Effect of Change of Citizenship on Valid Existing Visa

Hi,

I got Brazil Visa VITEM II valid for 5 years with 90 days max per visit, multi entry in May this year (2015). I already traveled to Brazil once in June, for a week. When I got my Visa, I was Indian Citizen and hence the Visa was stamped in my Indian Passport. Currently, I became USA Citizen and need to travel again to Brazil next month. So, I have my new US Passport and Brazil Visa in my old Indian Passport (India doesn't allow dual citizenships).
Can I travel to Brazil and back, using 2 countries passports?

Thanks

I think your question is too technical to be aswered here, it is certainly well beyond my sphere of experience. I'd suggest that you contact the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in San Francisco and ask them how the loss of your Indian citizenship effects your visa.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you very much for replying, James,

Here is the response I got from San Francisco's Brazil Consulate:

"
The visa is specific to a person and nationality. If the person changes his/her nationality, the person needs an appropriate visa.

If you are now a US citizen you will need a visa to Brazil in your US passport.
"

Well, there you have it... so now we all know, which will be extremely helpful to anyone else who may find themselves in a similar situation. So you now need to apply for a new visa through the Consulado in San Francisco. The one blessing is that the requirements to obtain the visa are nowhere nearly as strict for a US citizens than those you went through in order to obtain the visa in India.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

I got Brazil Visa in the same consulate in San Francisco and it was not difficult. People are very friendly and helpful in Consulate.

I was born and raised in Ireland but have lived in US for over 20 years so I am a citizen of both countries. I am marrying a brazilian girl and moving to Brazil next year and was wondering if its okay to get my permanent visa in my Irish passport? Thanks 😀

You can get the visa in whatever passport you wish, it really doesn't make much of a difference since once you have registered in the RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros) and received your civil ID (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) you will only need to show the CIE and passport when you enter Brazil. Just remember that you will always need to enter and exit Brazil using that passport to avoid confusion with entry/exit stamps.

The VIPER (Consular visa) which is a document bearing your photo attached in your passport is only done abroad. If you apply for permanency here in Brazil the Federal Police only put a small stamp in your passport stating that you are registered as permanent. You must ask them to do this, because sometimes they forget. It is important because foreign airlines haven't a clue what the CIE is and don't understand that it is your visa, (essentially just like the US Greencard) and they may argue about allowing you to board. At least the stamp in your passport combined with the CIE should resolve any potention problems of that kind.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you very much. Slainte!