Reallocating to Mexico

Hi, I am originally from Mexico, but currently in the USA. Nonetheless, I am moving to back to Mexico, Queretaro within few weeks.  Since I was a foreigner in the USA for 5 yeas, I now appreciate diversity and love meeting people from all over the world. If you need any help on visiting Queretaro, please let me know. I would love to meet you no matter where you are coming from and show you Queretaro around.

Best of lucks on trying to move into Mexico!

Hi

I have excepted a English as a Second Language position with Berlitz.  I taught for 7 years after I retired as a marketer of orthopedic implants. I have studied Spanish via Pimsleur and Learn a Second Language in you Car. So, to really improve moving to Mexico seemed to make a lot of sense. I am hopeful to meet people who live in or near San Luis Potosi. My interests include hiking, mountian biking, screen play writing, shooting video of interesting people and places, going out for coffee and discussing the news of the day. Enjoy racket ball if it is available. I am interested in helping people who play music get their band videoed.

Hi Craig,

I will be moving to Queretaro which is close to San Luis Potosí. I also enjoy biking and hiking and would love to help you out with your Spanish. I am Mexican, but I am currently living in the USA, PA. However, I will be reallocating to Queretaro in three weeks due to my job. I have lived 5 years in the USA and will miss it and its people. So, I would certainly love to do biking and hiking with you.

Hi Omar,

I would like to move to Queretaro as well.  I live in Michigan currently and was wondering of how to approach a US company in Queretaro to hire me and transfer me there.  I am in IT a Java Developer and thought it would be easy but considering that local Mexican nationals can fill the position I expect I would not be considered.   My wife is Mexican so I would be able to get a work permit I suppose.  I am kind of caught in a pros and cons situation.  I want my wife to become a US citizen and that requires us to live here in the US at atleast 6 months each year for the the next 3 years.

Thanks,
Daniel

That's a hard question, Daniel. For me, I wanted to stay in the US. I graduated from college here in the US and got a working permit in the US for a whole year. After that year, my company applied for my H1B visa, but unfortunately I was not selected. Coincidentally, this year the company, Whitford Corporation, opened a new office in Queretaro and they offered me an job there as a an alternative. Thus, I do not know think I can answer your question from my experience because I did not intentionally seek relocating to Queretaro , but instead it just happened.

I would certainly say that it would be helpful if you make your desire to move to Queretaro known to your company, specially if they have offices down there. Also, yes it is true that your position can be filled by Mexican nationals; however, they would certainly hire you if you have the Spanish skills and if you are ok with actually making less money since your salary would have to be adjusted to the Mexican labor market.

In a nutshell, I do not think you would have a problem finding a job down there if you are ok with the cons.

Omat. Thank you for replying. If you are moving in 3 weeks that is about the first week of August. I will be in SLP the 4th week of August. I will send you an email when I firm up my plans to head south. I live in Louisville KY at present. The weather here is inferior to SLP. Therefore, I am really looking forward to getting out of town. Craig

Hi

I would contact the Lake Chapala Society directly by phone. The number can be googled and they respond back quickly by email. When you get there it will feel a little like Palm Beach, Florida. There is a book you can down load on your smart phone called "Moving to Lake Chapala by Lisa Jorgensen. I very organized American citizen. In her book she explains Chapala to its smallest detail and all the activities there are to do. A tip to the wise, some of those who live Chapala move to Baja to be closer to the ocean or somewhere cooler or somewhere with more to do. Of the two  big expat towns Chapala offers more friends immediately than SMA I think,

That's a hard question, Daniel. For me, I wanted to stay in the US. I graduated from college here in the US and got a working permit in the US for a whole year. After that year, my company applied for my H1B visa, but unfortunately I was not selected. Coincidentally, this year the company, Whitford Corporation, opened a new office in Queretaro and they offered me an job there as a an alternative. Thus, I do not know think I can answer your question from my experience because I did not intentionally seek relocating to Queretaro , but instead it just happened.

Thanks Omat,

I have been to Queretaro now a few times on visits, and  I really like the city.  I have had many different scenarios floating around in my mind on how to make it there.  I know atleast that I will be able to make it there for vacations for now and I will stay in touch and give you an advance notice when I will be there and we can meet up for a coffee.

Glad to meet and make new friends.
Thanks,
Daniel

Hi. I would like to read why you like SMA more than Chapala. I visited SMA for 11 days and became bored. I kept thinking "this town really needs and ocean". To me SMA is just a Mexican Solvang town. (Solvang is a Swedish tourtist town just north of LA). It's cute, nice restaurants but after three days it is time to go home.  I felt the same way leaving SMA. So I was thinking that I need to go to Chapala because of its large on line bragging about the Lake Chapala Society and all the interesting activities they organize. So, please tell me why Chapala maybe a bust too. I am thinking I would much prefer PV, Manzatlan now.

Hello everybody,

First of all, welcome to expat-blog! :)

Note that a new topic has been created from some of your posts on the Mexico forum so that you can link up and interact with each other.

Cheers, ;)
Bhavna

I have been living in Zacatecas for 7 years but am looking to maybe move to a couple of places in Queretaro state, Tequisquiapan or Bernal.  It would be helpful if you or anyone else can tell me how to get to those places by but from the city of Queretaro.

Thanks in advance.