Internet and Abu Dhabi

Hello everyone,

I have been considering working and living in Abu Dhabi.

I've asked around about questions regarding the cost of living and general living questions about Abu Dhabi. Thankfully the response so far has been positive, which is very encouraging.

Regarding the internet and restrictions in Abu Dhabi, is anything blocked? Facebook? Bittorrent? Youtube?

I know Skype is blocked for some reason.

Anyone know?
I'm a big computer geek so this matters to me.

Thanks!

ClickyPen wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have been considering working and living in Abu Dhabi.

I've asked around about questions regarding the cost of living and general living questions about Abu Dhabi. Thankfully the response so far has been positive, which is very encouraging.

Regarding the internet and restrictions in Abu Dhabi, is anything blocked? Facebook? Bittorrent? Youtube?

I know Skype is blocked for some reason.

Anyone know?
I'm a big computer geek so this matters to me.

Thanks!

OMG where do you start , Theres just to many that are blocked...Skype is a big one here...Best to downlaod from Home before arriving.
They block it becuase they are trying to lure you to use and pay for there System!! Well thats my theory lol..
The obvious anything Explicit. You tube is fine to a certain extent..
Bittorrent I understand you need to download from home. Facebook is fine, Bebo has problems.
Sorry thats all I know about maybe others on here can help you.
:)

Hi ClickyPen and welcome to Expat.com :)

As Silver fern said, it's best to download and install the latest version of Skype before arrival although in Dubai I had no problem with downloading Skype (but we were on Du!, apparently it's Etisalat who is blocking); for torrents, I use a software called Vuze and have no problem either in Dubai or Ras Al Khaimah to use it!
Facebook is ok also.
As for blocked websites, since 3 months I'm in UAE, I had only 3 times the warning site blocked and don't even know why cause it were normal portals, but who knows there might have been nude pics somewhere out there!
Hope this helps!
Arlette

Great info, thanx