Is Guatemala safe? What about crime rates?

Hi, my name is Debbie.  I live in Hawaii .  I'm interested in finding the perfect place for me to retire .
I love Mexico and have traveled there quite extensively.  I've never been to Guatemala but Antigua and the nearby lake area seem very interesting !   My only concern is what I've read on the internet about crime.  Interesting enough people in america are afraid to travel to Mexico and I feel safer there than in the US.  When I tell people about Mexico they say really ?? Aren't you afraid ? Is the same thing true for Guatemala or is it a lot more dangerous ?,? Please advise :)

Hi Debbie and welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Guatemala forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

Thanks,

Priscilla

If you have seen Mexico and "figured it out" I think you will understand Guatemala. Number of murders per 100,000 is a pretty useless statistic in places with "directed" crime and Guatemala is one such place.
Crime victims are typically related to illegal drugs and that doesn't mean drug usage in Guatemala. The U.S. has a drug addiction and Guatemala along with the other countries between Colombia and Peru (mainly) are victims of the U.S. addiction.
I live in Panajachel (on Lake Atitlan) and crime (that matters) is around zero. Yes, someone will try to sell you pot and people pee in public places but that is about it.
Antigua is too plastic for me (trying to be something it isn't) but I expect the crime situation is similar.