Not Ready ro Retire !

Hello everyone,
My husband and I would like to move to belize, but are not of retirement age.  (46)&(47)
Are there any people our age that have made the move??  If so, what kind of things are people doing to provide themselves with an income. We do not have alot of money, but we are definitely tired of the North American Rat-Race....My husband is a mechanic by trade, and I am a Realtor. Would starting a business be the only way to live? I would like to continue as a Realtor, but am not sure how well the market is doing in Belize ?? We are searching for a far more simple way of life!!
HELP:cool:

Welcome to Expat-blog, Terilee :)

Hope that members soon reply to your query.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hello, I would suggest you come down and spend a few weeks in different areas and talk to business people. Belize has a lot of opportunity`s, it is a young country and is growing steadily. I have seen a lot of changes over the past forty years here. My son is a realtor here in the Cayo area, and he tells me sells are down mostly people wanting small acreage, which are few and far between. There has been a change in the type of people buying. Opening a business is probable what you will need to do. You can live cheaply here if you learn to eat fresh, not imported American food. Build a small house, you don`t need a large one as you spend a lot of time outside here, covered verandas are a good idea when building here. I am a builder here in country, mahoganyhallbelize.com is one of my builds, you will see the high ceiling and large doors and windows, covered veranda on second floor, we build like this for good cross ventilation. Off to work, please feel free to ask any questions, MARY