What's most frustrating about Job Hunting in Norway?

What are some of the roadblocks you face searching for jobs here in Norway?  How different (or similar) is it to job searching in another country?

I lived in the UK for 2 yrs, from 2009 - 2011, and I find it intriguing that I got several interviews and 2 job offers within a month of starting the job hunting process. And I was in London, where the population (& resulting competition) is at least 3x that of the largest cities in Norway. I had no such luck in Norway. :)

The major difference I could personally identify is that I wasn't met with as much suspicion as I often am in Norway. Then again I have a very English sounding name. I don't know if people with names like Mohammed Saqid or Gokul Ramarasandaran are just as lucky.

I would be most appreciative if the community could share its thoughts.

The companies in norway prefer norwegian speaking candidates.  There are not a lot of international companies...even if you applied for one, the department head might prefer norwegian speaking candidates....

Hi Davina D,

You can also read the following thread to have an overview of jobhunts in Norway :

- Tips for getting your first job in Norway

Best of luck, :)
Bhavna

Thank you very much fornight and Bhavna! :)

Hallo!

I have lived in this country for many years and i think that here people are suspicious of people they don´t know well. They normally give jobs to those they know and that is why many jobs are not advertised. The most used method of getting jobs is through nav and it means that one has to go through job trainning for some months inorder for them to get to know you better . After the job trainning, If lucky, one can get the job

KAVI0165 wrote:

Hallo!

I have lived in this country for many years and i think that here people are suspicious of people they don´t know well. They normally give jobs to those they know and that is why many jobs are not advertised. The most used method of getting jobs is through nav and it means that one has to go through job trainning for some months inorder for them to get to know you better . After the job trainning, If lucky, one can get the job

Thanks a lot for your input, KAV! Much appreciated! :)

Its true the Norwegians are bit suspicious of people whom they dont  know. When I visited Norway in 2008 for the first time to visit my girl friend (she is from Myanmar but now norwegian citizen and I am from India), her norwegian native friends didnt like me. Some even advised her not to continue.During the course of time we got engaged and now got married this July. But I tell u now some of her Norwegian native friends are my best friends too.

Now God willing we are trying to apply for family reunion and hope we will be able to live together soon there. Also hope I will get a job there. btw I can speak little bit of Norsk now.

Thanks for your contribution sebikulu.  I agree with you  :)

Living in the UK and working for a major firm, I find that I get at least one phone call a day from agencies or companies asking about my availability without even applying for any jobs. They just find my CV online and enquire.

However I have been painstakingly applying for 4/5 jobs a day in Norway and havent had so much as a phone call/email for further information. It all seems quite an ignorant process, and if you are unlucky in applying you very rarely find out!

Hopefully someone will give me an opportunity and I can move over to Oslo asap, all I can be is positive!

I have the same problem
Hope you speak Norwegian....that may give you a fighting chance
I am now learning the language and I can feel your frustration
Do you have a" D "number yet