Safety in Tanzania

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Tanzania?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Tanzania and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi Christine,

There were many times i wished Tanzania would have been a better place if people could walk safely without fear day or night. Though we feel it is safe to walk during day time but we do it with alertness. There is always something reminding us back of our head.

Anyone can be a victim at anytime in this place. So move with care guys.

Nevin

I try not to walk alone if I can help it because I have been bothered by people on the street and I am very conscious of other people's experiences with bag snatching etc.  I also have had unpleasant  remarks made as I walk by.  I remove all valuables if I have to walk and I would also never walk at night. I feel most vulnerable if I have drawn cash from an ATM.

You need to spend 5 minutes on the streets, no matter your age, or the fact that you are wraped from head to toe, the amount of haresment is beyond any discent words, that I want to display in this post, and with that off course come the safety. From kids runing towards you, grabbing wathever you carry, to adults passing rude and obnoxious comments, that you ignore trying to make your way from point A to point B, makes you wonder, do they teach this kind of animosity in schools????  And the courtesy of drivers,;well that's something else to be desired. You have "questionable characters" storming in people's offices representing themselves as the authority, threatning and demanding money. Well I guess you get a picture of safety and how safe one can feel here.

Hi Madam,

well before writing my comments i spend few mints to read others comments, some i agree but all over security level is quite ok i belong from pakistan, i was working in print media in Tanzania, from 2008 and now am procurement manager in construction company, i do travel alot in tanzania specially rural areas and different cities, safety its count the way of your living, as am very familiar now with system and areas and also known of language for me its not much difficult to live their and yes i can walk alone day nd night alone comfortable if am ok with my migrant status i dont have any problem to do that, plus i agree the security departments like police they are their always everywhere sometime abit sturbon with foreigners its true and demands bribe that time we got no choice to solve the problem unless we bribe, but their is also very supportive and cooperative department call anti corruption which works good if we go through perfect source, some place in dar es salaam are not advisable for foreigners to move alone because of not known of local language and mostly Tanzanian citizen of those places are illiterate were you can fight but if communication if perfect with them they are not bad they are also cooperative as per my own experience, in the offices the bribe system is true its their but why you or me i do bribe because we have also something behind which we doesnt want to be checked or go through long process and we do take shortcut but if we need to do something in right manners its also possible which need straight job work and all required details available.

these are some facts as per my own experience living their !

thanking you

Muhammad Adnan

Hello Christine,

I am living in Iringa region of tanzania,Iringa is much safer than dar es salaam and other region of tanzania.I can walk freely on street even at mid night.

But if you are planning to travel this time, i suggest you to travel after october because in september there will be elections and people are telling that situation will not be safe during elections for outsiders.

Doesn't matter how long you've been here (20yrs myself and speak excellent Swahili), doesn't matter how friendly and aware of the local customs you might be, but even if you are to take a stroll between Seacliff and Slipway, considering the amount of incidents on that road, u can't help but wonder "why bother", rather go for a swim. That said, unlike on Zanzibar where you are surrounded by "tour guides", Massai, beach boys, if you want to enjoy the nature, mingle on the market streets, enjoy long walks on the beach Pemba is a deffenetly a place to go. But do respect their customs, don't walk in shorts and bared shoulders if you are a lady, don't go topless on the beach as the bunch of Italian tourist I saw last time. If you are on the beach use a kanga (kikoyi). And during the holly month of RAMADHAN, don't eat or drink, nor smoke on the streets. and if you live in Dar a weekend on Pemba is a welcoming getaway. We stay at Misali sunset lodge, close to Chake-chake, it s a decent and clean place, the food is really good and affordable and as a resident you can negotite the rates, (90,000 tzsh single, 120,000 double). But you can really enjoy yourself, the views will take tour breath away, and make you feel as you are the only person on the planet. Again, always have someone awaere where you are going, don't use local busess for transport as they drive just as bad as in Dar, don't carry valuables with you, and expensive cameras unless you are in a big group, and don't encourage the bribery. There is planty to see in Pemba and you will feel as you have stepped back  in a 19 th century.
this is a beautiful place, and in order to enjoy it you need to accept the fact that this is what it is.

Safety in Tanzania?
I have been living here for close to 3 years and of late, with my family.
I have heard stories and then incidences of robbery, Twice it was with my close associates (once it was an expat)

More or less, it's peaceful, safe to go out during the day, and probably during the night if you avoid walking alone.
In my understanding you should expect the same risk in Tanzania as you would do in Europe or Australia or in India as expats.

You can't always blame the rouges out there if you don't know what to expect from them. Goons, rouges always will be on the prowl for gullible, unsuspecting guys. Avoid dark streets, don't carry too many valuables with you than is necessary, get to know at least a bit of Swahili as soon as you arrive in Tanzania, and some similar precautions.

Be careful, Tanzania is and will remain a safe and peace loving country. You can be safe only if you know how to be safe. You can't expect to continue to have all the freedom you enjoyed back in your country soon as you arrive. Point is, avoid flashing wealth/gadgets or roaming carelessly as this is likely to attract trouble.

Alevoor Rajgopal