Safety in Mozambique

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Mozambique?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Mozambique and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi

I would not say that the safety levels in Mozambique are enough for you to go around walking in Maputo. The best security strategy is to go around in a car or taxi (if you can afford it). Getting around in the night could be dangerous as the streets get very lonely and the street lightening is not good, if you do go out make sure you are going with friends and in a car.

To be more secure or attract less attention, expats need to leave their fancy cameras and phones at home and go out with simple and knackered clothes.

Mozambique is like any other developing country in the world where poverty and unemployment is prevailant.  There is a crime problem.  There are unsafe areas.  And if you look and act vulnerable you will must likely be victimised for it.
However saying that and comparing it to South Africa there are some striking differences.  Example they won't kill you to Hi Jack your car.  And I haven't heard of someone raping a grandmother just to steal a television set. Being in the security indu in Mozambique we see and hear about a lot of crime.  The majority is opportunistic.  The are obviously syndicate criminals who plot and plan robberies,  and there's obviously a bias to rob ex pats. The logic here is that ex pats have a lot of money. 
So be wise.  Be sensible and be Street savvy.

Dear Administrator

Yes you can walk at night and day without any incidences. Again depending on where you live largely you will be okay. Personal experiences on robberies, I have lost a car that I rented out and when I took the robber to the police but went scot free after bribing an act I refused to do. I also have a friend who took his car to a mechanic and the mechanic refused to return it all these cases were treated with you are a foreigner in our country if you were not here it would not have happened up to now we have never recovered the cars now two years down. Been robbed mostly batteries from the cars at night in the home head lights, jerks they break windows in the city. The police here are very involved in this organized crimes. Otherwise Murders and violent robberies very few. At night when driving especially end month be carefully of the police they could easily rob you if they realize your accent is different.
Musa.

Hi ,

Thanks for the feedback .

it is therefore not advisable to travel alone at night ? for eg for dining out ?

How safe is it to travel in night if one has access to a car ?

it is also a big hurdle if one does not know Portuguese because it will be easy to make out that the person is a
foreigner .

Hello,

According to a friend who is living in Maputo, it is good to own a guard dog for house and personal protection. However, he also said that in general Maputo is quite safe, as long as you behave and don't do any stupid stunts. That applies for all countries and cities I guess.

I was though stunned about this article in PCR blog, which is about safety in a changed America;
paulcraigroberts.org/2015/07/28/somebody-please-bring-freedom-democracy-america/

i.e. Paul Craig Roberts (PCR)

Ola Achatt

I do business and live deep inside with the general population been around for over five years. If you choose to live in the upmarket zone there will be very little incidences. In the middle class security will and must be taken serious. I have quite a few real time experiences that are not good. The police will handle a case based on who between the fighting parties pays more bribe.
There are areas you will drive, dine, move around anytime without any problem 24/7 like polana, sommerchield. and within the city center. Other areas be ready for anything.
You can drive safely your private car 24/7 again depends on where?
Language will always complicate you. But if you are well documented and legal no problem.
There are though many other positive things here.

In Maputo generally its very peaceful except for a few areas within the locations where its dangerous over night and peaceful over the day. The people in Maputo are peace loving and very social, good people we can say.

Hi Good evening,

Maputo is a nice city,i like the place,

And 100% safety is question mark in all the countries i visited,

However until 18.00 hours i am feeling free to walk on the streets,

Here only problem is the police they are giving the special attention to the expatriates when they are seeing us in the road, :)

Otherwise nice place to pass the time.