Where to spend the winter

Hello everyone.
We are a couple from Virginia who have visited AI's in the DR 5 times in the past few years.
We are looking to spend several months in your country (Nov-April) so we can skip winter. If I never see another snowflake again it won't hurt my feelings.
I don't want a car after seeing how people drive there but do want to explore the country.
After spending time in PP on the north shore and PC on the south I like your thoughts on where we should look to rent.
We want the usual, ocean, stores, safety and medical. But which area would you recommend?
Just want to relax and spend my time with my beautiful lady and some cold drinks while watching the water.
Thanks
VaPhil

I have been reading this forum for a couple of years and haven't seen this topic. Most people want to know where to move or live. I'm looking for a base where we can explore the local culture and meet new friends(local and expat).
Go into town for dinner or drinks. Not just stay in a gated community like a bird in a cage.
I will probably use Air BNB to find a condo but would like some guidance as to which area to look.
Thanks
VaPhil

First, welcome to the forums.   But I am a bit confused - " I'm looking for a base where we can explore the local culture and meet new friends(local and expat)."   

You want a recommendation of where to live but NOT a gated community.  Ok for some a gated community is just that. I think you are saying you just don't want a gated community????

Many of us live exactly that way. I lived 7 years on the north coast,  4 years in Santo Domingo and  almost 1 year now in La Romana. I've never lived in a gated community.  There is nothing wrong with them if that is what you want and it works for many.

Are you wanting to rent long term or short term?   if it is short term then pick an area and start hunting online but it is best for anything several months or longer to come do the looking in person.  Stay in a hotel or airbnb  while you look for longer term.

North coast -  Luperon, Costambar, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete.
South Coast - La Romana, Juan Dolio
East - Punta Cana / Bavaro
North east - Samana, Las Terrenas
South West -  not really sure but lots of areas with light tourism.

Thanks for your reply Planner. How goes the farm. Told you I've been reading the forum :).
I guess I did put that wrong. I don't mind a gated community as a place to stay I just don't want to spend all my time in one.
We both enjoy exploring and meeting people. Just trying to get and idea where we should start so we can go to the local shops, buy produce from the stands find a good bar and be a part of the community not just stay in a nice prison.
On or previous trips the AI's crapped themselves when we would hire a cab to take us around "You'll be robbed, murdered or many other bad things if you go off the resort"
We did make friends with some workers at one resort in PP and have been to their home in the barrio. We were welcomed by the family and visit each time we come. No they have never asked for anything but we did bring  some small Christmas gifts for the kids.
I think PP is where we will start as we're familiar with area but thought I would ask for other ideas.
Might try a month in several places you listed.
Not looking to move just snowbird.

Welcome to the forum.  You will probably be best served by renting a condo or villa (gated) on the north coast and use that as your basis of operations.  Punta Cana is mostly tourists and not much "feel " for the DR.  On the north coast in the sosua/Cabarete area you will have a good mix of locals, tourists and expats living here.  Many places to see, lots of restaurants, shops, clubs, nice beaches and on and on.  The Samana are is another to look at but a bit quieter and in some areas VERY European (French).

As to safety if you are careful, use normal precautions, don't flash money or jewels you should be fine.  The resorts try to scare you so that you will buy expensive excursions from them.

Bob K

Las Terrenas is a really great place if u want beaches that are beautiful and limited tourists.

Canadasteve welcome.  Do you realize that you are responding to a thread that is two years old.  I am sure the OP has come and gone by now

Bob K