Cambodian Visa's - Essential Information

Although this is correct it should not be posted here, as this is Cambodian visas thread.

There is a thread "Opening bank account" so maybe you can post it there.

Thanks

Joe

VerityVR wrote:

Hi,

If I want to stay in Cambodia for longer than a year on the Ordinary Visa, how long do I need to leave the country for before reentering and applying for the ordinary visa again?

Thanks in advance :)

never heard of a rule you need to stay out for a certain amount of time, all I know is, you go out and your visa expires when you are out then when you go back you start all over again, recent changes now would require you to have an employment letter to get a 3mos and up visa , 12mos would need a work permit

The question is not correct as you cannot stay a year or longer on a Ordinary visa. The visa is valid for 30 days and then one either has to leave the country or apply for an extension of stay EOS.

To get a new Ordinary visa after leaving the country one only has to come in again and apply again for an Ordinary visa.
But there are better ways to stay longer than the one month of the Ordinary visa. An extension of stay can be approved for 6 months, a so called EG [general] extension. Is meant for people searching for a job. If no job after 6 months one has to leave the country [but can come back].

Hope this makes things clear.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

I am curious on visas if you can help me.  We are arriving in September.  My daughter will be teaching at a school and will get a work visa once she secured a job.  I am accompanying her but will not be working just be her family member as will my husband when he comes.  I work online and wasn't planning on seeking f/t employment there.  I will be taking a class to volunteer part time with an NGO.  Will the NGO volunteering count for me for a work visa?  Also if my husband is not going to work at all what would he do as my accompanying spouse?  Thanks.

Hello Lynn.

I advise you to read the link I give you here, it's all about visas and extensions/

There is a B extension for NGO workers if the NGO is a registered one. But still you always come in on an Ordinary visa and extend that for whatever is applicable.

Here the link:
http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning- … dia-visas/

Cheers.

Joe

Joe - Thx for the link. I assume that the E-Retirement visa is what I would want. But I read elsewhere online that Cambodia taxes pensions and social security at 20%. My initial assumption was that they'd never know what your pension/ss income was. But if I have to show them that to get the ER visa, aren't I then liable for 20% tax if I stay more than 182 days? What do other expat retirees in Cambodia do?

Hi Joe - I just read the retirement visa thread and I see that I don't have to prove retirement income over age 55. But the question is still open if - as I read online in someone's blog - pensions and social security are taxed at 20% by anyone residing in the country 182 days or more? Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks.

My pension comes from an Australian superannuation fund and I get taxed in Australia (very favourably because I am of retirement age, but nonetheless I am considered to be taxed there).  There is no way I would pay an additional tax in Cambodia.

Cambodia only has very few double taxation agreements, therefore, in theory, that 20% tax applies on all income you might have abroad (quite definitely pension, interest from investments, but possibly also child benefits, Google Adsense income etc. etc.)

And considering that you're using the country's infrastructure, they definitely have the right to charge you tax on your foreign income...

In practice, don't worry about it! There's no chance for Cambodia to enter any agreement like the CRS unless they start hitting on high level corruption way more seriously. And without CRS, they will not be able to get the structures in place to collect this 20% tax.

I suspect, even if you wanted to pay it, there'd be no way to do so. (I'm sure, if you took a wad of cash to the ministry of finance with the sole intention to give it to someone, this could be done very quickly, but I'm also sure that not one penny of that cash would actually go into the tax administration).

Good reply Jan Krohn.

It is a fact that Cambodia COULD tax any income from around the world. But they don't intend to do so as too complicated, so nowhere should anyone fear to have to pay taxes on foreign income.

Cheers.

Joe

Good answer.  I'm not sure however about the argument that I'm using Cambodian infrastructure means I should pay tax.  Whilst I may be using it to live, I'm not using it to earn money, as I once did in my country where I earned my money and paid tax for the privilege.  If you use the infrastructure to earn money then I think you have a moral obligation to pay tax.  But not if you are just a consumer.
I bring in and add money to the economy every month which I will NEVER get back.  Governments LOVE that as it adds to GDP.  I think that Cambodia can be happy enough with that.

Just a heads up I went through the Prek Chak/ Xe Xia border and got my nice shiny new visa EI but they charged me $50 As I was the only one there, maybe they felt in need of a pension top-up😆  not sure if this across the board or not but I didn't think it was worth challenging, zero point in doing so...moving on.

martinosricardo wrote:

Just a heads up I went through the Prek Chak/ Xe Xia border and got my nice shiny new visa EI but they charged me $50 As I was the only one there, maybe they felt in need of a pension top-up😆  not sure if this across the board or not but I didn't think it was worth challenging, zero point in doing so...moving on.

Land border crossing officials are known for scamming you off an extra $5 or 10. Airport officials don't do that, unless you want VIP processing, then an officer will do that for you for $10.

Cheers

Joe

Hi,

How are you? i 'm Italian and i am looking for to migrate to Cambodia and to do something there, i mean, i am unemployed and i'm looking for a job or i will create a new one, so i wondered if you want to join me, so let me know bye.
please forgive me for my poor English thank you!

Hello Vincent 17.

First steps are getting into the country on a Ordinary [E] visa, valid for 1 month.

After one or two weeks you apply for a EG [general] extension of stay, for 6 months.
No documentation needed, as it is meant for people seeking a job or starting their own business.

After 6 months, if you haven't found a job, you have to leave the country but can come back and start all over.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I have a job in PP which begins in August. My employer will help with obtaining a work visa and work permit. I understand that I need to apply for an E visa for this conversion to work visa to happen. I will come to visit in late June but it is actually 34 days before I return again to start work in August. Is it possible to get a 60 day E visa in June rather than the 30 day so I don't have to apply for a new one upon arrival in August?

You could get a tourist visa the first time and extend it once for another 30 days. That covers your first trip.

Then when you come prior to start working you come in on an Ordinary [E] visa and extend it for an EB [business] extension of stay [EOS]. For the extension you will need a letter from your employer with letterhead and official stamp.

The work permit can be applied for on line, by yourself. You can also ask an agent to do the work, for a fee.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thank you so much my friend

Vincent17 wrote:

Thank you so much my friend

You're welcome Vincent  :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Joe

Hi my friend,

I'm Vincent from Italy, i'm very sorry to disturb you, but i wanted to know, once arrived at Phnom Penh international airport i can apply for E_visa( multiple ordinary visa) which lasts 1 month Right? then after 2 weeks i can extend it with EG visa for 12 months, but i would like to know another thing if i have to buy a return  air ticket for Cambodia or just a single ticket and tell me something about travel insurance, and to open a  bank account, please let me know how behave   ok
thank you so much for your help.

Have a nice day!!!!!

Hello Vincent.

Yes you get your Ordinary [E] visa at the airport, for 35 usd.

Then two weeks later extend for EG 6 months maximum, multiple entry, costs about 160 usd.

It's up to the airline if they want you to have a return or forward ticket, Immigration does not care.

Opening a bank account is covered in a thread just search for it.

Travel insurance is a subject for insurance agencies in your country, before you leave.

Cheers.

Joe

ok thank you so much, and your answers are always perfect and helpful

please if i need another question can i disturb you again?

goodbye.

Vincent17 wrote:

ok thank you so much, and your answers are always perfect and helpful

please if i need another question can i disturb you again?

goodbye.

Vincent, I'm here and other expats are here to help anyone who needs help in expatriating to this country Cambodia.
So after you have searched in existing threads there are still questions, post them in the fitting thread or start a new thread.

Take care.

Joe

Hello my friend,

I just wanted to know, although i was in Cambodia 3 times on vacation with a T-Visa ( tourist visa),  can i always get E_visa ( Ordinary visa) right? because i had read  that i could get the E_visa the first time you visited the Cambodia, so i wanted to know if it's true or not. another thing if i can get E_Visa at italian Embassy as well to save time.

thank you so much

Have a nice Day!!!

sorry for my poor English

Hello Vincent.

You can get an Ordinary [E] visa any time you enter Cambodia. You can do as many times as you enter.

If you plan to stay no longer than two months, you can get a tourist visa which can be extended once for a month, so total two months, or actually 60 days.

You can also apply at home for a Electronic visa, this is a tourist visa you apply for on line. After payment you get the visa home and only have to show it when you enter Cambodia.

Ordinary visa is another chapter. Available at all border crossing on land and all airports.
Not sure if you can get it at a Cambodian embassy, but give it a try.

Good luck.

Joe

Hi,

Just a funny one, when I got to Phnom Penh airport I asked for an ordinary visa, not tourist one.
Then when I tried to extend at travel agencies, they told me things like - they couldn't. I need a job to extend it. One said he could extend for 1 month, but afterwards I'd need to get a job or leave. I guess I just went to rubbish travel agencies?
Also I gave them my passport June 20th, they said I'd get it back in about a week. But now they are telling me I won't get it till July 10th. Well I'm off to Thailand 17th so hopefully it will be ready before then! And I hope the next hotel I'm off to in Phnom Penh on the 8th will accept me with just a copy of my passport!
Well just curious anyway, thanks so much!

That's a lot of rubbish you have encountered,

An Ordinary visa can be extended for several time frames and several groups.

The easiest if you don't have a job and are not retired, is the EG [general] extension for 6 months maximum, no docs needed.

Retirement if over 55 no docs needed, extension up to one year.

So even if you have no job and are not retired there is still the EG extension.

The agents have telling you bullocks and you should change agent. Also the story of the passport away for more than 3 weeks is unusual to say the least, usually a passport is back within 7-10 days.

The hotel will accept your copy of passport, or even your drivers license or any photo ID. Explain them that your passport is at immigration.

Good luck and if you need a reliable agent in PP, you can pm me.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Arrived in PP yesterday and I've asked the immigrantion officer and told me to get the E  visa which has given me one month to stay.
He told me to come back in the airport before it expires and I can extend it to 1, 3, 6 12 months which ever I like. I have no job and not retired also.

Question is, where in the airport can I renew it next month?

rainierjp wrote:

Arrived in PP yesterday and I've asked the immigrantion officer and told me to get the E  visa which has given me one month to stay.
He told me to come back in the airport before it expires and I can extend it to 1, 3, 6 12 months which ever I like. I have no job and not retired also.

Question is, where in the airport can I renew it next month?

Don't go through the hassle of doing it yourself, first because you probably will pay the same amount, second you have to go there twice.

Best is to take a reliable agent to do it, if you need details send me PM and I will give you the best agent in PP as far as I'm concerned.

Think of what kind of extension you want, there are several kinds and several time periods.

If you are looking for a job you can get the general [EG] extension for 1, 3 or 6 months, only the 6 months is multiple entry, the others are single entry.

For the 6 months EG no documents are needed, it is meant to be for people seeking a job or starting their own business. If you find a job you have to change to the business [EB] extension for max. one year, for the one year you need a letter of your employer with letterhead and official stamp.
After you change to EB you also have to apply for a work permit, can be done by yourself on line, but also by an agent.

You could also enlist for a study at an officially registered institute and use the proof as a way to get a one year study [ES] extension of stay.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi all. Just wanted to thank Joe for his help in me getting my extension of stay retirement visa. I visited the agent today and will have the extension of stay in about a week. I did not show any documents for applying with the agent BTW. Thanks again Joe! Really appreciate your help.

mpmilestogo wrote:

Hi all. Just wanted to thank Joe for his help in me getting my extension of stay retirement visa. I visited the agent today and will have the extension of stay in about a week. I did not show any documents for applying with the agent BTW. Thanks again Joe! Really appreciate your help.

You're most welcome, glad I could be of any help, thats what we're here for  :D

Cheers.

Joe

Great JOE,

I hope to see you very soon In Phnom Phen, you are always Helpful in everything.
I wish you a good day.

Cheers.

By Vincent.

Vincent17 wrote:

Great JOE,

I hope to see you very soon In Phnom Phen, you are always Helpful in everything.
I wish you a good day.

Cheers.

By Vincent.

Hope to meet up with you here.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi I am Australian
How Long and How Much is the ER Retirement Visa?

Tooktee

Up to one year for about $290.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks for the info.

Welcome  :thanks:

Coming over in a few weeks, going to get a tourist VOA at the airport (PP) - how long does it actually take from touchdown to get through immigration? I know it will differ depending on when etc, just a ballpark figure?

Out of the plane you enter the hall where Immigration is located.

Depending on how many applicants before you it can take from 5 minutes to 1 hour.

If you're in a hurry you can ask a wandering Immigration officer if you did everything correctly, he will then offer you to get the visa done in 5 minutes, against a "fee" of 5 - 10 USD.

Have everything in order, passport photo, 30 USD, filled out application form.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Took me about 30 minutes to get through. I have a difficult passport, but I was only going for a tourist visa. That includes the 5 minutes of questioning regarding why I am entering the country haha.