Safety in Nicaragua

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Nicaragua?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Nicaragua and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

We have lived here for 6 years. Nicaragua is very safe. Can you get items stolen from you? Yes. However a few precautions can prevent this. There is extremely little violent crime committed against Expats. Isolated incidents yes but rare.
Walking down the streets at night ? Just be careful as to what part of the city you are walking in. I feel safer walking down the streets of Managua at night than I would walking down the streets of Houston, Chicago or LA in the day time. Here you may get robbed but the chances of being beaten or killed are very slim.
Some people will say that the police do not keep records or report violent crime against expats but this is not true. They work pretty close with the American Embassy when violent crimes are committed against USA expats.
Nicaragua wants to start the tourist industry but they haven't learned to walk yet in that direction. Too much old school here. CORRUPTION.
Most expats are not bothered by anyone while here. We have been accepted by our Nica neighbors and feel very secure in our community. We have informed our neighbors we are not in the banking business so don't ask. There is a saying here that if you give them a hand they will chew it off all the way to the shoulder. This does not mean you can't be friendly just firm in your convictions.
The government is fairly stable at the present. There are no death squads dragging people out in the middle of the night. There is no war going on. I have never been in a country where everyone is happy with the government.
My wife gets in a car and drives from Quilali to Managua does her shopping and returns. She does not feel in danger except for the mountain roads. She has had flats and being from Texas and ranch background she can change a tire. The natives in most instances will help her out and expect nothing in return. She just locks all the doors and has the key in her hand when they are near the car. She also has a 9mm Glock in her purse. Legal of course. She has never needed it. I would not allow her to make these trips if I feared for her safety.
You have people on this site that will tell you real horror stories but most of them are probably BS and very isolated. Some say they have lived here for years and give all types of negative reports on the safety in Nicaragua. Many live in a walled city of expats which come closer to being a prison that a home. My question to these are if it is so bad, why in the hell are your still here?
Yes, Nicaragua is very safe. We are responsible for our own safety and our actions and inactions will determine how safe we can be. If you come here living in fear for your safety, this may not be the place.

I have lived in Nicaragua for 14 years, I have never been accosted, I walk in the evening.  I do not carry a purse around but this is the way I behave in every country.  I feel very safe here.

cool comments i have just made meeting in Nicaragua embassy about retire in Nicaragua they welcome me so friendly the ambassador it self  :)

i'm from very far place of Nicaragua so they have no visitors , from my country so they welcome me friendly

I have only lived Leon for three months but I feel safe.  Most people are polite and pleasant.  Because of their social skills it is much harder for a black man to adapt.  I love it here and I have begun to win over neighborhood.  Outside my  neighborhood I take precautions to be more aware.  It does not seem more dangerous here than in the states to me.  My mother taught me stupid does as stupid is..  Don't be stupid and make yourself a target.

Roberto

Despite the fact that Nicaragua has the lowest crime rate in Central America — lower in fact than the United States — as a “wealthy” foreigner you may be considered a potential target by thieves.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post external links to your blog