Safety in Australia

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Australia?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Australia and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

No, I dont feel safe in Aust and it IS NOT safe in Aust. You have a possibility of a stranger coming to ur assistance, but girls and women are taking high risk going out at nite. There's a new party biseness becoming very popular here now involving ' a social party gathering ' of women, light drinks etc. with a paid, trained 'mugger' instructor to educate them on desperate measures of self defence. This involves , eye gouging, and other desperate techniques to gather a moment to get to safety. Beware, I personally, feel safer on the street in Asian countries. The ' ICE ' problem continues with little success to control it. This, and Gov inactivity has possibly caused a dilema we still yet to see the peak.

Australia is such a big place, that no answer will cover all places.

Some parts of Melbourne City, Sydney City and Brisbane City are bad, and some adults may express concern walking alone, but some parts of Queensland you regularly see kids of 5 or 6 walking to school alone.  This was a massive surprise to me when I arrived in Queensland, after living in a part of New South Wales that I considered not too safe.

What I did notice though, was that I never allowed my child to go alone. My experiences of life in the UK and in Sydney had hardened me to consider safety more than the locals who knew the area better.

So, in general you can find Very safe or not safe areas in Australia.

What I do see a lot though, is news reports of crime are very noticeable in Australia. Almost all crime seems to get reported.
Local news headlines had a youth being hit in the head by a bat. When talking to UK friends they say that type of thing is so common, that it would never hit the news.  In Australia it hits the news as it is NOT common.

My experiences have been:
UK (almost half my life):  1 car stolen (Countryside), 1 car broken into (Countryside).
Australia (almost half my life):  1 car stolen (Cheap Sydney area), 1 house broken into (Sydney City).
No violent crime in either country to me or my family.

Overall for safety..  One of the safest places in the world for me, as long as I avoided the few known dangerous places. But most Australians will avoid those newer areas, and leave them to the newcomers that choose to settle in those particular areas.

Hello, I have been living in Perth for the past two months.  Overall, I feel safe and have gone out at night by myself a few times, however I have been "smart".  Not walking in the street, not getting drunk and not accepting rides or drinks from men that I just met.  I do use Uber - which is very popular in the US.  While Uber is controversial in Australia, I have had good experiences with  Uber in the US and Australia.

It is a mixed..I was in Adelaide for couple of months...some of the suburbs were known for junkies and thus to be avoided after sunset.

The topic it self scary, I moving to Brisbane with my family within two weeks. I have never made any reasrch about that subject!
Do I have to rethink about my moving from gulf countries?

eng_s78 wrote:

The topic it self scary, I moving to Brisbane with my family within two weeks. I have never made any reasrch about that subject!
Do I have to rethink about my moving from gulf countries?

There will be parts of Brisbane that are not good, and to be avoided.  But some parts are perfectly safe.

Where I lived last, (in brisbane area) I recall a local newspaper headline on crime.  Garden Gnome stolen overnight !!!
And the local police still try to remind people to lock their doors at night.

What part of Brisbane are you going to ?

Thanks for the advice. Basically, I am going to rent a ahouse in South area mainly Durack suburb.

BR,

Areas of Brisbane, and all cities almost everywhere, can often be evaluated for safety by the property prices.

Crime tends to be more common in the lower cost locations.

This is not always 100% accurate, but it is many cases.