Safety in Argentina

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Argentina?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Argentina and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

How safe is Argentina? What a question. It's like asking “how long is a piece of string.” There's not enough information to properly answer.

Where in Argentina? Safety for tourists? Travelers? Natives? Ex-pats?

What time of year?

Provide more information behind the question and I”ll be glad to give a more precise answer.

Generally, Argentina is as safe than most major American cities. As long as a person uses some common sense, they typically won't run into problem, as long as we're talking about murders. Theft is another problem and that's a little higher than a person will find in America.

Just lie in America, or even many of the world's largest cities, a person can walk safely, day or night. Just use common sense.

You wouldn't walk around SouthEast Washington DC, at night, with an expensive Nikon hanging around your neck — so don't do it in Buenos Aires

Bottom line? Use some common sense — oh yeah, and try not to look like a tourist. It's not only embarrassing for the rest of us, but it sets you apart as a target.

Jerry Nelson
Buenos Aires

I have been in Buenos Aires for almost 2 years, The worst thing that has happened to me traveling alone is get pick pocked on a train outside of the city. Having traveled most of the USA, Mexico and Europe, I would consider Buenos Aires to be very safe for a city this size.  I have seen tourists loose their IPhones right out of their hand while talking and not paying attention to their surroundings. Most of these cell phone and camera thefts have occurred in the tourist areas like Calle Florida near Plaza San Martin.
Just pay attention to your surroundings and carry your valuables in a pack strapped to your front or your chest, instead of wearing it on your back.  :top:

Here is a blog I wrote recently on safety in Argentina

englishgaucho.blogspot.com.ar/

David Cummings
Estancia La Margarita
Provincia de Buenos Aires