Safety in Greece

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Greece?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Greece and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I can not  write for the safety in   Greece.... only for how safe you can be in Thessaloniki ..

As always... Use your common scene,   don`t go down dark alleyways...   & don`t get distracted into watching some fight etc.... & then getting your  pokcet picket......

Thessaloniki has NO Problems   ...   all the supermarket   shelves are full..   there is no problems with  the Banks...      for tourists   with cards from out side of Greece  ... they can use as normal...   :D

I have lived in Thessaloniki for 20yrs....   & never had a problem...

And I don`t have or see in the future a problem in Thessaloniki  .... :)

Show your support of Greece...   come over  for a visit... it has the best prices & exchange rate for a long time... SHOW your support of Greece    it`s the safest place on Earth ... :)

I can only understand this question if one is of Indian or African descent,  considering Golden Dawn's position or has never lived in Greece, BUT in that case you are VERY!!! LATE!!! in asking this question. 

On the island of Aegina I feel 100% TOTALEY, ABSOLUTELY, VERY SAFE and As  caucasian in Athens I feel the same.  After living in London Athens is so much better feeling to me but like London where there are LOTS of places I would not go late at night in Athens there are a SMALL number of places I would think hard before going.  None of feeling I have are as bad as the feeling I had in London.

BUT if I was not Caucasian I would have more concerns over more parts of Athens.

I hope this gives a clear insight.

Steve

Hello every one , i am not sure what you all people  hear from the News or newspapers i do nOt listen to TV or read the sold out to the ELIT  Newspapers
Greece is as safe as ever ... we short of cash paper cash money , so IF YOU COME TO GREECE AND PAY IN CASH you will get discounts !! No shortage on food , medications or anything like that , No Riots nothing is going on, IT IS ALL POLITICAL between Greece and Germans ..
Yes it is  more quite than usual because people are worried
br
Maria

I came to a small island in the Dodecanese in November 2012 to house sit for a friend for the winter months. I am retired and in my early 60's and run my own website which deals with the flora and fauna of this island. At the end of the winter I was offered a further house sit nearby which seemed to be an opportunity not to be missed. I took it and I am still here nearly three years later and I now have a partner (English and working locally) who is here very much for the duration. The island has a population of about 2,500 of which there are about 120 British expats.
It became very clear to me that a very small number of these expats (4, initially) were very jealous of my presence and did everything to make my life as unpleasant as possible through constant intimidation and malicious gossip. Eventually one of these four took it upon themselves to assault me, seriously injuring me, resulting in a several broken bones and claiming he and his wife would run me off the island. The episode was witnessed and reported to the local police and further attempts to intimidate were made later that summer. I might add three of these expats were serious alcoholics, generally they are not liked by the local community and their presence here, I am assured is tolerated but not liked.
My dealings with police was another matter entirely. Domestic abuse, as they see it, is dealt with by the family, so their comment, repeatedly was sort it out among yourselves, or take it to the public prosecutor on the nearby island of Rodos who will remove the offending person. In any event the police spend most of their time processing refugees and have little time to deal with foreign disputes. (It was even suggested by a local policeman that he could provide somebody who would sort it out).
Well, I am still here, the local people are very supportive as are the majority of the expat community and without that support I would have left a long time ago. The intolerance is still there but by and large the nastiness is out and everybody knows where it comes from, so these 4 or 5 people now leave me alone, and I can enjoy the island, its wildlife, and the very, very generous Greek people who live here.
(I might add that I was  counsellor in England working with women who had been abused by violent men. The irony of my experience is not lost on me!)

hi
there is no problem in safety at greece .............its ok.
if you follow the standard safety in the european country

How about safety in America?!

hi EVERY ONE yes I think 100% safety in Athens for tourist and for foreigner who living in Athens. I have being living here more then 9 years. still now I never face any difficult situation. I think who have plan to visit in Greece I would like to advice them no any reasons to cancel booking. yes some times hear about pocket picker but it very small number.i always working night sift I am cook for four star hotel. my duty 6 kilo. from my house some times I return from duty mid night but never face any problems.
al last I would like to invite you all traveler enjoy Greek summer I am sure you will try to come here again and again. this is very beautiful country. here you will find many ways to enjoy your life. I love much more this country I pray Greece will recover very soon. history said greek fall down many times and rise again and again. GOD BLESS GREECE AND GREEK PEOPLE.
                               THANK YOU.

Yes i felt very safe in Greece, even as a woman. I lived somewhat outside of Athens, in Glyfada, but I walked around very late several times. My safety never felt threatened. People will not bother you usually, everyone is very peaceful.

In glyfada , of course you feel safe
come to Patissia and then come and tell me, "yes i feel the same...."
it's not that I'm not supporting my country but in the center where I grew up, needs lot of improvement and attention
that's it

hi there maybe you are right but I think not so serious situation in Athens center mostly where living lot of foreigner. I agree near patesia and omonia some where we find activity addicted people but they are never disturb us. its very small number. thank you

yeah, of course, it's a small number fortunately but you have to be aware of all the time :):)
especially when you are a woman... :(:(
I love my city, I love Patissia and I would never changed it! :D:up:

yes its true for woman is some kind difficult to move along there omonia, patesia and platia americh. but just for this very small area we should not judge for all Athens.
yes friend it is difficult to forget our child hood place. any where we move for our life, we can forget many things with out our mother land our childhood friend our first love. this three relation we can't remove form our heart. its good, you feel your childhood place you miss your child hood friends. we are same. thank you for replay.

Patwary ...   may I ask why you gave the answer U did..?
yes its true for woman is some kind difficult to move along there omonia, patesia and platia americh 

Why is this..? 

I`m interested....!?