Garmin Device upgrades - beware of inability to shift maps over

Seems Garmin has a policy, currently, to sell a map to a device not the person.  If you acquire several country maps to one device, then choose to upgrade or replace a device, maps do not move forward to the new device.  Need to buy all of the previous maps, if you still want or need them, again.

It is an item to look at, when buying one brand or another.

Be Well and Cheers,

Gosh, and Google Maps does all that and just as well for free.......... forget Garmin, unless of course it's just a status thing.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Not a status thing, but talks to you along the way for turns, direction changes, links in on traffic issues.

Will take another look at Google but I thought Google you needed to be online to access.
The little black box was Sat linked so no need for internet (especially where none exists).

If you are looking for an alternative then you might want to consider Sygic. 

It is an app you download, you download the maps you want in advance (and update them when needed), it gives you the full features for a short while to try out then can buy a lifetime membership (which moves with you when you change devices) if you want.  I waited a while then got a special deal for lifetime worldwide maps.  It doesn't need mobile data and was great for me when visiting family as I have the maps for 2 countries on it at the moment and will download others when needed.

HTH

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR