Maintenance on homes rented

I have been told in most cases that the people renting the homes are responsible for doing the repairs and/or buying what needs to be done and not the landlord. 

For example, who pays if you have to buy a new stove?

Does anyone know what if this is correct or not?

In the States the landlord takes care of all the repairs and buys what needs to be bought.  I know.  But this is Libya.  :)

Here it is different. You pay for a new stove, fridge, furniture, etc. and you have to pay for an annual maintenance to the landlord as well, if you don't he takes you to court and you might end up in prison, and prisons in Libya are mixed. as you said earlier, this is Libya.

MoEl I'm waiting for your smart *** comments.

Well, the thing is if you decided on the terms and conditions prior to renting the house on the conditions as you mentioned then the lanlord is responsible, but if you only agreed verbally to take up the house and no contract of some sort was signed then obviously you have to take care of the house and buy everything you need. When you buy and or repair you can charge the landlord at the end of the year for the things, for example if you've bought a stove then you may either take it along when you move or ask the landlord to pay for it if he wants it in the house.

mancunian wrote:

Here it is different. You pay for a new stove, fridge, furniture, etc. and you have to pay for an annual maintenance to the landlord as well, if you don't he takes you to court and you might end up in prison, and prisons in Libya are mixed. as you said earlier, this is Libya.

It's bad enough that we have to pay for our own maintenance, but sure not going to pay a maintenance fee to the landlord.

FireFox wrote:

Well, the thing is if you decided on the terms and conditions prior to renting the house on the conditions as you mentioned then the lanlord is responsible, but if you only agreed verbally to take up the house and no contract of some sort was signed then obviously you have to take care of the house and buy everything you need. When you buy and or repair you can charge the landlord at the end of the year for the things, for example if you've bought a stove then you may either take it along when you move or ask the landlord to pay for it if he wants it in the house.

Yeah, that's more like it.  :)

Sea Angel wrote:
mancunian wrote:

It's bad enough that we have to pay for our own maintenance, but sure not going to pay a maintenance fee to the landlord.

@mancunian, If someone is to pay for the maintenance to the landlord, it needs to be decided prior as I mentioned earlier on some paperwork. Otherwise, it's not a MUST that you pay for the maintenance fee.

I think it depends on your rental agreement.  Luckily we have not had too many problems, but when the hot water tank died our landlord bought a new one.  Minor repairs, however, such as leaky tapes etc, we take care of.  Hopefully, you will get your new stove.:)

Thank you, Everyone

It's not all just rental agreements and whatnots, it also depends upon the attitude of the people towards each other and your relationship with the landlord.

We are in the same house since we moved to Libya in 2007. Our landlord lives overseas but we have had no problems whatsoever with him on anything. He calls and checks occasionally to see if everything was okay. Helps out by using his connection to get things fixed........ telephone, internet, water, any other issues.

In summer when we went on vacation, he was in Tripoli for his vacation and made it a point to visit the house on daily basis just to make sure everything was okay!!!

We couldn't have asked for better.

I have heard horror stories from others on their landlords, I think we have been blessed on that one atleast.