Will I have to start the Drivers License ?

Will I have to start the Drivers Licence process in Hungary as if I were 16 years old, even if I have driven all my life with stateside licences? 

If so, than can I take the driver's test in an automatic transmission car?

BarMik wrote:

Will I have to start the Drivers Licence process in Hungary as if I were 16 years old, even if I have driven all my life with stateside licences?

It has been years since I dealt with this, but when I did for me the answer was "no" for my US license. That is, I had to prove my ability to drive with an existing US license. If you do not have a US license, even an expired one, then you may be required to take the courses unless you can otherwise prove your driving history.  I actually had two at the time -- one from Switzerland and one from the US. My Swiss license could be swapped directly, no driving test requirements. Using my American driving license I could only wave the classroom requirement but still was required to take the written and behind the wheel driving tests. The written test is much more difficult than anything you may have experienced in the US, with all the unique European and more unique Hungarian laws to know (like how far to the left must you pass a bicycle on the road -- unlike the US where I have had my cycling jacket clipped by right sided mirrors on cars passing me in the States, here in Hungary cars should pass with a greater than 1 m distance from the cyclist (also note from that example: you will have to know everything in metric as well -- no feet for stopping distances or miles per hour)).

Something else that may be now required: to take and pass the emergency first aid course (written and oral exams).

BarMik wrote:

If so, than can I take the driver's test in an automatic transmission car?

Good question. Honestly I do not know. I drive a stick, so I never asked myself. But, as mentioned above, you can not use your own car. You have to use a car from a driving school, and so you should ask around if any have automatics and if you can test using that transmission type.

Hi BarMik and klsallee,

Welcome on board Barmik :)

I have created a new thread as from your posts on the Hungary Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien