Photographing Incan and Aztec Performers ...

Hi ... I'm an amateur photographer who will be spending this coming Winter (2015-2016) in Cuenca or region.  I am looking forward to  taking lots of photos of the land and the people.  I am curious to know if there is a site or other source I might visit to help clarify what the "rules" are regarding taking pictures of native (and other) performers.  I find the costumes and outfits they wear very colorful and vibrant and they would make wonderful photographic subjects, but don't want to offend or create any problems by photographing them "unauthorized".  Does anyone have any information that might be of some help to me?

Many thanks/Muchas gracias,

Señor Ramon

I am asking the Home Office to transfer this thread to the Cuenca forum since it involves Cuenca-area photography, and could attract the attention of the foremost Cuenca photographer for the Ecuador Forum, VIP member Nards Barley.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks so much, cccmedia.  Much appreciated!

My experience is that at a public performance of cultural dances you just point your camera at the dancers and take the photos.  If you can get an email address and send them copies, that is much appreciated. 

Many people here use cell phones to snap photos...

Thanks, Quito.  Sounds pretty simple and I'd have no problem providing the performers with digital copies via e-mail or text.  I thought there might be some expectations that people wouldn't photograph the performers, at least without their permission.

Taking photos of the indigenous people can be a bit trickier...best use a telephoto lens for that and raw processing...

Thanks again, quito ... I have a good telephoto lens but have always preferred shooting people and events close up, unless it was necessary to shoot from a distance.  I'm certain it will come in handy when I want to get photos of the landscape and the mountains.

Bests,

Señor R :)

Wondering get what kind of safety problems might be involved, since expats are advised not to show bling or electronics in public.

Hadn't thought about that as an issue, mugtech, but surely there must be lots of people wandering around with cameras.  Any experienced expats able to shed some light on this matter?

Senor Ramon wrote:

Hadn't thought about that as an issue, mugtech, but surely there must be lots of people wandering around with cameras.  Any experienced expats able to shed some light on this matter?

I carry my camera/lens etc in a nondescript shoulder bag that I cross over my chest and keep it in front of me.  When I am done shooting, I put the camera back in the bag. Frequently my wife and I spot each other:  one shoots and one watches.

And we both keep the camera strap around our neck.

Don't get so wrapped up in the shot that you are unaware of what is going on around you...

There are so many opportunities for some great photography here.

Thanks for the additional advice, quito.  I'll be totally new to the surroundings and appreciate the heads up(s).  I can see how being caught up in the shots might present a problem - sometimes it's difficult not to do that especially when the subject matter is as interesting as I'm hoping it will be.

Senor Ramon wrote:

Thanks for the additional advice, quito.  I'll be totally new to the surroundings and appreciate the heads up(s).  I can see how being caught up in the shots might present a problem - sometimes it's difficult not to do that especially when the subject matter is as interesting as I'm hoping it will be.

Hopefully you will have a partner in your project.
Best of luck, hope you enjoy your trip.

Truthfully, that would be a big help having someone there as a backup/lookout/assistant.  I'll be alone, unless I am lucky enough to find someone who shares my enjoyment in photography while I'm there.  Thanks again for your suggestions.  Who knows ... we may meet up during my stay.  Drinks on me!  :)