WARNING TO ALL EXPAT FAMILY

Dear All,

We lived in are the of Sooq Sabaah near Furnaj, our house(villa) consist of 8 bed room and 4 bath room. We hired a watchman from Niger(muslim)and only 3 people stay here. Today early in the morning 3.30 i was surprized by the strange voice in front of my room not more then 3 minutes i relized somebody tried to open our room. And i just jumped and run into the door tried to hold the door and in the second the door was opened and i can saw it there was 3 man using mask and 1 held samurai and the other one was a bit surprised to see my reaction. Thanks god we are saved now. Over All i only lost 2 laptops, so everyone please becarefull and take care of all of your family.

SAMURAI since when did Nigers carry samurai swords here? Well thank god you and everyone at your home are safe, take my advice and don't hire any watchman, trust me you'll feel alot safe without them.

FireFox wrote:

SAMURAI since when did Nigers carry samurai swords here? Well thank god you and everyone at your home are safe, take my advice and don't hire any watchman, trust me you'll feel alot safe without them.

?????????

liliana_finanda wrote:

Dear All,

We lived in are the of Sooq Sabaah near Furnaj, our house(villa) consist of 8 bed room and 4 bath room. We hired a watchman from Niger(muslim)and only 3 people stay here. Today early in the morning 3.30 i was surprized by the strange voice in front of my room not more then 3 minutes i relized somebody tried to open our room. And i just jumped and run into the door tried to hold the door and in the second the door was opened and i can saw it there was 3 man using mask and 1 held samurai and the other one was a bit surprised to see my reaction. Thanks god we are saved now. Over All i only lost 2 laptops, so everyone please becarefull and take care of all of your family.

Thank you for sharing this with us.  I am glad you and your husband are safe and we missed you this morning.

What a disheartening episode of attack...Glad that you and your family are safe!

It wasn't Niger..., it's Liby I can tell from the skin colour. And the samurai/sword 1 meters long ( I really dont know how you people called it). Now we are about to move to a small apt and hopefully wont happen to all of you.

liliana_finanda wrote:

It wasn't Niger..., it's Liby I can tell from the skin colour. And the samurai/sword 1 meters long ( I really dont know how you people called it). Now we are about to move to a small apt and hopefully wont happen to all of you.

Well, as I said earlier do take my advice and not hire a watchman. Trust me it is them most of the times stealing things from houses, where they are supposedly hired to watch out for.

liliana_finanda wrote:

the samurai/sword 1 meters long ( I really dont know how you people called it).

katANA!! Hu ha!!

---------------

I'm glad to hear you're safe, and annoyed that they're still out there.

You've probably already informed your embassy and contacted the police.

FireFox wrote:

Well, as I said earlier do take my advice and not hire a watchman. Trust me it is them most of the times stealing things from houses, where they are supposedly hired to watch out for.

Please don't let's get into a pointless argument about which nationality committed the crime. That helps no one.
The point is if you're going to hire a guard(ener) do it through your employer. Most employers have a 'fixer' / sometime employee of a police dept. The fixer gets the guards and has their passports, if there is a problem, the fixer is the one with the explaining to do. Even then, don't trust your guard with keys. And even then have the common sense to put bars across your doors and don't rely on locks.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what security you have, if someone wants in bad enough, they will get in. All you can do is try to deter the inept & opportunist.

I still donŽt get the "Niger" thing... Are we in the USA?

At least all the family is ok...

mp_garcia wrote:

I think you're confusing a slang word with a word meaning to refer to a national of the country of Niger. :)

Which should be Nigeriens as opposed to Nigerians

Libya is the more safe in another countries, and I sometimes surf the website of BBc news and CNN , to Improve my English skills , but I noticed that , there are many crimes , and the thieves when he want to steal he kills the any one he found , and also there are too many Rape of women AND children , and after the Offender rape  women he killed it , but in Libya the killing of people is lesser than another country you know , compare between crimes here and there ,  Why you do not simply say from Niger, but I added in brackets ( Muslim ) , why and why , I am too sad for this feeling .
when Muslim speaker speak about too bad crimes happened in another country which you know do not determine religion .
Our parents and grandparents always said that , each place (in the world ) there are good persons and bad persons .
I hope you and other understand me .

HE!!! from Libya.

Ahmad7 wrote:

Libya is the more safe in another countries, and I sometimes surf the website of BBc news and CNN , to Improve my English skills , but I noticed that , there are many crimes , and the thieves when he want to steal he kills the any one he found , and also there are too many Rape of women AND children , and after the Offender rape  women he killed it , but in Libya the killing of people is lesser than another country you know , compare between crimes here and there ,  Why you do not simply say from Niger, but I added in brackets ( Muslim ) , why and why , I am too sad for this feeling .
when Muslim speaker speak about too bad crimes happened in another country which you know do not determine religion .
Our parents and grandparents always said that , each place (in the world ) there are good persons and bad persons .

Understand you well. Good and bad happens all over the world. Every country has a statistic! No denying that. Moral-> We must learn from such events and never let our guards down.

liliana_finanda wrote:

Dear All,

Lilliana
I am glad you and your family are safe. As MoEl had suggested you should fully inform your embassy and insist they follow the case up. otherwise nothing will be done about it.
Thank you for sharing what must have been a terrifying ordeal, for the benefit of everone in this forum

FireFox wrote:

Ahmad7 wrote:

Libya is the more safe in another countries....blah blah blah

FireFox and Ahmad7
My 2 cents worth:

For a start the lady clearly didn't suspect or blame her watchman for the crime.  By describing the size of her house and the number of its occupants, she clearly was alluding to how difficult it was for the watchman to be alerted to the criminal's presence.
By describing the watchman as from Niger (muslim), again she is alluding to the fact that he is trustworthy.

"them" meaning sub-saharan Africans, I presume? Do you really believe that, or are you just thick?
Most of “them” are hard working men and women who have risked everything –including their dignity- in search of a better life. To be dismissed just like that by idiots like you is indeed a most despicable and unjust act against a human being, this kind of attitude doesn't belong in the 21st century but firmly in the annals of history.

Why do you find it difficult to believe that there are Libyans who are capable of and do commit heinous and cowardly crimes. Like Genie said earlier, this shit happens in every society.

Don't have nightmares, do sleep well

Sorry to hear of your frightening incident.

Mudman wrote:
FireFox wrote:

Please don't let's get into a pointless argument about which nationality committed the crime. That helps no one.
The point is if you're going to hire a guard(ener) do it through your employer. Most employers have a 'fixer' / sometime employee of a police dept. The fixer gets the guards and has their passports, if there is a problem, the fixer is the one with the explaining to do. Even then, don't trust your guard with keys. And even then have the common sense to put bars across your doors and don't rely on locks.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what security you have, if someone wants in bad enough, they will get in. All you can do is try to deter the inept & opportunist.

great advice, agree 100%. let the company managements arrange things. and don't accept, niers, chads, sudans, morroccans as key personnel in tripoli so the company saves some. as questionable residence, they will be more afraid than you from anyone.

and the sword is called a ''katana''. i have a couple at home and no, it wasn't me:)

FWIW, my guard is from Niger and he & his brother who used to work for me are trustworthy but I still don't give them keys.
But they blamed all crimes on the people from Ghana.... :rolleyes:

So each ethnic group has their own scapegoat/boogieman!

Same thing happen to us a few months ago, second night in a new house, they must've thought nobody was sleeping there yet. They got in through back door and walked around the house with a flashlight, I was half asleep but woke up seeing a guy flashing the light straight at our bad from the bedroom entrance. It was dark and I got the flashlight in my eyes so I did not see his face, neither how many of them there were. After they realized we woke up they run away, we just lost a camera and some money I had in my purse.
And luckily our baby was still sleeping in our bedroom with us, and not next door...
Anyways, we didn't lose much and we're all safe, but it scared a hell out of us. We installed tiny, loud-beeping alarms at all doors and we got a dog. Hope it won't happen, ever again.
Libya is quite safe country, but as expats we are exposed, so we need to be extra careful - those guys see white face and think we're God knows how rich...
Stay safe everyone!
vilanelle

Mudman wrote:
mp_garcia wrote:

I think you're confusing a slang word with a word meaning to refer to a national of the country of Niger. :)

Which should be Nigeriens as opposed to Nigerians

Thanks Mudman!!! Anyway, the word is still beeing used as a skin color definition... That's what annoys me...

Let's hope this never happens again to anyone...

I think crime is on the rise and will continue to do so. In August our Contractors office was robbed and the security guard shot. This happened in Sirte

liliana_finanda wrote:

Dear All,

Hi liliana_finanda. Sorry to hear about the incident. I have been living in Tripoli for 4 years and always preferred a house which has been divided into 2 or 3 apartments in Benashour/ Norflein/ Zawait Dahmani area. That way, you always have one or two families living above/below you. I feel quite safe here but we are always careful about locking up at night.
I feel that big independent villas are usually a target and have heard of quite a few incidents of break-ins and 'cars taken at gun-point' at night, but this is usually in the Saraj/ Janzoor area. Also follow the advice given by many about not ever giving your house keys to your guard or any other domestic help. They might not be involved but why take chances!! Good luck & be safe!!

ExpatLibyan wrote:
liliana_finanda wrote:

Dear All,

Lilliana
I am glad you and your family are safe. As MoEl had suggested you should fully inform your embassy and insist they follow the case up. otherwise nothing will be done about it.
Thank you for sharing what must have been a terrifying ordeal, for the benefit of everone in this forum

FireFox wrote:

Ahmad7 wrote:

Libya is the more safe in another countries....blah blah blah

FireFox and Ahmad7
My 2 cents worth:

For a start the lady clearly didn't suspect or blame her watchman for the crime.  By describing the size of her house and the number of its occupants, she clearly was alluding to how difficult it was for the watchman to be alerted to the criminal's presence.
By describing the watchman as from Niger (muslim), again she is alluding to the fact that he is trustworthy.

"them" meaning sub-saharan Africans, I presume? Do you really believe that, or are you just thick?
Most of “them” are hard working men and women who have risked everything –including their dignity- in search of a better life. To be dismissed just like that by idiots like you is indeed a most despicable and unjust act against a human being, this kind of attitude doesn't belong in the 21st century but firmly in the annals of history.

Why do you find it difficult to believe that there are Libyans who are capable of and do commit heinous and cowardly crimes. Like Genie said earlier, this shit happens in every society.

(Irish Accent)Ahh fella, what should I tell yaa? You certainly need to take a shower you know!!! Try and cool yourself down.

Sorry if u missed understand about these, as I can tell u our Family 100% Muslim (we're coming from Indonesia) and our watchman it's been more than 6 years working for our Indonesian people so it's mean I trusted him a lot beside he's really a good Muslim. why I mentioned the skin color because all people around me like my driver people from the office blaming such a people from Nigeria and else, in fact I saw with my 2 own eyes the thief was Libby. Why I said its Libby because 1 of them who is tried to open my door not wearing a mask (he rolled up on his head) and I'm really sure about that since I have a lots of Libyan friends. When I've tried hold the door and they still pushed the door from the outside(still tried to get rid of me) then I screaming at loud  "Allahu Akbar" the thief  stop pushing my door and moved to another room which my Indonesia friend sleep there and my husband said call the police(we're not even know the police Number)and I said "ok" pretend that we have the police number.  Then I called my Libyan Friend and my driver and start screaming over the window for help and as I remembered there was several number of workers who live in small factory behind our house. Lucky me all of them wake up and come into our house.  And when I screaming for help my watchmen hear me and running into our house and tried to catch the thieve  but he can't not  make it since one of the thief use "KataNa" and my watchmen get injured in his right hand.  So everyone don't miss interpret my story "Muslim" are OK and Color means Nothing it's just my bad luck we called "MusiBah".  Thanks and take care.

Ahmad7 wrote:

Wow liliana_finanda - what an ordeal.    Thank goodness everyone is safe!

The worst problem with such burglaries is not really that you loose something material. The worst thing is what is going in your head. Your piece of mind is gone as well as sense of security. Every little sound during the night is disturbing and wakes you up (if you manage to fall asleep). I had to check and recheck every door and every window, even though we have metal bars everywhere. We knew that guys that went in knew the house, so we couldn't escape this feeling that everyone is suspected.
It took us more than a month to come back to full normality, to get rid of fear and now it's just a lesson that thaught us few important things.

you're absolutely right..., it even harder for me to fall asleep now. I always ask people to check again and again all the doors and windows. I feel really wanna cry every time I entered my room. I hope the new place will bring such a more secure feelings.

wysoki wrote:

The worst problem with such burglaries is not really that you loose something material. The worst thing is what is going in your head. Your piece of mind is gone as well as sense of security. Every little sound during the night is disturbing and wakes you up (if you manage to fall asleep). I had to check and recheck every door and every window, even though we have metal bars everywhere. We knew that guys that went in knew the house, so we couldn't escape this feeling that everyone is suspected.
It took us more than a month to come back to full normality, to get rid of fear and now it's just a lesson that thaught us few important things.

Throw FireFox/Astonished or whoever TF he's calling himself in the ring with a "Niger" and let's see who comes off best...

Sandman6 wrote:

Throw FireFox/Astonished or whoever TF he's calling himself in the ring with a "Niger" and let's see who comes off best...

Ohh dear, for F sake I meant Nigers as in the people coming from the country Niger. You can take it to whatever extent you want, but you're not changing my views on the watchman.

How awful for you and your family, I am just glad that no one was seriously injured.  Take care and hopefully the new place will be better for you.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why it has to happen to the most wonderful people...who would ever want to hurt someone like the OP? On the other hand, this would never happen to an A hole like myself, Sandman or FireFox.

Shows you how unfair life is.

FireFox wrote:
Sandman6 wrote:

...you're not changing my views on the watchman.

Sandman, it sounds like he's been in that kind of ring already?

MoEl wrote:
FireFox wrote:
Sandman6 wrote:

...you're not changing my views on the watchman.

Sandman, it sounds like he's been in that kind of ring already?

Moel, I presume you missed the lines behind the ...

I am sorry , I misunderstood you , may Allah (God) make it good for us .

liliana_finanda wrote:

Sorry if u missed understand about these, as I can tell u our Family 100% Muslim (we're coming from Indonesia) and our watchman it's been more than 6 years working for our Indonesian people so it's mean I trusted him a lot beside he's really a good Muslim. why I mentioned the skin color because all people around me like my driver people from the office blaming such a people from Nigeria and else, in fact I saw with my 2 own eyes the thief was Libby. Why I said its Libby because 1 of them who is tried to open my door not wearing a mask (he rolled up on his head) and I'm really sure about that since I have a lots of Libyan friends. When I've tried hold the door and they still pushed the door from the outside(still tried to get rid of me) then I screaming at loud  "Allahu Akbar" the thief  stop pushing my door and moved to another room which my Indonesia friend sleep there and my husband said call the police(we're not even know the police Number)and I said "ok" pretend that we have the police number.  Then I called my Libyan Friend and my driver and start screaming over the window for help and as I remembered there was several number of workers who live in small factory behind our house. Lucky me all of them wake up and come into our house.  And when I screaming for help my watchmen hear me and running into our house and tried to catch the thieve  but he can't not  make it since one of the thief use "KataNa" and my watchmen get injured in his right hand.  So everyone don't miss interpret my story "Muslim" are OK and Color means Nothing it's just my bad luck we called "MusiBah".  Thanks and take care.

Ahmad7 wrote:

Report it to the Police, Embassy and Employer. You may be surprised what they know and what they are prepared to do.  In my circumstances it was two bothers.  Only one was responsible and it was stealing not threats. The family was as angry with the criminal as I was and the brother felt responsible for my safety. I felt sorry for his wife and kids but there you go.

When you move into your new place change the locks through your company PRO or security guy. My landlord has a key to the villa/flats here and he has been entering when some people are here and when not here.

FireFox wrote:
ExpatLibyan wrote:

FireFox and Ahmad7
My 2 cents worth:

(Irish Accent)Ahh fella, what should I tell yaa? You certainly need to take a shower you know!!! Try and cool yourself down.

hmmmm you didn't really address the points I raised... :cool:

ExpatLibyan wrote:

Does he ever answer the question?

ExpatLibyan wrote:
FireFox wrote:
ExpatLibyan wrote:

FireFox and Ahmad7
My 2 cents worth:

(Irish Accent) I'll try if you go and cool yourself down a bit!

liliana_finanda said : you're absolutely right..., it even harder for me to fall asleep now. I always ask people to check again and again all the doors and windows. I feel really wanna cry every time I entered my room. I hope the new place will bring such a more secure feelings.
so far she d'nt write clearly , because she  is psychologically tired and can not focus on what she write .
may allah help her and her family.

Oh God, thats really Horrible, but it happening here sometimes specially in the last 3 yrs.
anyway Al Hamdu le Allah 3lla Salamtek liliana_finanda