Suspected Reasons Why You Could Get ATM Cash Only 50% of the Time

That percentage is an estimate, probably on the high side, based on my experience in Quito over the years. 

The following is based on fact and IMO informed speculation....

Top Ten Reasons Why the ATM Didn't Dispense Cash
                     From Your Overseas Bank Account

10.  You tried to exceed your daily withdrawal limit and your bank blocked your ATM card.

9.  You tried to buy a big-ticket item which would have exceeded your purchase limit and your bank blocked your card.

8.  The bank suspected attempted or actual misuse of your card number and blocked your card.

7.  You forgot to tell your bank you were going overseas and when you tried to use the card, the bank blocked it.

6.  You incorrectly entered your bank code more than once.

5.  Someone at the Ecuador bank failed to re-load the ATM.

4.  You were attempting to overdraw against a low bank balance.

3.  Your card had expired.

2.  You chose the Spanish-language option by mistake and confused the system with an unintended response to a question.

And the number-one suspected reason the ATM didn't dispense you the money...

1. The tripulación were taking a siesta!

The wife and I have in the past couple of months had the same issue.

I brought an extra ATM card form the U.S. just in case. We had no trouble using the cards all over Quito, Cuenca etc. Until a couple of months ago.

Out of nowhere, Cannot complete transaction ? I tried the usual, correct pin number, correct card, not overdrawn etc. Quite simply, one day it works and the next Nada.

I have studied this since, and at the Supermaxi the other day I had an Epiphany. The clerk was putting the customers card in a plastic bag... AHA. This leads me to think one of two things could be happening.

1. The magnetic strip after much repeated use become weaker and fail.
2. The card readers are not serviced enough, and as buildup occurs the cards fail to be read.

I performed an experiment to verify this. I used card #1 first, no joy, then card #2 nothing. Waited a few minutes for other customers, sane thing. Then moved to another ATM, it worked hit or miss for others. So I tried the newer card, no problem. Then the older card, at first no, then after vigorously wiping the strip it worked.

Although not conclusive, I think it is possible that the machines are not cleaned enough to compensate for the excessive use. Buildup of oils, dirt etc. on the card transfers to the reader and both prevent reading of the card.

This seams to make me feel better as I don't have to accept the fact that my card or bank is cutting me off.

Apparently it can be a combination of the card and the POS machine (POS = Point Of Sale, NOT what you were thinking...):

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- … s-1273.phphttp://blogs.howstuffworks.com/keep-ask … t-card.htm

GMC(SW) wrote:

I used card #1 first, no joy, then card #2 nothing....after vigorously wiping the strip it worked..

Wiping the card is a good idea. :top:

Additionally, I now carry my two U.S.-originated Visa debit cards in fitted plastic card holders.  I bought some sheets of clear plastic at a Quito stationery store and cut/trimmed them at home for this purpose.  This could theoretically reduce the possibility of de-magnetizing a card when it comes into proximity with other magnetized card(s).

cccmedia in Quito

I agree,

Of the possible situations available, I  would agree that demagnetization is most likely the most probable cause of failure.

As noted above, the number 1 reason you can't get your $ out of the ATM is because the card reader in the machine is crappy and the magnetic strip on your card is a little demagnetized. I just keep trying until it works. I've been desperate and kept trying dozens of times until.. magic! It worked.

JK,

I hear you, I do the same. It does get very frustrating at times, and I really wish some, what I would consider "Common Sense" would prevail on the part of the ATM owners.

But, as the Rolling Stones song goes, "You can't always get what you want".

My favorite place -- and in recent months, my only place -- to get ATM cash in Quito is at the machines at MegaMaxi Six ... at 6 de Diciembre near the Benalcazar bus-stop of the Ecovía line.

These two machines are from different EC banks, so if one bank system is problematic, the other one is not connected to / affected by the problem.  They are located side-by-side away from major foot traffic on the main upstairs shopping level between MegaMaxi supermarket and the food court.

In my experience...

-- These machines are never too crowded.

-- Nobody is hanging around lurking.

-- The machines are reliable for dispensing the money.  You always get a receipt.

-- You can get up to $300 from each machine.

-- The fee is $1.50 per withdrawal plus whatever your 'home bank' charges.

I usually access the cash before entering MegaMaxi to shop .. then find a little-used aisle in the supermarket where I transfer most of the money into my secret compartment. 

cccmedia in Quito