Is there really a debtor's prison in the Philippines?

And since it has been established there is NO DEBTORS prison, obviously something else must be going on!

There are either other infractions of the law, as mentioned, like fraud info. on a loan application.  Or on the other side of the equation, bad police work.

Now that does happen in PH.  Case in point, Ted Failon's house keeers were arrested and put in jail after his wife killed herself.  Can you imagine, this was the worst case of "bad" police work I have ever seen.  The cop in charge that initiated the arrest was later fired!

That is the one thing I would be worried about more than "debtor's prison" in PH!!  Any involvement with law enforcement can go really bad, really quick and you don't have the same protections we have in the US.

Yes, there definitely is. It may not be legal, I've read statements from lawyers on the internet claiming it isn't, but the fact remains that people get jailed frequently for not paying utang. I personally know several people who have been jailed for this. Maybe you can avoid it with a lawyer, but if you can afford a lawyer, you're probably not going to be in this situation, anyway.

Well one should look at the law to determine that, shouldn't they.  Well here is the law, saying it is against the law to imprison for debt.

http://jlp-law.com/blog/no-one-can-be-i … t-of-debt/

Always remember
NEVER POST DATE A CHEQUE
NEVER ISSUE A CHEQUE WITHOUT FUNDS THERE TO COVER THE CHEQUE
Its a Fraud under the law if its not paid
The debt will not get you Imprisoned its the NON payment of the Cheque
If ever leaving a cheque as a security CLEARLY MARK THE CHECK THAT IT HAS BEEN ISSUED WITHOUT FUNDS IN THE ACCOUNT TO COVER IT as it becomes a bill of exchange NOT a Cheque and the lender cannot say they were unaware that it not be met on presentation to the bank which makes you not liable for fraud charges (guarantee most lenders will not accept this as its there leverage to make you pay )