ADVICE NEEDED-MOVING SCHOOLS SCOTLAND TO MALTA

My current situation is as follows:
I am living in Scotland, and I will be continuing my final year of high/secondary school in August wherein I will take three subjects at advanced higher level (maths, physics and chemistry). However, my mother's fiance moved to Malta a few months ago for work, and my mother followed a week ago and now I am contemplating moving. I live with my father currently, but life is... without going into too much detail - I do not enjoy "living" as such... and I think a new start would be good. However my main concern is the schooling system - I could move for one year and then I could return perhaps... or stay... but honestly I need some advice regarding secondary schools as I do not want to ruin my chances of getting into university if they do not teach a similar course etc. I am a straight A student with the intentions of becoming a chartered accountant, so obviously this is the most significant concern. To be honest - I do not like my mother (I never have...) but I could perhaps "deal" with her in order to get away from this, so it isn't like moving will solve my problems... but maybe they would reduce being subjected to new things? Though I do have a boyfriend, some lovely friends and two EXTREMELY significant family members who I would miss dearly. Any advice would be appreciated.

RebeccaBrown wrote:

My current situation is as follows:
I am living in Scotland, and I will be continuing my final year of high/secondary school in August wherein I will take three subjects at advanced higher level (maths, physics and chemistry). However, my mother's fiance moved to Malta a few months ago for work, and my mother followed a week ago and now I am contemplating moving. I live with my father currently, but life is... without going into too much detail - I do not enjoy "living" as such... and I think a new start would be good. However my main concern is the schooling system - I could move for one year and then I could return perhaps... or stay... but honestly I need some advice regarding secondary schools as I do not want to ruin my chances of getting into university if they do not teach a similar course etc. I am a straight A student with the intentions of becoming a chartered accountant, so obviously this is the most significant concern. To be honest - I do not like my mother (I never have...) but I could perhaps "deal" with her in order to get away from this, so it isn't like moving will solve my problems... but maybe they would reduce being subjected to new things? Though I do have a boyfriend, some lovely friends and two EXTREMELY significant family members who I would miss dearly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi
      Sorry to hear  your problems regarding your parents  but glad to see you are sensible enough to  ask for advice regarding your situation.
My advice would be to finish your last school year in Scotland, moving to another country and trying to connect to a different style of education may impact your straight A results.

You can then  decide if Malta university is the place for you or perhaps consider a university in the UK.

Hope this helps,

Terry

I understand your move for a change but firstly, what type of Accountant do you want to be? CIMA (Management Accountant), this is what I studied or ACCA which is more Financial Accounting.  If you are planned on starting your career in Malta, ACCA is the main one, actually don't even think they run CIMA courses in Malta but you can still sit exams if you are doing it distance learning as the exams are run by Pearson VUE.  Check the ACCA and CIMA websites and see what exemptions you can get from the appropriate degrees in Malta.  I checked the ACCA website and with the BACHELOR OF ACCOUNTANCY (HONS) from the University of Malta you would get 8 exemptions which is actually very good, you would just have to sit F6 Taxation and then you would be in your finals.  I reckon not as many for CIMA because it is much broader and has 3 majors.  All depends on what area of Accounting you can see yourself working in. 

My advice would be to finish school in Scotland and then either study in the UK (much better career prospects) or study in Malta.

Although I wouldn't recommend it but you could just finish school and study either CIMA or ACCA distant learning and you can also get a degree this way (saving about 30k Euro in the process) but would require alot of dedication and hard work.

Best of luck

Hi Rebecca
Having worked with post 16 students in education for many years in the UK (pastoral not teaching),  I have to agree with the others on here - stay in the uk for now! The system is very different in Malta,  it would be a shame to go backwords - I say that because it has just happened to my son who is 14 and needs to repeat last year.
Why not come out to your mum for the October holidays - see what you think about Malta - it will certainly break things up a bit & give you some time in the warm. It is difficult when you don't get on with parents, but stay focused on your goal and you will get through it. I hope hope this helps & things turn out well for you.