Buying a car from Zarqa Free Zone Vs Not

Has anyone purchased a car from the Zarqa Free Zone who doesn't qualify for a tax free car?  What's the process of
Paying the tax on it?  Are you able to find out the amount of tax you'll have to pay on a car when you are just looking? 

Is it safe to assume that I would save some money doing this Vs just buying an used car from one of the dealers or a private individual here in Amman?  Is the savings enough to make the process worth it?

Just FYI, visited there yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed. Lots of cars but felt like I was seeing the same car over and over and over again (If you want a silver Avante this is the place to go). Prices didn't seem any better than what I saw here in Amman, plus a good bit of the cars had stereo systems etc removed, were dirty, etc. A lot of cars that came from the U.S. Were bought as salvage total loss vehicles and repaired or being repaired here, but the final price was not that good for a salvage titled vehicle IMHO.

One guy even told my husband we shouldn't bother buying me a nice car because I'm probably just going to wreck it anyway. Not sure if his reasoning was because I'm foreign, a woman, blonde, combination of all the above, but I found it a bit insulting none the less.

My evaluation -- if you are able to buy a tax free car it's probably worth it as there are a lot of cars to choose from. If you are like me and are not tax exempt, it's probably worth a look (maybe not when its 104°) but don't expect to be blown away by good deals.

Kip98 wrote:

One guy even told my husband we shouldn't bother buying me a nice car because I'm probably just going to wreck it anyway. Not sure if his reasoning was because I'm foreign, a woman, blonde, combination of all the above, but I found it a bit insulting none the less.

Thanks for sharing  :top:

It has nothing to do with you being a woman, blonde of all possible combination.
It has to do with the situation here: drivers are very disrespectful to others, ignoring rules and everything in between. This can happen here because of the lack of police control, respect to others, safety is on a low rate and when you tell the other driver that he is wrong he will deny it.

Don't worry I wasn't that upset -- If I let little things like that bother me everyday would be a struggle here :)

You know though, I feel like I see less bad accidents here than I did back in the States.  Especially from living outside DC, I felt like I saw a really bad accident every other day there. Sure, there are lots of small bumps and scrapes here, but the driving here doesn't bother me that much -- now parking that's another story LOL.

Hi
I import cars and sell at the free zone , I believe buying from local seller is faster , saving time and money . It is really a hassle going and coming to free zone . I see many seller in desperate need of cash and you can get better bargains.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of further help.

Greetings

Hello Jacob,

I am looking to buy a used car from a seller out of Amman. However, the car is registered in Saudi Arabia and would involve having to go through Jordan Customs. Do  you have any advice about this process. Do you know approximately the amount/percentage of customs duties/taxes? Thank you for your time.

Hello zyamani,

Please note that Jacobemad is no more a member of https://www.expat.com.

I'd therefore request you to create a new discussion or to participate on the recent ones created by the other members of the Jordan forum.

Good luck.

Regards,

Sarvesh
https://www.expat.com team

I have not purchased a car there, although I had the intention since I am eligible for a tax free car.

My suggestion: Don't do it, since the process is painful I assume and the market of cars with tax included is  a million times bigger. Sure they are more expensive but the reason is also the tax and customs. So, buying it tax free and paying the tax is not much better, since it is easily 100% on the cars price, which is also not necessarily determined on the actual price it is worth or the selling price you agree on with the seller but set by the tax department and don't ask me how the decide it.

Better to look for a normal car on the used car market.