Social Security Number w/o work permit

Hi! I am new to this forum and new to the US. I am doing a research project here on a B1 Visa and would like to know if anyone knows a way to get a Social Security Number (for Credit history, Drivers License...) without the typical visas that provide such a number.
Would be great if I could get some help here!
:-)
Kay

Social Security numbers are for taxes and social programs. You don't need one to get a drivers license. If you are not going to be here permanently, it is not necessary for you to have one.

Thanks, but
At the DMV I have been told, I need one and I think I would need one for getting a credit card and starting a credit history.
IsnŽt that so?
I also have been told, that without a SSN I canŽt buy a car, which I would like to do for the time I am in the US.
Maybe you know something here!

Legally it is not possible, and moreso since 9/11. There are illegal ways but the risk is considerable. These days, as soon as you enter the country you are also entered into a data base. My country never was the Free Country most visitors have thought it was and, unfortunately, since 9/11, it has become even less Free, even for its citizens. "BIG BROTHER is always watching!
Dear friend, the risks, the least of which is immediate deportation, the most likely is to include imprisonment, is so great I advise you to go about your business as quietly as possible and, avoid as though it were the bubonic plague, even the modest scrutiny of any officialdom. I don't mean to alarm you but even asking such a question, on a public forum, has a risk.

In addition to my previous note I will add that the SS application requires that you acknowlege under sworn oath, that any information you have provided on the application is true. Your rquired signiture leaves you open to criminal prosecution for the crime of PERJURY. If I was you I'd rent a car or, use public transportation.

thanks very much, I really dont want to work, especially not inofficially, but as I am here a bit longer I also wanted to buy a car which would be cheaper and that is alsy why I am looking for a legal way to get a SSN. :)

I was on a dependent visa which was not work related so I couldn't get a SSN but I was issued a taxpayer ID number after we filed our taxes. This was used in place of the SSN on most forms.  I'm pretty sure that they processed my driver's license without that though. I remember they photocopied by passport and visa and then my license was issued for only the amount of time my visa was for. Be aware that the people at the DMV have no idea what to do with anything out of the ordinary. You might need to ask for someone higher up if they don't have a clue.

I wasn't able to establish credit or open a bank account. My husband who was on the work visa (I was a dependent of) had to be the primary signature on everything. When we bought our car we didn't have anything with us other than passports so that won't be an issue at all, as long as you are paying cash.

kayenta,

Only those who hold E, H & J visas, I-155 (permanent residence) & US citizens, are allowed to work in the US and can apply for SSN. Visitor visas simply do not have this benefit. 

Unfortunately, you need SSN and a legal job to apply for credit and build your credit history. Credits are very well regulated in USA.

You can drive a car if you have the international drivers license (IDP) with you + your country's driver's license, without providing SSN.