Car rental

Bonjour à tous.

Lookink for information on car rental in Écuator.

Leaving on the 22 of july returning on the 3 of august.

Arriving and departing from Quito.

Looking for your expérience and price with renting a car.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Je quitte pour l'Équateur mercredi le 22 juillet retour le 3 Août 2015 nous y allons pour faire du repérage et pour constater toutes les belles choses que vous m'avez dites sur ce beau pays.

Nous arrivons à Quito et repartons de Quito, pour assurer ma liberté je souhaiterai louer une voiture. Je constate que les prix sont élevés. Avez vous des recommandations à ce sujet.

Je suis présentement à étudier la compagnie Cuenca car share, c'est une jeune compagnie qui est établit à Cuenca et qui à un véhicule à Quito ( grand vitara) pour l'instant c'est le moins cher à 1100$ cad

J'attends vos commentaires

Merci d'avance

Jeff

English please.

Lookink for information on car rental in Écuator.

Leaving on the 22 of july returning on the 3 of august.

Arriving and departing from Quito.

Looking for your expérience and price with renting a car.

Jeff

Top Reasons to Hire a Car With Driver and Not Rent a Car In Ecuador

Car with driver can be less expensive.

Reduces or eliminates your responsibility in case of accident.

Less likelihood of getting lost due to lack of good signage and unfamiliar caminos.

Hired driver may know good spots to see, good places to eat, decent bug-free hotels.

And the number-one reason to hire a driver....

Relax and enjoy the beautiful EC scenery without being the driver yourself and having to take your eyes off the road.

Disclaimer:  pre-negotiate any hidden expenses with the driver or his agency, including meal and lodging costs for driver.

cccmedia in Quito

Cuenca Car Share has expanded to Quito, but I agree with cccmedia about hiring a driver and car. Way less stress, you can't trust GPS, maps are a rarity and road signs irregular.

Cuenca Car Share soins a élargi à Quito, mais je suis d'accord avec cccmedia. Beaucoup moins de stress, cartes sont une rareté, et les panneaux son irregulierre. S'il vouz plait, pardon mon francais! Bonne chance!

I agree that with very, very few exceptions, it is best to hire a car and driver.  The roads are not well marked, locations are not marked and there are more than a few things to be ware of when driving in Ecuador.
Not to mention being a passenger allows you to see the beautiful scenery.
Vaya con Dios

Do not bother.

I have rented a car several times in Quito. It is not like renting anywhere else on the planet. Upfront it appears easy enough, it is when you return the car that the fun begins....

If you must do it, this is what I recommend, and what to expect.

You will have a pending charge on your credit car for possible damages, up to 4k. Be sure to verify with your card company that it is just pending, not a transaction. Both during and after car return. You should also get the charge slip back upon car return.

Inspect, not just look at every inch of the car... the wheels, under body, bottom of fenders everything.. Point out Every scratch and ding you see on the body. Ponit out anything on the interior as well even a discolored piece of carpet.

I took pictures as well as the above, and it saved me twice.. Upon return they tried to say i scratched the undr side of the front air dam, which is a common thing and unless you get on your belly you would never see it. I however did just that and more, and i was able to show the marks were there when I got the car. They will nit pick everything, so it is better to CYA (cover your ass) with both hands. I took pictures of every angle top and bottom, inside and out.

Avis was the best to deal with and even spoke some English, stay far away from the small local cheaper agencies, it is not worth the risk or the potential hassle later on, the law will not be on your side.

Take all the insurance you can get, why risk it, actually read the rental agreement. It is not the same as the ones we threw in the glove box back in the US. YOUR INSURANCE FROM HOME WILL NOT WORK HERE...

Stay safe and enjoy.

Car rental is the easy part, it is the driving of said car which presents the problem.

I consider myself to be a pretty competent driver, I have raced both motorcycles, and cars which improves reaction time, control, and the ability to foresee potential problems. It also teaches you to know your limits.

I have been driving in Ecuador for almost two years now, when asked to compare drivers here and in the US, well.... My normal response is a combination of demolition derby and Nascar. I have seen some scary situations as well as down right stupid actions.

For example;
1. A pick up truck loaded with furniture etc. six to eight feet above the bed of the truck, with nothing more than a guy sitting on top trying to hold it all together.
2. An entire family, grandma, small children, two babies etc. In the back of an uncovered truck. many of them standing up.
3. It is common for traffic to jump or anticipate the light and start across the intersection before the light is even green.
4. At night many drivers ignore the traffic lights altogether, speeding through the intersection.
5. Double or even triple turns are normal even when there is a clearly marked turn lane.
6. Many drivers have the habit of occupying two lanes at once.
7. At intersections while waiting to turn, it is common for a driver to pull into the intersection ahead of you, blocking traffic waiting to turn.
8. Drivers will pull up and turn a two lane street into a three lane street, even when turning. Trying to now funnel three or four cars onto a two lane street.
9. Drivers appear to believe that as long as you have your four way flashers/hazard lights on you can pretty much do as you like and everyone else will simply wait.
10. Taxi drivers appear to think that they alone own the road and all others are simply in their way.
11. Small children, freely roaming a car in motion.
12. Babies, and small children with no car seat, and on the lap of mom in the front seat!!!! (Cringe) Can you say human projectile?!... I'm sorry, but I cannot even begin to understand what a parent could be thinking to allow this....

These are a small collection of the things you can encounter while on the roads in Ecuador. On a good note, if you have a good navigation system you will have it a little easier. Many streets are either not marked or they have worn or been hanged in such a way that you cannot read them from the street. "Waze" is the best aide to date that I have found. If you don't have it get it, you can use it on foot as well. Garmin as big as they are do not cover even half of Quito streets accurately, and when you get out of the city forget it.

As far as road conditions go, think wagon train through the Grand Canyon. Simply put, many of the streets are terrible to drive on. Many areas have an irregular surface, which SHOULD prompt drivers to use caution, not so. I have seen with my own eyes holes deep enough to cover an entire wheel. I have come across cables of various type and usage stretched across the road, while still attached to the pole. Drivers simply go right over, this is dangerous for several reasons.
Many sewage drains do not have a cover. Several roads can and do become flooded when it rains. Informational signs painted on the roads are short and frequently ignored. Double and even triple parking can be found.

It is common to find a car parked on the opposite side of the street, within five feet of a corner facing opposing traffic. The use of those pretty colored lights on the corners of the car, not normal. It is not uncommon to find drivers with no lights at all driving in the middle of the night. It appears that it is more desired to have your car covered with colorful blinking flashing lights, than it is to have the factory lighting working.

What really kills me, is that even the buses, emergency, and police vehicles are some of the biggest offenders... I commonly see police vehicles drive down my street with one headlight, no brake lights, using no signals etc.

When you take into consideration all the hoops one must jump through to drive a car in EC. it is mind blowing that so many drivers simply cannot drive... All I can assume is that it is a cultural thing, Even though they attend classes and are tested, no one follows the rules. The problem which perpetuates this situation is that there seems to be very little enforcement anyway. As a guest in this country, I will simply keep my eyes open and my mouth shut.

My best advise on driving in EC, DON'T, but if you do be careful. Stay focused and BE READY for anything!! The minute you take your eyes off the other drivers it will be too late. As a pilot you learn to constantly, scan your instruments and your surrounding area. Even though there may not be another aircraft in sight, it is a very important learned habit, that you must master and use. As a driver in EC, the same vigilance is required.   

Assume nothing, prepare for the worst case scenario.

Let another drive, sit back and enjoy the sites.

GMC out..