Phones and Wifi

May have a job opportunity in Libya within next 6 weeks

Q1- Phones is it best for me to purchase a world wide sim card(and buy unlocked phone) and use or is it cheaper with local sim ring back to the UK and say Cyprus

Q2 Wifi- need to spend a lot of time on computer- how is internet coverage- say in hotels etc or can i but local dongle on pay as you go without contract for my laptop and is this cheap enough

Q3 if the answers are positive what is the average cost in comparison to the UK or what in Dinars cost per minute or hour

Neil

bluesamber wrote:

Q1- Phones is it best for me to purchase a world wide sim card(and buy unlocked phone) and use or is it cheaper with local sim ring back to the UK and say Cyprus

You should be good with a local phone, no need to purchase ww sim. You can purchase a local sim from here for about 10 LYD.

Q2 Wifi- need to spend a lot of time on computer- how is internet coverage- say in hotels etc or can i but local dongle on pay as you go without contract for my laptop and is this cheap enough

On this I being very honest OK, it sucks so bad they have the WiMax and ADSL as means of Internet conns, for the ADSL you need a landline (So I'll pass in your case). For the Wimax dongle you need to purchase a contract agreement as I know and each month put 40 LYD in order to get the system rolling every month.

Q3 if the answers are positive what is the average cost in comparison to the UK or what in Dinars cost per minute or hour

For the Wimax 40 LYD every month and each month you have a monthly quota from the service provider of 15GB, if you go above this you pay more which will cost you 1LYD=1GB.

Neil

FireFox wrote:
bluesamber wrote:

You should be good with a local phone, no need to purchase ww sim. You can purchase a local sim from here for about 10 LYD.

On this I being very honest OK, it sucks so bad they have the WiMax and ADSL as means of Internet conns, for the ADSL you need a landline (So I'll pass in your case). For the Wimax dongle you need to purchase a contract agreement as I know and each month put 40 LYD in order to get the system rolling every month.

For the Wimax 40 LYD every month and each month you have a monthly quota from the service provider of 15GB, if you go above this you pay more which will cost you [b]1LYD=1GB.[/b]

Neil

You sure about this?

In my experience it was 10 LYD for 512MB.

Al-Madar to UK mobiles is around 0.8 Dinar (around 40p ish) per minute. It's per minute billing and not per second also.

HTH

Just maybe not sure about the 1GB=1LYD part the rest is the way I get it,,,,,

Thanks for the replies- quite cheap in comparison

For international calls of longer duration, people usually just use Skype or Net2phone ... the Wimax works quite well in most places, though there are certain areas where people have problems...
We had to pay about 500LD for the year for our connection & the contract says a max of 10GB per month and LD10 for every extra 500MB.

expatlibya wrote:

For international calls of longer duration, people usually just use Skype or Net2phone ... the Wimax works quite well in most places, though there are certain areas where people have problems...
We had to pay about 500LD for the year for our connection & the contract says a max of 10GB per month and LD10 for every extra 500MB.

I just renewed my monthly allowance, as stated on another thread, the monthly usage has now been raised to 15GB per month for 40 LYD.