Safety in Malawi

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Malawi?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Malawi and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi

I have recived a lot of critism in the past for giving my honest opinion of living in Malawi.  The main reason is that my experience was not entirely positive.  We were told it is a very safe country and some I know who visit briefly will say it is wonderful.  One of the key reasons we left was because I never felt safe,  I was the victim of an attempted mugging but luckily i got away with it,  it serves me right for thinking going to the market would be safe,  I was stupid and naive.  My car was once surrounded by protesting children, yes that's right children,  adults were incouraging them to commit vandalisim and to hit passing cars.  My son who was 6 at the time was with me, it was terrifying.  In the center of Blantyre I did walk alone but I was alway vigilent,  I never went down alleys.  Driving, keep your doors locked.  When driving at night never stop. Car jacking did happen while I was there.  One incident a colleague of mine, who always belived she was safe, had an incident when a man jumped into her car at the roundabout.  Eventually he left but stole her bag.  Four friends of mine had violent break in's where their pets were murdered and they were beaten.  Another 2 colleague had relatives who were shot, one did not survice. 

No doubt there will be comments saying what nonsence it is perfectly safe. It's up to you to decide who to believe.  At the end of the day Malawi is a 3rd world country with a president who teaches them to blame ex pats and the western world.  There is hatred and racism.  Just be aware