Norwegian cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Norway?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Norway and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Norwegian food !

Can any one tell me where can I find that ! hehe

well, In Norway you will enjoy different types of sea-food

other than this nothing special

except for seasonal dishes, that are related to celebration, like Christmas or national day.

When i came here i tried some of their dishes there is one with lamb they call it "fårikal" which i am not fond off maybe coz in the Philippines we are not accustomed to eating lamb so the lamb meat isn't appealing to me but if you wanna try here is it's easy recipe : Fårikal Recipe

When it comes to a favorite aside from the christmas Ribbe which is seasonal and very similar to one of my countries dishes, i could say my choice is the Kjøttkaker which i can literally eat everyday and here it is so you can have an idea Kjøttkaker Recipe

Though I have a personal recipe i couldn't write it down since i'm not the type of person who writes my recipe so it varies everytime i make it :whistle: and i just guestimate with my measurements haha

*fond of  ;)

i dont know much about cuisines, as i am a foreigner in Norway :( but here are some foods i enjoy eating there...

salmon is a luxury where i came from... so when im in Norway, this is almost like a staple dish for me coz i like seafoods ;) usually just panfried with butter and garlic, and some vegetable sides (asparagus, broccoli or carrots),  served with either hollandaise, bearnaise saus or sandefjordsmør... tho not a fan of smoked fish,  so smoked salmon isnt my thing,  tho some people like them...

another one i liked was karbonader... more like a burger patty, and i like it served as an open-faced sandwich with some salad leaves,  tomatoes and agurk... tho i dont know any recipe, or any other ways to eat this,  or if this is even norwegian, hehe only ate the store-bought versions hehe..

Smørbrød is also common to serve on parties (i think, hehe) coz its easy to prepare or order somewhere... this is a set of open-faced sandwiches, one i had was a set with fresh salmon,  shrimps, karbonader (or a meat patty, i didnt ask) and one more kind i dont remember.... being a fan of seafood,  i liked shrimps and karbonader most..

in the philippines, we have our own verison of ribbe,  called "lechon kawali"... its roasted pork ribs with skin on, i think its slow roasted to achieve that crispy skin,  yum.! and i can eat this all year round.!! :) and since ribbe is a Christmas dish in Norway,  the ribbe pork is actually cheaper when its not Christmas :P

and i agree,  kjøttkaker is something like a regular meal for us in norway :) especially in days when im in no mood for cooking, haha.. there are already prepared kjøttkaker in stores,  serve this with mashed potatoes and brun sauce...

btw,  stephy,  that is the same recipe i used for kjøttkaker here in the Philippines (tho minus the beef, veal meats and allspice and clove coz i cant find those seasonings here)... may i ask,  did u use all the 3 meats on ur home-made kjøttkaker?? can u get ground veal in stores there in norway? honestly,  i usually have no idea what ground meat we take home haha with meat, i usually look for kylling (chicken) or svin (pork) or lam (lamb), beef no idea... haha.. but sometimes, it just say kjøttdeig... when i translate it's "minced meat",  so i have no idea if its pork,  beef,  or what... haha

My guess is that the ones we get from the store is often the regular ground beef like from gilde which is what i use often, but yeah you can get a veal one that is gilde brand too i think it says "kalv- kvernet kalvekjøtt"   :D

We never buy the ready made as my husband said home made is always better, as for my seasoning i just use all spice,garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and it gives a my own kjøttkaker version simpler without loosing the beef essence of the meat. So i can say i have a customized kjøttkaker and everyone here who have tried my version so far they love it  :top:

i too am no fan of instant food,  since being a filipino were used to home-cooked dishes, but im still finding my way into my husband's palate... :P he can be a bit picky and choosy sometimes :rolleyes: i have a couple of dishes he like, but none of them were norwegian dish :(

i had tried a home-made kjøttkaker here in the phils for my daughter,  but not yet for my husband... will surely try it when i get there,  and see what he prefers ;) thanks for the tips stephy :) but did u use the ginger? i think its what separates kjøttkaker from other meatballs/meatcakes, and gives it that distinct taste...

Yes i have tried sometimes with ginger and i have tried without, and both ways tastes good :)

I'm sure you too will both adjust once you regularly cook for him :)

Out of everything I like about Norway food is very low down the list. Its bland, its basic and its almost to a rule served with boiled potatoes. Even Norwegians Christmas dinner would not be out of place as a Joe average Sunday dinner in the UK. The Sea Food here is first class but then so is the Sea Food from Scotland, considering Scotland shares much of the same water as Norway that's not really surprising.

Norwegians it seems get by on a day-to-day basis on Pølse, boiled potatoes, Tacos, (that for bizarre reason are made with Minced Beef and taste awful) and Pizza, maybe a piece of fish but again done as basically and quickly as possible.

I personally believe this is because both partners have to work in Norway so there is little time for the enjoyment of making good food. Norway, like Scotland was very poor in the past and like Scotland the National Dishes reflect this. If you ignore the benefit and minimum wage class in Scotland the Scottish have moved on from that but it appear that's not the case here in a far wealthier Norway. The amount of ''Cosy oss' pictures I see on my Facebook feed of Norgies posting Truck Stop quality food is really quite astounding.

If there is one food Id take back to Scotland with me its Fenålar, its great to nibble on and the saltiness goes great with a cool beer.Pinnekjøtt is something we also take home to Scotland as we have grown to like it, but what what it is its really over priced.

Come to Norway for the scenery and the people, foodies will be mildly disappointed to say the least.

You can watch this video to understand some basic things about how Norwegian cuisine is  :). Remember to subcribe the channel if you want to watch more videos about Norwegian culture and cusine :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZYFZFFvV0