years of experience and spouse completed post graduation and having a year of experience.

A consultancy in my hometown is offering me and spouse supervisory (Shop management supervisor) jobs in a shopping mall in GTA.
Salary for me will be - 2900 Ca$ (After tax) + 300 Ca$ for Accommodation
Spouse salary will be - 2600 Ca$(After tax) + 300 Ca$ for Accommodation

We are 3 members (Me,Spouse and son- 4 years)
So my quarries are:
1) Is 6100 Ca$ a good salary to live in Toronto suburbs. (Includes everything)
2) Looking at health and son's education will be bear by me as I am not a PR holder can I able to save a minimum 1500 Ca$ per month.
(We rarely go for outing and avoid clubbing and other stuffs. Basically we leave a complete middle class life)
3) Apart from above my major concern is, We will enter Canada in temporary ''UNSKILLED WORK PERMIT'' for 2 years. Shall we eligible to convert it to "SKILLED WORK PERMIT'' if i got a chance to work professionally with some other employers.
4) Will we be eligible for PR after 2 years if we worked in Unskilled Work permit.
5) Is IELTS is required after 2 years for PR. (Got some info in internet that doing a french course can opt out the option for IELTS)
6) Rather than the said job Can I work other part time jobs in the leisure time.
7) Within 20 to 25 kms from GTA area can i find a 1 bedroom flat or basement within the cost of 700 to 800 Ca$
8)What is cost of education for kids.

These quarries are very important to me as I unable to find the proper answers. Please help us out.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Amit  :cheers:

Hi Amit,

I am surprise that you'd be offered that kind of position immediately. Do thread the water carefully with respect to this opportunity. It does sound a little dodgy to me. Besides I don't even want to question why you are going to that level given that you have an engineering degree.

Anyhow, if indeed what that agent you deal with said is true, then here are my response to your questions.

1) Is 6100 Ca$ a good salary to live in Toronto suburbs. (Includes everything)

I think it should be fine. Its not fantastic but its livable at somewhat comfortable level. The only thing is that you'd have to be careful to the nature of  your job. How many hours are required to work. And if you send your kid to day care - note its not cheap and that daycares tend to charge more after they close. That won't be good for you if you work long hours.

2) Looking at health and son's education will be bear by me as I am not a PR holder can I able to save a minimum 1500 Ca$ per month.

If you have work permit healthcare (OHIP) should be free. But drugs (medicine) isn't. Unless your employer covers your drug plan for you and your family.

3) Apart from above my major concern is, We will enter Canada in temporary ''UNSKILLED WORK PERMIT'' for 2 years. Shall we eligible to convert it to "SKILLED WORK PERMIT'' if i got a chance to work professionally with some other employers.

when you come to Canada with a work permit - typically it will be a closed work permit. This means your permit is tied to the employer. Should you leave the company or be fired, your work permit is no longer valid. If your spouse's work permit is tied to yours, then when that happens to you - then hers too will be invalid.

4) Will we be eligible for PR after 2 years if we worked in Unskilled Work permit.

Errmm.. no. Doesn't work that way. Your agents should be able to advice on this. Its going to get very lengthy to explain it here and I rather not go into the details.

5) Is IELTS is required after 2 years for PR. (Got some info in internet that doing a french course can opt out the option for IELTS)

Yes IELTS is required for PR application. You can't opt out of IELTS just by going for french course. You could however not go for IELTS if you sat for the French equivalent of IELTS. That unfortunately I don't know what it is. You can find it out online.

6) Rather than the said job Can I work other part time jobs in the leisure time.

Technically you are not suppose to.... period...

7) Within 20 to 25 kms from GTA area can i find a 1 bedroom flat or basement within the cost of 700 to 800 Ca$

I am not sure. Use kijiji.ca to find out and get a gauge. Obviously the cheaper it is, chances are the smaller the lodging and perhaps even move ghetto the place. That's always the rule of thumb.

8)What is cost of education for kids.

If you are going to a public school it should be free. However you can only send your kid to schools that are located close to your home address. So choosing the place you live is important as that determines the type of school your kid goes to.

Thanks a ton Philipyeo. Nicely elaborated.

The nature of job will be floor management of a shopping mall. That means I have the look after the maintenance (Electricity issues, material stacking, other maintenance supervision of 19 shops on the same floor)

For me the working hours are - 8 hrs x 6 days (Ots extra as per Canadian law)
For spouse - 8 hrs x 5 days ( Day shift only and Ots extra as per law)

Yes, I have to take a option of day care as because after usual school time son have to manage another 2 hrs per day and 5 days a week.

The consultant already placed a candidate from my hometown as a assistant store manger in the month of June in the same shopping mall.
I am hoping in my case he wont cheat. As the fees are asked by him through salary deductions after placement till that a minimal fee he is asking after LMIA.

Sir. still I am a professional manager and interested to join this low level job as because I have tried to enter Canada as a professional skilled worker from last 2 years, but wont got a chance, so tried the other alternatives.

So the major quarries is still for me is ''If in a mutual consent with the employer, I resigned from the job after getting a other professional offer from another employer, should I am able to change my unskilled wp status to Skilled wp or Not''

So the major quarries is still for me is ''If in a mutual consent with the employer, I resigned from the job after getting a other professional offer from another employer, should I am able to change my unskilled wp status to Skilled wp or Not''

Again, when you come with a work permit, your work permit will be under a close work permit. Thus you cannot leave your job or get fired while not having any application for PR being process (typically further along the processing chain). As a semi-skilled worker under the semi-skilled work permit, you are under the NOC category C which means that its hard to transition to skilled. To transition to PR, there are special Provincial nominee programs for that. Each province may or may not have a category for that and if they do, each has a different requirement. Unfortunately Ontario, being the place you are going to, does not have anything to transition folks within category C.

see links below, particularly the 2nd link.

http://www.cicnews.com/2013/10/transiti … 02963.htmlhttp://www.immigroup.com/canada-semi-skilled-worker

Thanks Philipyeo for your valuable feedback.