Safety in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Saudi Arabia?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Saudi Arabia and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Christine wrote:

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Saudi Arabia?

Yes 100% safe as a guy, can't comment for single females

Much much much better than my own country in all aspects. Level I would say among the safest place on the earth. Example - I forgot my iPhone on couple of occasions at different places and I always found it back.

Oh yes 100%, again I'm talking for a male. No idea for females.

Criminality - no, not at all
Social problems - might have, but I don't have any direct dealing with it.
Tensions - that's everywhere, only the type changes :)

Share with us your insight on safety in Saudi Arabia and in the city you live in.

I live in Riyadh for the last 5 years and have never faced a situation which I would say unsafe, mind you, except on the roads. That's the only unsafe thing in this part of the world.

Cheers :)

Christine wrote:

Hi,

Yes, it is much safe here than my own country!
but not 100%, it depends on your looks and nationality,
for example if you are Asian and you have less hair in your face, i mean beard mustache etc. you'll get at-least 2 - 5 times sexual harassment in a year. ( base on my own experience ) 
there will be times that some cars full of guy will stop in front of you and will try to talk  to you, and sometimes they will really try to caught you.and if they caught you, ( i don't know what will happen to you) i don't know why they do like that? they also like males? when you are going by taxi, sometimes those taxi drivers they like males also ( own experience a guy showing his genital to me )  :dumbom:
even if you are not gay, you'll get these kind of attention. so it is not safe to walk around at night in isolated area  :o

safety level is quite high. in scale of 1-10
i can say its 8.5

depends on gender, male can walk freely and safe. ( but depends on your looks )
still it is much safe if you have companions
at night it is better not to walk in isolated places/area.

crimes are in very low rate!

this country is much safer than my own country.
just medical care should be improve a bit.  :D  ( i think medical care is also have a big role on peoples safety )

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi,

Yes ... alhamdulillaah (all praise is to God) - feel very safe. Even though I do not fully speak Arabic, I do not feel intimidated or worried

Extremely safe. However, being a single female here is very hard,  In America, I felt safe but still a bit uneasy because I wore hijab and would get many stares and odd looks.

absolutely. but its not a regular practice for women to walk around alone. however, it is not about safety, more about cultural practice. but women walking in groups is common.

no, not high to my knowledge. Gratefully, i haven't seen any.

I live in Taif, but often travel to Jeddah and Makkah. Taif is a smaller city therefore it's easier to get to know the locals. I like seeing regular faces at the shops and local souqs. This brings a feeling of comfort and safety.

Hi. I have lived and worked in KSA for six years.

I do feel safe and have never felt threatened in anyway.  However, I am male, 6ft tall and 200 llbs.

The most dangerous activity here is driving, as no one follows any driving rules and behave extremely erratically when behind the wheel.

The Police can appear intimidating, but mostly leave westerners alone.

Safety is another matter for lone females. My wife will not travel in taxi alone due to bad experience she had with Pakistani taxi driver when  she first arrived.

Threat of terrorist attack is no worse here than anywhere else, in my opinion. In fact with so much security present, it is possibly harder to carry out attack here than in the west.

Extremely safe for both male and females. The most dangerous place in saudia are its roads. Drivers are very very reckless and consider themselves as jet fighter pilots.
Women do travel alone in taxis and shopping malls though it's advisable to travel with a friend just as a precautionary measure. Language Barrier is the biggest problem as even the best of locals struggle with their grab of English vocabulary.
I have lived in Riyadh for just over 3 years but I know few friends and colleagues who have been
Living in Riyadh for 3-10 years now without any major issue.

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is the safest place on this planet, I am living here for past two decades and has extensive travelling from east to west and north to south, even border ares..............middle of night or middle of hot days, when there is no human being on roads.
al-hamdolillah, except your vehicle breakdown/trafic hazards !!!, there is no worry at all, of course Allah's fear is dominant being Muslim.
interesting and unlikely .............saudi police or army is not holding machine gins and tanks ,yet Peace prevails at no cost.

I have experienced the life in melbourn,NY,NJ,CA,Hollan,even switzerland,Taiwan, Honkong,Afghanistan&Pakistan

KSA stands No-1 for all time safe for an individual or family,  Muslim or non believers, local or expats.

solute to KSA and prayers for its growth and safety
Khalid
Jubail-KSA

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, please do not post your personal contact/mail on the forum.

KSA is safe but not really, driving is the worse in the world and you could loose your life for nothing.

Awww such nice comments ... where are all the ksa haters ? bump it up:

Criminality: Yes, it's not reported as much. But you'd be surprised with (pardon my vocabulary) that goes down here.
Social Problems:  no comment...
Tensions: meh

Jeddah: most liberal city of KSA
Riyadh: Worst of them all, I don't care if u belong to Riyadh. it's the worst, the city, not you sweety!
Dammam: They got Bahrain and belong to minority
Najran, Jizan and south area will give you feel of Yemen
last but not least
Makkah - crazy people who belong to city of almighty Allah's house. Surprise surprise
Madinah - most humble, down to earth, kind, peaceful, loving, caring, etc etc. You get the sense of feeling, it's the city.

And yes i'll repeat, Riyadh worst city to live in!!

Hi to all
My  opinions if you a guy dont worry you're safe but if female specially young one

YOU WILL GET RAPID ON THE STREET

Medorf wrote:

Hi to all
My  opinions if you a guy dont worry you're safe but if female specially young one

u mean guy will approach her rapidly to give their phone numbers?

Interesting, never knew such a thing existed. Will give it a shot! Thanks for the heads up

Hahahahahahahhah  :o:one  jocking

Medorf wrote:

Hi to all

Guys
I meant KSA not good for females because people her thay are trying to get laid with cats on streets as thy never sow women or girl on thy hole life
If any girls dont wherein abayah thy think she's a ***

Reason : Please use an appropriate language on the forum

Criminality - no, not at all
Social problems - might have, but I don't have any direct dealing with it.
Tensions - that's everywhere, only the type changes

Sir, there is no place in the world that has no crime, for what I experienced here in KSA I think people here are kind of hungry of human flesh. even for a male we can't be so sure that you are safe, if you have no beard you better stay away from them or else you will regret.
there was an incident in Riyad 2 years back 1 male has been raped by 4 locals and they found the body in the desert and thankfully he is still alive and rushed to the hospital.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : message edited - inappropriate comment

Having lived in Saudi Arabia for the last 16 years in both Riyadh and Dammam I would say the level of safety for me (being a male aged 43) in Saudi Arabia is 9 out of 10.  I can walk anywhere around the Eastern Province or Central Province during the day or at night without fear (except when crossing the roads which have dangerous drivers)!!

16 Years ago there was very little crime in Saudi Arabia, however, this seems to have changed over the years.  You can no longer leave valuable items sitting in your car in Riyadh as you will find the windows smashed and the items missing.  Just as you can no longer leave your door unlocked due to the possibility of an opportunistic thief stealing valuable items from your home.  (there are many expats in Saudi who do not have the relevant Igama and have to find money from somewhere).

Yes, the country does have some social problems and tensions, however, they are no different from any other country and probably less so.

Food and the cost of living in Saudi Arabia is lower than in most other countries and I feel relatively safe when walking around, talking to the locals who always go out of their way to assist you.

Those have differences . must have courage to include their name atleast.

I agree courage is not absence of Fear.........................but its free from any fear
wassalam
Khalid Nadeem
Jubail

Look guys

Lets be honest Saudis needs centurys to learn how to deal with females
If she where's pant she's ***
If she where's skirts she's erotic dancer
If she where's short !!😲😲😲 ***
This is how they see

Reason : Please use an appropriate language on the forum

Level of security for me is much better than my country.
I can go out for long walk anytime i want to. I have been here for the last 6 years worked in South region, abha, najran, jizan and later in west region jeddah.

There are still some areas inside big metro cities where crime rate is high. Like manfoha, hara in riyadh and khumra, nuzlah in Jeddah. But the over all security for me is very satisfactory.
I would rate it 8 out 10.

This is the problem here Mr. Pingsamee,
the authority here is not fair with the expats not unless you are from western country then that is another story.

I would say safety is best in Saudi if you are willing to abide by the Saudi rules and regulations.  If you are willing to adapt or simply accept the fact that their custom and tradition are different from where you belong (your country).  I mean to say respect their laws, respect their custom and tradition, Saudi is safe.

Whatever they say NO, do not do it, regardless.  If you come to Saudi for WORK, make sure you are only for WORK.  If you don't bring your religion, custom and tradition, you are safe.

You can walk alone anywhere if you are a man, but still be very careful and avoid dark and isolated places where a Saudi man can take advantage of you, especially fair-complexioned Asian. 

Of course, Saudis can be dangerous but always "be at the safe side."  Do not go out during wee hours, night time or anytime of the day unnecessarily.  There is no night life here in Saudi, why do you need to go out during wee hours?  If you think of your safety first, you are safe. It may be boring but discipline yourself, you are safe.

Of course, a woman should be much more careful than a man.  Local woman wears abaya which covers every part of her body to avoid being a subject for lust.  So, being a woman grows in other country who does not do what Saudi does,do what is advised you have to.  Cover yourself with long gown abaya. Wear abaya and dress conservatively.  Do not go out alone. It is unsafe for a woman.

Respect their custom and tradition, you are safe regardless of sexes.

hello,

I have been living in saudi Arabia since 2001, I only witnessed 3 cases when I had several seal, once from my car and once from my house once from my bag in the market.
I believe last 4 years safety becomes much better.

Saudi Arabia in comparison is a safe haven unlike most nations.
However be careful  of people who may disrespect you because of where you come from or your gender.
single women here don't drive be careful when taking taxis bad things have happened to women
Men who come from consavative culture s perceive lone women as immoral and treat them as such.
Therefore best taxi drivers choose Indians and you are sure of your safely-  for female .
driving on highway is nightmare learn to be safe from fast aggressive driver's
maintain safe boundaries with locals outside work place's and you will be safe.

I have been working in different parts of saudi arabi for 17years. What i can say is that you are safe if you have your own car.
Nationals (man) intellect or attitude is not the same from outside this country.
They admit that they are Sex Maniac in nature. All what they could think is to have sex. Whether you are a man or a woman they dont care...

This is base on my interviews from 85 different persons (only nationals) on different occasions and different year...

So my advise. Daytime is Fine. Never stay out late at night or else you'll meet trouble...

If youre a woman (especially aisan) never walk alone in narrow streets. Rape here is like amok. 1 will rape you the others follows like anomals. And no justice because police will not catch anybody.

I remember 1 day 1 lady rushed back in our grocery store crying and told me to come with her because 1 nationals bring out his penis ang masturbate in front of her. She was so terrified. Thats 12 oclock in the afternoon...

This country is a safe haven for Gays around the world... they are treated here as ladies...

Untill next time...

yes i feel safe here ..can walk without fear.

I am a single woman from France living in Jeddah for a year.  I do a lot of things on my own and usually use street taxis to go places.  I find saudi arabia very safe compared to western countries. No drunk people in the streets,  no rape,  no thieves,  no drugs around, no violence. No country is perfect but there are not too many countries as safe as saudi arabia in the world.

I agree with you 100%

I leve in jeddah
There is no crimes
It's a quiet town
You can be out last night and go anywhere and you are assured

Manny Pacman wrote:

This is the problem here Mr. Pingsamee,
the authority here is not fair with the expats not unless you are from western country then that is another story.

Interesting...care to share some more light on that ?

I'm an indian lives with family in Riyadh
Do you feel safe in Saudi Arabia?
Ans- yes
Ans- 7 out of 10
Ans- yes but afraid of thief's
Ans- no
Ans- 100% safety,  Riyadh, Deerah

It is one of the safest countries in the world. There is literally no crime and if there are things going on against the law it is hidden so it doesn't effect society or community.

Any time of the day is perfectly safe but usual care and precautions should be taken. Hardly any social problems or tensons.

hi
i feel safe in saudi no daut here u can travel any where in midnight u feel safe of roberry or other crime but
here only the problem is of accident here all the people will drive at max speed of 120 to 150 the saudi govt has to take step in these regard.

Great Day! its a pleasure to discuss this topic or share my experience with all of you guys! with all respect to K.S.A i would like to express my view of point regarding this matter. Just like all other nations in the world this place also has equality in regards to pros and cons. According to me i am afraid that i could give a 100% grade on safety concern, unlike the crowded places the isolated area is more dangerous to walk in alone. There is a high probability of getting robbed even assaulted. Now let me tell you my personal experience I am an Indian National working here in kingdom with my parents here.Once my mother came back from her night duty (she is working in MOH) at morning 7.30 am one guy rushed towards her and pulled out her handbag but she refused to give ; this guy hit her with a wooden piece with a nail on the edge of it right on the head and with out any fail he took the bag and ran away. She had minor injury with 6 stitch on her head and had a rest of 15 days to recover.

This unfortunate event happened in the area of shumaisi ,this is not only the experience of me but also many peoples living in shumaisi every now and then it is happening.

So i would like to use this opportunity to tell you all the readers here to be very concerned about this matter especially working women , Don't walk alone through  the streets of this mentioned area.

Stay Safe!

definitely this is not the fault of this wonderful country please consider this message as a awareness against very few among tremendous population here.

Thank you :)

I hv been living here since last 10 years.
yes i feel safe.
i give 9 out of 10.
M a night walker n it does take me sometimes 1-2am to reach home. Alhamdolillah nothing did occur till date.

Regards

Hi regarding safety in Saudi. I would agree totally that Saudi is the safest place on earth for both genders. The only times I felt unsafe was when 1. The bus I was travelling on was routinely stopped and all passengers were required to show their documents - if your docs are in order then you have nothing to worry about, 2. Some/many youngsters ignore the traffic regulations and drive too fast; there are thus many vehicular accidents although not involving  pedestrians.large (r) Cities are usually high accident areas

My responses as a female middle aged woman wearing black hijab and black abaya...

At times yes, at times no.  I had colleagues that would make safety comments that were not very funny.  Many expatriates I knew there had been in Saudi several years but were leaving.  My apartment did not have any security.  My friend's apartment had a military security officer with a camoflauge box, but the security officer was usually out of his station in flip flops playing candy crush on his phone on the other side of the road...so well, not sure she was any better off.

There were 2 bombings in Eastern Province and a lot of people start trying to bring up Shia/Sunni issues.  Sometimes it creates tensions and makes people go on witch hunts. 

Absolutely not.  I could not run at all.  At night be sure people will think as a woman that you are asking for men to stop, leave their car door open as they tell you to get in the car (strangers), and even in the day you will get men honking horns and slowing down to follow you and scream at you.  This is if alone or in a group of women. 

Yes, if anyone does anything wrong, people start saying they must be "shia" based on very strange reasons they "observe".
There are fights and people stab each other
Nobody can talk about fights, sexual issues, it is like everyone knows things going on but nobody can talk about it, the ostrich syndrome.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi what do you mean about medical care?

HumHum wrote:

My responses as a female middle aged woman wearing black hijab and black abaya...

At times yes, at times no.  I had colleagues that would make safety comments that were not very funny.  Many expatriates I knew there had been in Saudi several years but were leaving.  My apartment did not have any security.  My friend's apartment had a military security officer with a camoflauge box, but the security officer was usually out of his station in flip flops playing candy crush on his phone on the other side of the road...so well, not sure she was any better off.

There were 2 bombings in Eastern Province and a lot of people start trying to bring up Shia/Sunni issues.  Sometimes it creates tensions and makes people go on witch hunts. 

Absolutely not.  I could not run at all.  At night be sure people will think as a woman that you are asking for men to stop, leave their car door open as they tell you to get in the car (strangers), and even in the day you will get men honking horns and slowing down to follow you and scream at you.  This is if alone or in a group of women. 

Yes, if anyone does anything wrong, people start saying they must be "shia" based on very strange reasons they "observe".
There are fights and people stab each other
Nobody can talk about fights, sexual issues, it is like everyone knows things going on but nobody can talk about it, the ostrich syndrome.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Poor people of eastern province...I feel ya

I have been living here since 15 years with my whole family I'm Pakistani but I feel safe here in Saudia ALHAMDULLIAH IM satisfied 😊😇

Saudi very safe !

Hi I live in Madina city ,in Saudi Arabia , It is completely safe here no fear.