How long does it take to get a Cambodian drivers licence?

Hi

I was wondering how long does it take to get a Cambodian drivers licence throug an agent in Sihanoukville??

Thx Henry  :)

Pop along to JJ's  cafe on the back road (behind the market)  to Otres and ask for John.  While you eat a good English breakfast he will give you all the info you need.

I am curious also. I will be arriving next month. Don

It takes about a month.

During this time you are given a receipt which acts as a driver's licence until your arrives. Carry a COPY of this with you.

Ana Travel on Serendipity is reliable, as is Mottah travel on Ekareach.

Alternatively, keep a few dollars in your pocket to hit the police with then they stop you but if you do this you are propagating the whole corrupt system.

auntyskitchen wrote:

Pop along to JJ's  cafe on the back road (behind the market)  to Otres and ask for John.  While you eat a good English breakfast he will give you all the info you need.

Thanks a lot. I will do that.

/Henry

netyoda wrote:

It takes about a month.

During this time you are given a receipt which acts as a driver's licence until your arrives. Carry a COPY of this with you.

Ana Travel on Serendipity is reliable, as is Mottah travel on Ekareach.

Alternatively, keep a few dollars in your pocket to hit the police with then they stop you but if you do this you are propagating the whole corrupt system.

And thanks to you also Yoda :)

Have a great day.

/Henry

Before you go, AAA sells int'l drivers licenses for $15-20. That will cover you, but you should keep some dollars with you just in case. I got stopped twice, once cost me $4 the other $18 and I had to threaten the cop to get him to let me go. The cops sit just past the intersection so look ahead and try to avoid them, they will pull you over because your a foreigner.

I may be mistaken but I believe  Cambodia does not honor international drivers licenses.

If you intend to drive a moto, you don't need a driving licence any more. The law changed last August. If it is a car, you need a driving licence. Mottah is a good address and so is Samudeira.

Hi,

Not yet in Cambodia but from different blogs I understand that we need an international license that complete you national (in the case of French licence).

On the otherwise I understand, as Chamcat also says, that from the last year we do not more need any MOTO licence under 125cc, or 150cc. Not sure ...

Cheers,
Marcelo

Yes, you're right. I forgot to mention that you don't need a driving licence up to 125 cc.

Like you I heard that a national  and  international driving licence are ok if you want to drive a car or a moto over 125 cc but I'm not sure the police will accept them since they prefer you to pay for a Cambodian driving licence of course.

So, personnally, I prefer to buy the Cambodian driving licence and it isn't that expensive if you have already had one before. I had mine renewed 3 weeks ago and only paid $35 for 3 years. If you didn't have one before I think it costs about $ 55.

One thing I have forgotten to mention is that you have to show your NATIONAL driving licence if you want to buy a Cambodian licence. If you don't have a licence in your own country I don't know if the Cambodian will sell you a Cambodian driving licence. But as everything can be bought in this country.................

I expect to be driving my jeep from Viet Nam into Cambodia later on this year. I do have the Vietnamese issued ASEAN Drivers License and it appears that that my Vietnamese Auto liability insurance "Blue Card." meets ASEAN requirements.

http://asean.org/?static_post=protocol- … -insurance

Am I good to go?

You should normally get it within 15 days. It's what it took me to get it from a Phnom Penh agency.

chamcat

I'm assuming that the current Cambodian Drivers License is an ASEAN wide DL with English and Khmer like the Vietnamese one is English and Vietnamese.

chamcat wrote:

You should normally get it within 15 days. It's what it took me to get it from a Phnom Penh agency.

Hi Chamcat ,

Have you the PP driver licence agency name/address and the cost ?

Thank you,
Marcelo