Taking cat food and cat litter through Vienna customs

I understand there are some restrictions on bringing animal-based protein cat food and treats into Vienna.  Does anyone have any more information on this?  What about non animal-based protein foods - are there restrictions there as well?  I have not found anything about taking cat litter through customs.  Any information on this?  Thank you!

Hello scoot89,

Is your cat travelling with you?

If not, why wouldn't you just purchase the cat food and litter once you're in Austria? It's surprising how some people seem to complicate things for themselves. If you don't need to take something through Customs that's potentially going to be confiscated, then why bother? In many countries, it's going to mean extra time spent in secondary inspection needlessly.

Cat litter is cat litter is cat litter... you can purchase several major brands in any supermarket or pet shop. Most well known cat food brands are sold all over the world. Even if your cat has special dietary needs, you're going to find suitable cat food at reputable pet shops. Nestlé has a very large presence in Austria so you will have no problem finding the complete Purina line anywhere.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for your reply.  I understand that it is easier to go through customs without these things.  However, the cats are traveling with me and, due to layovers and schedule when arriving in Vienna, it is necessary to carry at least some supplies.  Thank you for the info about the Purina products.

Just buy the food at the airport, there is shop  by the arrivals.

Thank you.

One other thing:  can someone walk me through the actual process of going through customs with the cats - regardless of whether or not we have food to declare?  Do the cats need to come out of their carriers, etc.?  I have read the basics but I would like to have an idea of what really happens. After an 18-20 hour trip, I really don't want too many surprises!  Thank you!

It might be best if you use a Pet service http://www.animalsfirst.at

Hello scoot89,

Just another thought that might make passing through Customs a bit smoother. Buy individual packets of Whiskas, or any other cat food that meets your needs, but comes in individual servings. Feed the cats and discard any unused portions and what they don't actually consume. I don't think you're going to have much of a problem getting through Customs with a couple of pouches of cat food. Don't expect to pass through Customs with large quantities of anything, so don't try bringing in a two week supply of stuff for your pets.  I really don't see a need for passing through with cat litter, your cats aren't likely to poop on Customs officers! Just get a small bag of litter (just sufficient for the flight) and discard it upon arrival. It is probably best to do this on the aircraft, not in the disembark area. Just leave the bag! If as SimCityAT reports there is a shop in Arrivals then you can make a quick pitstop there to stock up on what you need without having to take things through Customs in the first place.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for your input.  Appreciate it!