Safety in Laos

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Laos?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Laos and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I personally do feel safe here in Laos.

One can walk freely around Vientiane at night as most tourists tend to do as the night is cooler and one can find a place to have a cold beer or 2. Lao people in general are not aggressive which I put down to them being Buddhist. 

Crime is around and there has been the odd bag snatch, motorbikes being stolen, houses broken into. Police seem to be arresting more people now on drug related crimes, usually trafficking and selling. Human trafficking makes headlines now and then too. Police tend to make the most of any major arrests with newspaper articles and on TV.  These types of crimes seem to be on the rise but as yet do not involve Western expats, only Asian expats.

Last year my then 18 year old daughter was in a shopping mall near home with her 8 year old sister. She went to make a call on her I Phone when she was they were approached by 4 guys who demanded her phone. Sensibly she handed it over and away they went. No violence or aggression.

As in any country you should always be aware of your surroundings, don't attract attention and do not argue or raise your voice to any Lao. Be cautious when making friends, don't flash cash or jewelry around.

I feel safer walking around in Vientiane at night than I do in Sydney, Melbourne, or any big city in the world.

Just an update on the safety in Laos topic.

I was in the Immigration office in Vientiane to renew my visa and got chatting to 2 Dutch couples and 2 Swedish girls.

The Dutch had their bag snatched which contained their 4 passports but no cash or credit cards.

The Swedish girls had their hotel room broken into and had passports, cash, credit cards stolen.

Laos is a safe country to travel in but there is never a 100% guarantee that it safe all the time.

If traveling together please carry your own passport and documentation with you and not all in the one bag.
Do not leave any valuables in your hotel room. If the hotel does not have a room safe then ask if have an hotel safe.
Better to ask if room safe is available when booking hotel.

Emergency phone numbers as follows.
Police  191
Ambulance 195
Tourist Police 192  They speak English.

Medical centres
Alliance International Medical Centre 021 513 095
French Clinic 021 214 150