Safety in Sweden

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Sweden?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Sweden and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hello the community
I would like to start by saying there is no place in this world to be safe 100 %. But for me here who lives in Sweden the level of criminality is low. We don't have to forget to cause of criminality, racism, discrimination , jobless etc...
I have walked here the day like a night without problem, for me the situation is better than others countries.

Me too i am intrested to be aware of the security level in Sweden cauz i will be there nexr August  for an intership for 25 days ,So thank for asking this relevant question  :)

a few shootings here and there

I feel very safe here. It is sort of hard to get out of your comfort zone once you get there. I can not imagine living somewhere else on Earth. Maybe Norway, their money can speak to me ;).
I am not in unconditional love realtion with Sweden. It is kind of bitter sweet relationship. However, I really like Swedish police approach and lack of prestige in a contact with an average human being. My bike is still outside attached only with a chain to the wall. I lost my wallet and id - got it back on the same day in a perfect shape. I do not get any thrill on my way back home by night. Just try to not expose yourself to extraordinary risk factors and you do not need to worry.
Malmö, however, is far from my wish list when it comes to place so called ´´safe´´.

Ps. To raise my adrenaline level I plan my trip to Israel within 2 -3 months. Good food and blue beach can speak to me to :). Next on my list is Iceland. I do not know why. Just like the idea. I guess Iceland is much more safe than Sweden.

Hej!!!
I live in a quiet little town north of Karlstad and here there have been a couple break ins at the petrol station or Konsum. I come from South Africa, where you dont go anywhere alone so the level of safety here in Sweden is crazy to me, I can walk, day or night, alone and not be worried. We visited Göteborg and heard of a couple shootings but never witnessed anything unsafe. Sweden is wonderful.

I'm an American who has lived in CA and NC.  I've traveled to most states in the U.S. and to a dozen countries outside the U.S.   I've spent time in Stockholm and Gothenburg but have been living about an hour outside of Gothenburg for nearly 2 years.  Sweden is one of the safest places you'll visit.  There's very little social unrest.  You'll be shocked that you rarely ever see a police car.  There's very little for them to do.  Crime does exist but it's a rarity in comparison to other places.

I am here short time, but I feel here much more safe than in Poland. In Poland I lived in very similar city - regarding size and location close to capitol as well, so I can compare. I am not afraid to go for a jogging here alone in the forest close to my home, while I was afraid to do so in Poland. Of course everywhere in the world something unexpected can happen, but here is really much more safe for normal everyday life. If you do not seek adventures you will not have them here I suppose :)

Every time I get home from a vacation, I just love the feeling of "safe". You hardly ever even see a fight, in a night club or in the streets. The highest level of crime one would experience would be stuff like theft of a bike because you locked it like a retard. Violent crimes are very uncommon, Swedish culture is very non-confrontational. I don't want to jinx anything, but it really is rare. I lived here all my life, have never been robbed or beaten but been pickpocketed a couple of times, lost some bikes and got car burglured (?) a couple of times. So I guess I have never felt unsafe, in like 35 years.