Anyone for GOLF

I heard there are good golf fields in Riyadh. I always wanted to learn to play golf and if theres someone interested to play I would like to go. I dont know any infos about this in Riyadh.

Anyone?

There are several of us that play (most likely better than I), but my co-worker plays a lot.  Arizona is nice (only 9 holes but can play twicce around).  Few others that I am aware of, one way outside town but pretty $.  Suggest we try to organize something.  See if others are interested.

Perfect! I see that you already have golg cap. :D

Maybe we can start so if anyone want to join in can come too. well make short briefs after every session. :)

Dirab was the premier grass course in Saudi which I was a memeber of last time I lived out here. Great facilities but a long way out.

Was told over the weekend that Dirab is struggling with the quality of the fairways and some greens. The other option is Riyadh Greens, which is newer, maybe not as established but could turn into an excellent club/course.

For people learning it is best to get some organised lessons in a group or individually before stepping onto a course. That way you will have more fun when you actually play.

MaserMan wrote:

For people learning it is best to get some organised lessons in a group or individually before stepping onto a course. That way you will have more fun when you actually play.

Really useful mm2 thanks.  I check out Riyadh Golf Course website and they only make reference to men - so I have e-mailed them to check if women are included in their membership / golf playing options or not.  Will come back on this.

Will be good to know as I am undecided whether to rejoin Dirab or go with the new boy in town :)

Dirab is the pricey one my co-worker went to. It is nice, great setting, but a good 45 minutes outside of town (or at least from the Granada center area where we are).  Suggest more budget approach first and closer.  I consider myself pretty much a hacker but I enjoy myself no matter what.  My Ping-Eye 2's are back in the states (bringing them back w/ me in Dec).  I'd have to rent a set but I won't use that as an excuse.

hey..i'm interested and so is a friend, we are on top of finding out all the details and starting off very soon...and probably in a low flying (budget) zone for a start...let me know the details as soon as you finalize anything.

Siraj

Just keep a close eye on the trees and fire hydrants, please

I was just at the Riyadh Golf Course (not field!) last week.  Hubby played with a threesome (two women and a guy - so yes, women are allowed to play (in golf attire - not abayas!  :lol::lol::lol:)  on the weekends. 

Hubby said the course (greens & fairways) was great!  They have a full membership and a part-time membership.  I believe the part-time membership was 2K SAR per yr and 100SAR each visit for the round & cart, which if you play, is a very good price!

The facilities (Club House & Restaurant) were nice too.  Way nicer than Dirahb. 

And they have a women's Spa there too that's open to anyone, but you need to make an appointment.

That sounds good, must take a look and see the place for myself.

MaserMan wrote:

That sounds good, must take a look and see the place for myself.

Indeed, sounds great.  I am there on the 18th anyway.  CAF, thanks v much for this information - really useful to have.

Well, will any ladies be up for a group lesson (intro to Golf)?

I've played for years! 

One of the best vacations that hubby and I have taken was to a week long Golf School in PA/USA.  I actually thought he was crazy when he told me where he was taking me bc I wasn't a player at the time.  But we had a great time learning the game, meeting new friends and enjoying the course and the area of the country that we were in.  I've since recalled many of the lessons when Im out on the course trying to decide which club to use or depending on the lie, which way the ball will go...  :D

Got my son lessons, told him I would never teach him cuz I tought myself and all I have are bad habits.  Serial hacker.

Yes, despite the lessons, we are pretty much hackers too, who go out to have some fun.  We are both competitive as hell with each other - its pretty funny and we have a great time.  :top:
Im not one to join a league...  Too many rules!  :mad:
I just love the social nature of the game with hubby and friends.  So when I want to pick up, take another shot or throw my club because of a bad shot - I can!  :D:D:D
Hubby loves to play and does so, way more than me. 
We also love the Best-Ball or Captains Choice Tournaments in the US.  Again, very social and fun for all!

Looks like we have a number of golfers on here, what about a forum golf get together?

Could be fun.

I like it!  :top:

We need to get some specifics from the Golf Course and see what we are allowed to do and how many we can have participate.  I can't image it would be all that difficult,  maybe a couple/three or so foursomes...  BUt with the good weather, Im sure we would have to plan a few weeks out.  Lots of local golfers in town!  Way more than I would have thought given the location!  :D

Into best ball.  Makes for rapid play and less stress on players.  Me being one.

It may be very prudent and wise, in this age and time, for all women to learn how to swing a nine iron ...

MM, I couldn't agree more!  lol:lol:

Tiger Woods wife would endorse that sentiment I'm sure.

Oooops. ex wife. LOL

Riyadh Golf Course confirmed the following:  memberships available for men and women. Associate SR- 2000.00/ for men & women same price. Full membership fee SR- 6000.00 / yearly and enjoy unlimited golf 12 months, just pay the buggy.

2011 is certainly going to be a great year for women golfers across the globe without a doubt. Thanks to the Tiger.

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

Riyadh Golf Course confirmed the following:  memberships available for men and women. Associate SR- 2000.00/ for men & women same price. Full membership fee SR- 6000.00 / yearly and enjoy unlimited golf 12 months, just pay the buggy.

Just phoned and they told me that it was SR 12000 for full membership.

The SR 2000 and SR100 is much better value as I would have to play 100 times to break even, unless of course that is restricted to weekdays only.

Too much for simply hitting a white ball around a green and then getting hit by the Mrs on the driveway.....

MaserMan wrote:
gowiththeflowUK wrote:

Just phoned and they told me that it was SR 12000 for full membership.

The SR 2000 and SR100 is much better value as I would have to play 100 times to break even, unless of course that is restricted to weekdays only.

That's good to know.  Also, today I got their newsletter update and they confirm the following:

RGC management preparing the Oct monthly open golf tournament Sponsored by, FALCOM for more info please find the attached flyer (you will need to register on their website for that - free), Also would like to inform the regular greens will be re open for the weekend..

I am seriously considering a few lessons to see if golf is something I could be interested in.  Especially as I found out yesterday that one of Ian's nephew is getting married in Mauritius next year and there is a wonderful 18 hole golf course around the hotel (:top: YAHOOOOOOO!!

MM2 - yes, its a much better deal for us too!  :D

Go - Can we come too?  :P  lol

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

I am seriously considering a few lessons to see if golf is something I could be interested in.

I'd be interested in trying it out, too.  I tried once, years ago.  Only thing I remember about the experience is my hubby got hit in the head with a ball (and NO, I didn't do it!).

I might go hit a bucket this Friday again, but meeting w/ Musicman to do some event planning in the AM Friday.  Maybe I'll venture out in the afternoon.  Gonna play it by ear.

CivEngr wrote:

I might go hit a bucket this Friday again, but meeting w/ Musicman to do some event planning in the AM Friday.  Maybe I'll venture out in the afternoon.  Gonna play it by ear.

How can you play with your ear :P

I have big ears

CivEngr wrote:

I have big ears

You know what they say about men with big ears.... :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

CivEng and I plamned to meet on Fri at 9 am to try and figure out how best we cud do a possible Friday event with multiple activities.

Apparently we cant do anything this Friday until we agree that his place is suitable for the occasion.

Max has a plan B I presume? Maybe we can thrash that around if we do wanna meet this Friday but its still tight to seek who will attend and what events to put together.

Lets hear you guys (unisex) out, please!