Retired looking for a mortgage

I been looking at getting a property cash, but there is a huge tax advantage in getting a property on a 30 year mortgage but paying it off in 3-5 years when my income would be lower so less taxes.

In my case I was planning on limiting my income to 50K a year, and applying for a home loan. Does anybody knows if banks will loan to retires in PR with incomes around 50K???

Anybody purchased using the banks after being retired?

While I can purchase cash I been made aware that there is a huge tax advantage in doing it the way I said above.
Any input?
Thanks

Yes, try banco popular or santander. A few years ago we went thru the process of obtaining a mortgage thru banco santander. Unfortunately or fortunate the house owner back out of the deal so we decided to build our own house. I will tell you the process is different than in the states. They require a fee for doing the application and tons of paperwork.

Rey, if it helps, my dad is a retired military and he just refinance his house in PR thru banco santardent.

Good luck either way you can get a good deal on the house. Also, house payment will be less for the same amount in the island than in the mainland because the escrow will be minimal.

adlin20 wrote:

Rey, if it helps, my dad is a retired military and he just refinance his house in PR thru banco santardent.

Good luck either way you can get a good deal on the house. Also, house payment will be less for the same amount in the island than in the mainland because the escrow will be minimal.

Can you find out what was the interest?
Why is the escrow lower?
How much did he refinanced for?
Do you know what I need to bring so I can get all the paperwork done in one sitting?
Thanks

Well I am retired with about that income and I just got a 30 year mortgage with Banco Popular. Can you please explain more about the tax advantage thank you .... Johnny

Hi Rey

Look into Sun West Mortgage.  I believe they are a little easier to work with than the banks because they are focused on mortgages and they have offices in the mainland as well.  I worked with Bob Chamorro and he was very responsive.  His email is [email protected] and his number is (787) 308-4540 or (787) 522-0244.   I would try to get in touch with him to see if he can help.

David

Johnnyhulk wrote:

Well I am retired with about that income and I just got a 30 year mortgage with Banco Popular. Can you please explain more about the tax advantage thank you .... Johnny

Money you take out of a 401K or IRA is taxed as regular income just like your paycheck. Lets say you have an 80k salary and take out 200k from the IRA or 401K, then you will be taxed in 1 single year as if you had a salary of 280K.Note that if under 59 1/2 of age they also charge you an additional 10% of any money you take out out of your IRA or 401K.

If instead you just get out 50K for down payment, then you would be taxed on 80K and 50K down for a total of 130K, and you pay Federal and State.

Once in the island for a yearStarting with January, you are living on 40 or 50K and no longer paying State tax, so only need to pay Federal on the 40 or 50K salary and on any money you get out of the 401K, If you spread the payments over 3 to five years, your income would be low (US Standard) so in general you pay less,

A big lump sum can push you into 28% or more Federal plus whatever your state charges,

So it is cheaper tax wise to get the money slow over a 5 year period while a permanent resident of PR. With a low income, you may end up paying 10-13% Federal taxes instead of 28% or 30+

3 to 5 years of interest will not kill you and you end up saving in taxes.

PS. Make sure that when you make lump sum payments they go toward the principal and not the interests, the mortgage company can tell you how to make the check so it goes toward the principal. Every time you make a lump sum you skip paying interest on that amount so more of your regular monthly payments go toward the principal automatically. You will be surprised how quickly your house become yours.

davidtx wrote:

Hi Rey

Look into Sun West Mortgage.  I believe they are a little easier to work with than the banks because they are focused on mortgages and they have offices in the mainland as well.  I worked with Bob Chamorro and he was very responsive.  His email is [email protected] and his number is (787) 308-4540 or (787) 522-0244.   I would try to get in touch with him to see if he can help.

David

I took the info down, I will contact them at the appropriate time, thanks for the info. It would be nice if we can arrange a loan from here that works in the island, island brokers and banks may charge a higher prime.

I qualified with a $48000 yearly income for a $120000 mortgage. I could not used the bank because the property I was buying the second floor was wood. Sorry no bank in Puerto Rico will lend you money to buy a house that is built with wood ( the 2nd floor) thanks to Puerto Rico Farm credit they approved my loan because the 18@ and a cemented  garage was enough to justify the loan.

That is very good info Pitorro, by the way sounds like you got yourself a lot of land (18 Acres) for very little. What town was that and how flat is the land?

You can build a lot of properties for sale in 18 acres or farm it.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Very cheap, but I am not a farmer, thanks