CATs to Mauritius

It was good to get advice from this site. Well, we have at last arrived in Mauritius with the Cat. It was nearly as difficult to get all the forms and vaccinations to get her out of the States as it was to get them for Mauritius.

She was really anxious and terrified when she arrived and covered in Dirt from the Hold. She was white and hopefully we will get her back to white again. Her water bottle and funnel were gone as was the bag of food attached.

She is now improving after 4 days in Quarantine and it is great to have her moaning at us again when we go and visit.

Would I send her BA again, never.

Veronica

Hi and Welcome,
I have to say I have never had any issues sending cats or dogs through BA. I see you came from the US, did the cat fly straight through from the US to Mauritius? or did he/she have to change flights?

They would normally leave the open water funnel attached to the cage, but food and water bottles usually disappear as they fill water funnel themselves and the pets are not allowed food during their flight unless a stop over  in an animal reception centre - have you ever seen the mess in a crate and all over the pet after flying when given food during a stop over and not in a animal reception?? Believe me it is not a nice sight or smell.

I am not sure why your cat should be so dirty, I have sent many white dogs through BA and all but one arrived OK, still clean.

If the cat had to change flights then the airport workers will have had to ofload her, she could have been on the tarmac for a little while and that is very dusty :(

Main thing is she is here now and I bet happy to see her mum :)

Hello

Unfortunately there are no direct flights from the USA to Mauritius, so she stopped overnight well almost 2 days in the UK at the animal reception where she was well looked after. I had been told to leave a small bag of food attached to the top of the cage so she would not be given food she was not used to.  She was not on the Tarmac at all, taken straight off and into the Reception Area. I guess they may have forgotten to put the water bottle back on, though I did talk to them by  phone. I was not concerned about the food as she would never eat anything during a flight, well she never has to date even when in the cabin with us on the 13 hour flight from Cambodia.

When she flew from Portugal to the States, BA will not let them in the cabin and she arrived  more grey than white, so I did not expect a pristine cat but  certainly not such a filthy one.  Took several days of me cleaning her and then 2 weeks of her cleaning herself before she looked like her old self and it did nothing to help her digestion...

But as you say she is just over the moon to be with us and just loves the garden, only thing to conquer now is the rather nasty cat from outside  who thinks this is his/her territory. and so now we have a white cat with a couple of bald patches! but we are getting there.

One thing I do have to mention is when I walked down the Path to the Quarantine facilities, my heart sank, but I have nothing but praise for them. Ok, they did not play or amuse her but she always had food, water, clean litter and the staff were friendly.. We even arrived a bit late one day and the gentleman let us in for a few minutes.