Regarding latest subject on crime and social harmony?

As with the crime, safety and security post currently running, I have wondered why nobody mentions prostitutes that stand along the roadsides on most major Bulgarian roads, of course I fully take on board that this too is a extremely sensitive subject not unlike the "crime and safety" post.
This is a real situation here and therefore should be addressed if anyone has any thoughts on this matter I would like to know, I do not see why it should be offensive to approach this issue as long as it is done with a mature courtesy for the topic? We should be able to talk about day to day life, if you drive down the road you will clearly see this going on.
It is not my intention to offend any members on this forum, so I apologize in advance to those that see this matter as taboo, but for other members if anyone has an opinion on this please share your views?
Regards Steve.

The previous post was about personal safety, not criminality. Honestly, prostitution is not a violent, aggressive act and unless you choose to engage with said prostitutes, you are not at any risk of harm from them. I would believe that is why they are not mentioned in a conversation about safety.

Is prostitution here and the trafficking of Bulgarian and roma girls to Western europe to become prostitutes a huge issue? Yes. For the safety of the girls engaging in an illegal and uncontrolled activity. Mostly, the prostitutes stop truckers on the route from Turkey to Western Europe or back. I've known some of them to be very sweet girls, and it was tragic because they did not want to be prostitutes, but could not figure out another way to make money. But again, they are really only harming themselves. And, if you purchase the services of a prostitute I would HIGHLY recommend practicing safe sex.

On a side note, I am not sure if prostitution is illegal in Bulgaria. Pimping, organized brothels, trafficking, and forced prostitution are illegal, but the actual act of prostitution itself wasnot addressed in the law as of 2007. (I couldn't find anything more recent).

Awesome reply :) eddie

Hi regards your reply to the post, thank you it seems that these girls choose to do it as a last resort, I thought they were forced in this work under a pimp, as a way of easy money for the pimp exploiting these girls.(I assumed somebody in the area guarding them nearby either to watch them or lie in wait to rob you!?)
It is very sad to see. As a westerner it was a big shock to see as I drove across Bulgaria, I am not naive in life and know this happens world over but it seemed quite out in the open here.
I also drive for a living in the UK travelling about 2000+ miles a week, the laws here are obviously much different the roadside lay-by are used by drivers of cars, caravans, trucks etc, that use them as a resting point, or if you had car trouble. (I agree too regards advising practicing safe sex)
I did not mean to imply that anyone was in danger from these girls regarding personal safety, but sure if you had to stop your family car to check a map/gps or top up the water/oil.... you would not choose to stop were they would be.
(scenario " little johnny asks mum and dad why is there a lady standing there with hardly any clothes on?)
I am pleased that you were kind enough to answer this topic,adding advice and information, it is much appreciated.
Cheers Steve.

The girls I knew who engaged in prostitution did not, unfortunately, have anyone nearby to protect them. They also did not have someone nearby to harm people who used their services.

In many ways, it is a last resort kind of thing in Bulgaria, mostly because the pay here is so very, ridiculously low. There are many girls who willingly/eagerly get sucked into it when they see girls return from western europe with new cars and lots of money... unfortunately, they do not realize that many of the girls who return are just the face of a bigger trafficking scam and that many of the girls who leave are never seen again. (This is a huge problem in the Sliven area.) So, I would say that the girls you see on the side of the road are probably sadly desperate and the girls getting trafficked are unaware of the dangers that await them. These are many problems that are associated with the power dynamics of sex and sex work.

I would caution you against thinking that trafficking, in similar and worse ways, does not happen in western europe. Young girls and boys are often exploited, in every country. Only the visibility varies.

(Oh, and the only time I was approached by a prostitute was in Sofia, so not on the side of the road... and they were fine with my, 'no thankyou,' and did not bother me after wards).

Explaining trafficking, sex work, and even prostitution as a choosen profession may be uncomfortable for many parents, but isn't it better to have children who grow up with a realistic view of the world, so they can work to make the world a better place, rather than just sweep all of the nastiness under the rug?

You have replied with excellent response's, being constructive, and yet sympathetic, I value your answers, your feedback and knowledge.
I wanted to approach the issue not as it is a big issue or problem, but as a real life issue.
I feel you can educate many with your insight, however....... personally yes I would sweep any bad in the world under the carpet for as long as I humanely could regards my children, yes it is fantastic to educate them allow them to learn, study,embrace all that's good, but I also want to keep my children as unaffected from bad things as I can. Children should be allowed to be just that children, I'm not about to sit down my son and tell him this and that, the time will eventually come for that, but for now I will let him enjoy his own little world, plenty of time for him to find our's.
(just my personal opinion)
Best wishes Steve.

That's the beautiful thing about parenting, and raising children in families as opposed to mass social rearing of children... we can each decide how is best to raise our children, and when they become adults, the world will be filled with diversity and unique insights by different people.

Hi all,,,Can anyone tell me if there are updated statastics regarding crime in BG,,ie Goverment source,,cheers