Getting a cat from Spain to Malta

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting a cat from Spain (Malaga or Seville airport) to Malta? At the moment I have the option of taking him in the cabin with Vueling in a tiny cat travel bag which means he wont be able to move for about 12 hours as the bag dimensions are ridiculously small, or the one and only pet transport company I can find (air couriers) who will get him over to Malta as cargo.

Any recommendations for pet transport companies who cover Spain to Malta or reassurance about taking cats in the cabin in such a small bag?

Thanks

Kat33 wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting a cat from Spain (Malaga or Seville airport) to Malta? At the moment I have the option of taking him in the cabin with Vueling in a tiny cat travel bag which means he wont be able to move for about 12 hours as the bag dimensions are ridiculously small, or the one and only pet transport company I can find (air couriers) who will get him over to Malta as cargo.

Any recommendations for pet transport companies who cover Spain to Malta or reassurance about taking cats in the cabin in such a small bag?

Thanks

If the cat is allowed in the cabin in a bag, there are flights from Spain to Malta with a stop in Zurich which only take 5 hours total and you could perhaps let the 'cat out of the bag' in the stop over! Swiss Airlines for one.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Ha ha I can imagine running round the airport after a mad cat if I let him out! I've been warned to get him a harness and lead as they'll make me take him out the bag and walk through the xray machine with him which should be a laugh!

He's got the all clear from the vets this morning so looks like he's fit to travel anyway, it's just getting him and my slightly unhinged 3 year old to Malta on the same flight now - I'll be needing a stiff drink once I get to Malta that's for sure!

Kat33 wrote:

Thanks Ray. Ha ha I can imagine running round the airport after a mad cat if I let him out! I've been warned to get him a harness and lead as they'll make me take him out the bag and walk through the xray machine with him which should be a laugh!

He's got the all clear from the vets this morning so looks like he's fit to travel anyway, it's just getting him and my slightly unhinged 3 year old to Malta on the same flight now - I'll be needing a stiff drink once I get to Malta that's for sure!

Why not use a bag for the three year old as well !

Ray
;)

Ha ha as long as it's soundproof I'm up for it ;-)

Hiya, we moved from Spain to Malta last August with a dog and a cat in the cabin we flew from Seville as last year there were direct flights from there with Vueling unfortunately they aren't offering that flight this year.
It was fine but obviously it was direct, there are some vueling flights from Malaga that only have an hour waiting in between flights so 5-6 hours as opposed to 10-12 , my son is in Spain at the moment and comes back on one of the short connection flights believe me I've done the 10 hour one waiting in Rome for hours it's no fun!!
The other option is get the train to Madrid ( depending on where in Andalucia you are) and then get a direct flight from there with Vueling.
One of my work colleagues looked into transporting his dog from Andalucia to here and it was almost impossible to find someone who does it so he ended up driving but it took days and cost 1000s in ferries , hotels etc and he said he wouldn't recommend it.
Good luck with your move

Thanks for that. We pretty much found the same as you did. It's ridiculous trying to get animals over to Malta from here.

We're doing Vueling from Malaga with a short stop in Barcelona. We got Easyjet from Seville over to Malta last time we lived there - so much easier, but of course they don't accept animals even if they did still do the direct flight.

It's going to be a nightmare, especially with a bored toddler in tow too, but I keep telling myself it's only 6 hours and it'll be worth it in the end.

Don't suppose you know of any cat friendly boarding kennels over there do you? We have to put the poor old thing into a cattery when we get there as he isn't allowed in our temporary accommodation. I've found 2 so far on the island (one in Naxxar and one in Marsaxlokk I think) but haven't heard back from them yet and couldn't find details for any others. Thanks :-)

Hiya,

We sometimes use the Kennels near Naxxar for our dog, Tat-targa kennels, they also take cats but I know they get very busy in summer The cat we came with wasnt ours it was my bosses but we all travelled together, I know they use a lady in St. Paul's bay, but if you're on Facebook there's a great page on there called RUBS puppy love on there you will find loads of people who do pet sitting in their own homes I also use a lady off there who is based near the Airport but she just has dogs.
It's a shame your temp accommodation won't allow the cat its defiantly more difficult to rent somewhere here with Pets, in Andalucia it never seemed to matter but owners here a lot more picky when it comes to pets, we are lucky our landlord was fine, but my bosses landlord made them pay an extra months deposit to ensure the cat doesn't damage anything or cause a nuisance. ( yet they rent to students who quite often trash the places!) makes no sense.
Good luck with the move, Malta certainly isn't the easiest place to get to from southern Spain!
Kelly x

Thanks ever so much Kelly you're a star. I wouldn't mind my dear old cat barely even comes inside and has never clawed any furniture - my kids are more of a nuisance! They should charge extra for them ha ha!

Thanks again and have a great weekend x

No problem and good luck with the move this time last year I was in same position as you, it was a bloody nightmare packing up 10 years of life in Spain to come here, especially with 3 kids in tow that were all on school holidays.....I don't envy you!!!

Take care  xx