Advice on accessible transportation or insurance for foreign citizen?

Greetings, people of Earth. I'm new to Expat.com. I hope to get advice from your experiences. I am a retired airline captain. I am engaged to a Cambodian. She has been denied a tourist visa and a  fiance' visa twice. We are still working on it. We also plan to get married this year and pursue a spouse visa next. I was in a car accident resulting in a spinal cord injury. I am paralyzed and use a wheelchair. I have been to Asia several times and to Cambodia for several months twice since 2012. I have found no wheelchair accessible transportation. I am considering bringing my modified minivan with me when I return next month. I was told if I register it in Cambodia or gift it to my fiancee' the tax will be 15,000 USD. I hesitate to leave it registered in the USA for liability reasons.  Any advice on accessible transportation, or insurance for foreign citizens in Cambodia? Thanks, Don

Hi Don, I think this country is not good for your situation. First you have medical conditions. I advice you to find another country where you and your fiance can live. Cambodia has no good hospital. and no designated
area for wheel chairs.  Have a good thought about it. Even you have insurance.. but think of your own safety first.  And also please get to know more your fiance... before marrying. Hard to back off.

Hi Don,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Cambodia forum in order to help you to receive more responses from members.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Yes listen to Choco ! You wont , but no insurance or health issues will protect you ! Plam your own Death here! Sorry to be blunt !

Hi Arizona Pilot,

About the Insurance... ask CIGNA , I asked them myself for I needed one for me . Their rules are clear enough. and it depends on what and where countries you want to be covered. thats what they said. They are on this site. If not, I can give you the  email of the guy.  But you have to include
Bangkok just in case something happened, that is where the best medical here . At least they can airlift you at once.

About transportation, well tuktuk but now got taxi , But maybe you can
hire a driver to drive you and just put the wheel chair at the van.

I commented about the previous posting, not you change mind. But to think further if your wife cant be allow in USA , which country might be best suitable for both of you. Where you can get at least medical attention just incase something happen, or her visa is not too hard to handle and where life can be good for a couple like you to begin your life together.
Hope my reply helps.

Thank you for your information. I will act on it. My fiance' has been denied a tourist visa and fiance' visas twice. We have been together months at a time since 2012. Don

As I understand your are confined to a wheelchair, correct. If you don't have any medical conditions which requires frequent hospitalization or specific medical intervention, you will be perfectly fine in Cambodia. It is true that you might have some issues getting around but this can easily overcome with help from your partner, wife to be and family. Go for it come to Cambodia, select a nice town, Siem Reap might be a nice place to be.