Moving to Melbourne with wife and children, from Singapore

Hi dliew888,

Thank you for the valuable advice.
I have decided not to migrate to Australia as of now.
My VISA expires 3 years later.

If I am not able to renew it, I will just have to give up my PR.
Frankly, I did my research and have calculated many Pros and Cons. Supurisingly, there are a lot of Cons (setbacks) if I will to move over. I guess it is not worth it. I have calculated all the risks. My son just turned 1 year old last week.

Singapore is a beautiful country. It is safe and there are a lot of job opportunities for me here.

Nonetheless, I will continue to wait and see my family personal development in the next few years, then decide our next move.

Joshua

Hi Joahua

Good decision in fact Singapore is the richest country in the world based on income per capital.
I don't see any reasons for Singaporean to move here to start from ground zero. For Malaysian is a different story. Sometimes I am also wondering whether is it worth it giving up career and wonderful multicultural country in exchange for child education However if you are loaded Australia is a good place to retire. Here is a lot slower and uncompetitive .

All the best.

Denny

Hi Denny,

I totally understand. I was a student for 2.5 years in The University of Queensland. To me personally, Australia is a good place mainly for:

- Studying
- Retiring

I am still young, in my mid 30s. There are so much potential for me to develop in Singapore, taking into consideration my wife holding a full-time job as Research Officer in Science, and my son is only 1 year old.

If everything goes well, I should have a 2nd property in the following year. One of it is for investment (renting income), whereas the other is for living. The property in Singapore is really expensive. However, my wife and I are on track to save up for our 2nd property. My current home is 3-5 minutes walk to the coming 4 storeys high, with 2 storeys basement, shopping mall, which has a cineplex. The mall will be completed by the end of next year. We are excited for the coming shopping mall.

As for Australia PR, I will try to find an Australian job in Singapore, and use it to renew for the Australia PR. If this is not possible, I will just have to give up. To me, it is relatively too early for me to migrate to Australia now.

p/s: I have done much study and research before making the decision whether to migrate to Australia.

Joshua

Hi dliew888,

Congrats for getting a job within a month after migrating over there.

Migrating is all about making a bold move with risks and uncertainties to follow.

The perception from you and many are alike. Yes. Singapore is the richest country on income per capita (for now) but that doesn't mean the citizens are rich.

Majority of the people's salary doesn't even match up to the inflation rate.
There are many Singaporeans who have migrated and are happy.

What you have done to sacrifice for your child's education and upbringing will bear fruit. Infact you are doing for your generations.

Not all will share the same sentiments as being a Singaporean.

Joshuatan situation could be different. Both of them working. Will be having a 2nd property as a passive income for them to sustain. They will be able to afford good eductation for their kids..

I guess Joshuatan  must have done his homework well and has considered and discussed with his wife about the migration. This is really good. No point migrating for the sake of migrating.

But how many average Singaporeans can do that like what Joshuatan is doing? Having 2nd property and all.. :)

As for myself, I am in the middle of the PR application processing right now, looking forward to Melbourne (hopefully if all goes well).

My sitation is somewhat different. :)
I am young I think (mid-30s)..a minority.. married with 2 kids.. Single income earner.. working in an Industry where Foreign Talents can work half of Singaporeans' pay..

Hi dliew,
After being there, do you have any regrets, giving up 'pampered' living in Malaysia and starting from scratch?
My friend in Brisbane is very contented even though she had to give up her professional career and settled for something less 'high flying' job. I like to think that people who migrated to another country, away from their family & friends, tend to be more humbled and grounded and independent. I like to bring up my son this way.

Another thing, if you or any one else would know. I heard that Uniiversities in Oz do have their 'unofficial' lower quota for PR entry, particularly those who did their pre-u or matriculation overseas. They would have higher quota for international full fee paying students. Is this true?
That's also reason for me to think to get my son to start high school there in Oz. 

Thanks

singlemom:
-cost of living is not high relative to wages
-income tax is also not high if you apply tax deductables
Most malaysians I know are able to find some kind of job (any job will do to start off). They eventually do pretty well.

Anfieldknight:
Good post. useful and pertinent points.
Good luck in your application.

For more info, Have you seen this FB group SG Kongsi Australia? facebook.com/groups/264798606954939/

Hi Aljuniedroad..

I guess you live in Aljunied Road?

Yes.. I have seen that FB group..

Thanks for your wishes.. it will take a while though.. :)

Hi Singlemom
Sorry for late reply. Is too early to think of regret but of course there are things I  greatly missed back home. I know this is one way mission and no turning back at all costs that's why we are well prepared financially. However it turns out better than expected.
My kids are very happy with the new life here I suppose as parents we want the best for our kids. Regarding the quota I have no idea still learning the ways of life here.

Hi Denny,

Missing home is normal. Certainly, you will get over it if you persevere on.

Hi Singlemom,

My advice to you: "Be as prepared as you possibly can financially, before you go Australia." Go to the website to do research for yourself to find out more about life in Australia.

Hi all,

Melbourne is indeed a great place to live in. Australia is beautiful country. However, I am not prepared to migrate there yet, as I have great plan ahead, as explained above. My wife, a graduate from Perth, and I love Australia. Instead, we hope to migrate to Australia says 10 years later preferably. I have around 3 years left before our (my wife and I) VISAs expire. Thus, I will try my very best to renew the VISA. One of the ways really is to find an Australia job and use the status to renew my VISA.

Wishing all of you all the best for your new lives in or soon to be in Australia.

Joshua

Hi dliew888,

May I ask what is ur area of profession? Yes we have heard that it is difficult to get a job without local experience . Recently, have found contact with a supplier who might be able to help us secure a job. Fingers- crossed. Despite the cons,we think the liberal education would do good for our children. Gonna try live here and see how it goes from here. What is life without risks...

Hi everyone,

Greetings frm KL. Currently I'm residing in KL, having a permanent job in big local company and single.
The thing is I'm getting married soon (I think, this is bcs I'm contemplating btw migrating to OZ or no still). My soon-to-be hubby is a PR in OZ and have been living in Melbourne for 10 years now.

My question, is it worth it to move there, leave my current job and family in KL?Thinking about it makes me scared sometimes.

And also, I have plan to do Masters degree if I were to move there.How is it like?

Hi Everybody,

I'm from Singapore and currently waiting for my visa (486 Regional State Sponsor) to Western Australia.. Actually intending to move to Melbourne but State sponsorship is much faster now with the new priority scheme..

Reading thru all your experience here, make me more prepare for a new challenge in a new country..

It's been 8 months since I first posted here.

Just wanted to share my experience of moving to Melbourne.

I made the move to Melbourne in late March, stayed for 3 months, applied for over 30 job positions, had only 1 interview for an entry level IT position but did not get any job offers.

Faced with a dwindling bank account, I decided to fly to Perth with the funds I had left, where I knew friends from my University days who had some casual work opportunities for me.

Luckily enough, after a couple months in Perth, I got contacted by a recruitment agency offering me contract work with an MNC in Melbourne, had a phone interview, and soon enough I found myself making arrangements to return back to Melbourne - funny how things come full circle sometimes.

All in I was out of work for about 5 months before something finally came my way - I consider myself lucky, as I've read many stories on forums of people worse off than me (e.g. jobless for more than a year).

So definitely, emigration is not something to be taken lightly - Just my 2 cents worth of advice (it's all common sense anyways...):

1.Always plan for the worst and definitely put aside enough money to last you for however much time you anticipate being out of work for. Do your research to get an idea of how much money you need to spend for food, travel, rental, utilities

2. Network extensively - you never known what opportunities can come your way. I had friends in Australia on whom I could call on for help when the going got tough (part time work opportunities)

3. Never give up - if you're already in Oz, and when the going gets tough, always remember that doing something about your situation is better than allowing yourself to give up and just curl up into a ball in bed (as I felt like doing several times  when the going got tough)

Additional advice: I was told that I went to Australia at a bad time - Up towards the end of the financial year (middle of the year), companies appear to put a halt on, or limit the number of people they are hiring.

Disclaimer: I am a single male, in my early 30s; used to study in Australia and know a number of friends in Australia whom I kept in contact with over the years.

Hi Josh24601,

Thanks for shaing your experience. I would say you are lucky to be able to secure a permanent job within a period less than one year. I have some friends who have very good career back home and decided to move to OZ. Some spent almost two years to get a permanent job and the income they earned in OZ is less than what they earned back home country. But, they say that they dont regret with their decision and their kids enjoy the life there.

I trust you are also in the same view that you made the right decision.

Hi Joshua,

I am in similar situation as you. My visa will be expired in 2 years time. I really wish that I can migrate in next 7 or 8 year time. By then, i should be in a good financial position to move and i would not worry much about being out of job for a period of time. I also try to explore options to get my visa extended for another 5 years. But, unfortunately, laws about return resident visa have changed since early 2012. The new law is a lot stricter than before. Now the only condition to get return resident visa for another 5 years is to have our feet stay in OZ for a period of at least 2 out of 5 years. No other excuse will be accepted. It is possible to get one year return resident visia if we can prove we have economic or personal benefit tie to Australia. But, it is also difficult to prove this unless we have kids or spouse stay in OZ.

So your plan to find work for an OZ company in Singapore may not work unless the company is willing to transfer you to work in OZ for at least 2 years. I am not sure if you have seen the rules. However, i am interested to know if you can share your thought or if you are aware of anyone case that has been sucessful to get the 5 years RRV. I am also working hard to explore the options.

Cheers

Tong

Hi Josh24601,

Based on your email, I am not sure if yours is a permanent job. To my understanding in Singapore's contact, contract job only lasts for a period of time. Nonetheless, I am really glad that you have found a job. I have heard of a person who tried unsuccessfully to find a job as a civil engineer for more than a year. He and his wife had even bought a home in Melbourne. In the end, they have to return home and thankfully he managed to secure a full time job at home.

Your advice given really benefit to all the readers. I agreed with you. Thank you.

Hi Tong,

Yes, I am aware of the changes, but do not know it is implemented this year. I am left with no choice but may need to give up my Australia PR, which expires in mid of Year 2015, if I find no solution to renew for another year.

After I have spoken to friends and hearing their advice. My decision is to stay at home. It is better off for me than taking the risk to move to Australia. My son is only 1 year old. If it is difficult to find an engineerng job in Australia, it is even more difficult for my wife to find a job in Science (Research field). As I calculate, the risk and monetary loss are far greater than I expect, if I choose to move over to Australia first to look for a job.

Singapore, for the past 5-10 years, has been developing very well, and has always been developing and improving. I am kind of getting attracted to here. Beside, the job market here is far better than many countries. Singapore is indeed afterall a great place to live in, mainly, to me, in term of job security. There is Marina Bay Sands, Universal Studio and Garden by the Bays in Singapore; the newly open Legoland (still expanding and developing)and Johor Premium Outlets in Malaysia, which is not too far from Singapore. My family have a great time in Legoland last weekend. Moreover, my family and friends are here. This is the place that I have grown up.

Due to the geographical location in Singapore, it is easy and convenient for me to go to many countries for holiday, especially to Australia. In addition, as I mentioned before, I am presently saving up to buy another property in Singapore, for retirement, the following year.

To all the readers out there,

Just like to add on what Josh24601 has mentioned, it is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT for you to do your homework and research, before even making the big move to migrate to Australia. It is a very big decision, especially if you have a FAMILY.

Australia is truly a beautiful country to live in and is a great place for education and retirement.

Wishing you guys all the best.

Joshua

Hi Joshua,

It is good that you have made up a clear decision. Frankly, i used to tell one of my Singaporean friends that If I am a Singaporean having good family and job in Singapore, i would not consider moving to other countries. Overall, Singapore is a good place to live and work. Of course, every country has a draw back. Some say education in Singapore is stressful for children and Singapore is too crowed, car is too expensive etc. Yes, i agree that Australia is better for these areas. But, there are many good things about Singapore e.g. cost of living is a lot cheaper, safer, lower tax, easier to access to other countries in the region, familiar culture, more friends etc. I used to live and work in Singapore about 3 years and i love the country.

My country is different from Singapore. Fundamental infrastructures such as medication and education are not yet up to the international standard. It is good for working age, but it is not good for kids and retirement. This is the reason i am seriously considered moving to another country for a better life for my whole family. I am thinking that i move to Australia just before my visa is expired and stay in Australia until I get the Australian citizenship. By then, i suppose i should be able to settle down and have a permanent job. Otherwise, i still can come back to my home country and restart my career again. I know the career development is not good to move back and forth.

Cheers,

Hi Tong,

You are absolutely right. I agree with you on the comparison with Singapore and Australia.

Examples:

SINGAPORE - car is expensive, but maintenance is ok; eating out is cheap; TAX IS LOW; stressful environment; English and Chinese language in school are compulsory; cheap to hire a handyman; property price is high; crime rate is low and a very safe country to live in and more...

AUSTRALIA - car is cheap, but maintenance is expensive; food is expensive; TAX IS HIGH; relax environment; not much opportunity in school to learn Chinese; expensive to hire a handyman; property price is low and more...

I have actually weight the pros and cons, before making the decision/conclusion.

By the way, I am rather surprised to see a Vietnamese like you writing good English.

I guess presently that is the ONLY way for you to renew your Australia PR by staying there permanently for 2 out of the 5 years.

I sincerely wish you all the best in your future, as you endeavor to make the big move to Australia, and eventually become an Australia citizen.

Cheers and Take care.

Joshua

Hi,
I have read about difficult to get a PR or to get employed in aust or any country if u have a past conviction... is that true? I'm from Singapore and had a prison record due to possession of drugs about 9years ago..... .
My intention is to work and live in aust like Melbourne or Perth.

Blackgirl,

You can perhaps check with the Immigration Agencies in Singapore.. they may give you some advice.

Hi Anfieldknight,

Thanks for e advice.

Hi,

I'm trying to move to Melbourne by next year so would appreciate some advise on the best way to start. Is is better to hire a migration agent?

Thanks!

Best you check out whether you qualify for a visa and if you can work here. Try the australian govt immigration website as it gives all the information you require.

Immigration agents can be expensive so check first and if you do qualify then maybe get an agent to assist you. Also ask the agent what his fees will be, shop around for one.

Hi all,
I used to study in melbourne and i really really love there. currently im back in singapore and would love to move over to melbourne, however i do not know where should i start. any advice?

yans01 wrote:

Hi all,
I used to study in melbourne and i really really love there. currently im back in singapore and would love to move over to melbourne, however i do not know where should i start. any advice?

Hi yans01...

Before making any decision, check out www.immi.gov.au and check whether you are qualified to apply for a PR Visa.

Things like Skill Select, what occupation are you in, how many years of experience,IELTS, qualification, age...

Check how many points you can score. Currently you need 60 points to go ahead to submit an EOI.

You can approach some agents where they give free consultation to see whether you qualify to apply or not. You can do that.

If you qualify, you can either apply yourself or go through an agent.

Take a look at this: http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2013/0 … illselect/

I am coming down to Melbourne this June. Making my first initial trip to activate my VISA.

I agree with most comments here. Come by yourself to Australia, live a modest lifestyle as you look for a job.

For those looking for good schools, look at the schools ratings on myschool.edu.au. My child went to the best school in the neighbourhood we could afford. However the education system didn't suit him. We ended up taking him back to my home country where he is excelling so well. Be careful to choose a school that fits your children's needs.

Also with some of the schools, you may be required to live within a certain radius of the school for the child to be considered for enrolment.

There are also waiting lists. So it will be best to put your children on the waiting list as you look for a job.

Hi AnfieldK,
Have you made your trip to Melbourne already?

Hi Aljunied

I only came there in June with my family to activate my PR.

Stayed for 1 week.

Melbourne is beautiful. People are friendly.

I have yet to move there but I have target early next year to move there to find job, ouse and school before bringing family over.

Hi ALL
I have been following the discussion with interest.
My family first moved to Melbourne exactly 10 yrs ago. Initially, only my wife and 2 young kids (5 and 10yo). My wife quit teaching in Singapore (guess we all know all the reasons by now). As for me, I flew in and out every 3 months, each time about 10-14 days.

I did not want to give up my Civil service job - probably uncertain and a little scared that time. Finally, I join my family in Melbourn full time in 2008, quitting the Civil Service job which I had for 17 consecutive yrs. Not easy decision, but decided to give a go. I got a job before I quit (very important!!)

I earned almost the same pay (after exchange rate), but as someone mentioned, cost of living high (and tax very high). Every dollar I earn, about 34 cents taxed.

My views after 10 yrs:
1) My wife always said this : we should have come earlier. We came when we were 37 yrs old - but I think it was a right age, for you need some income, and work experience

2) My girls enjoy school thoroughly. They are not book worms, the curriculum here is broad based - maybe because they are in private college. They speak very well.

3) While cost of living is high, but let's be realistic. As long as you eat in, buy back and cook - it is cheap, fresh and good. Occasional restaurants should be fine.

4) Talk about cost - I already saved tons on the house and car. I have 2 properties in Melbourne (total value about $850,000). I don't think I will ever be able to buy such sized properties in Singapore, that's a fact. My car? I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry - it was $20,000 when I bought in 2010. Same car in singapore - not too sure, bur certainly I can't afford. We have a second Hyundai car - cost us $10k - you can't even buy COE!

5) Most important - Australia is a good place to bring up your kids. Very good personal-family-work balance. So for those of you who have young kids, the earlier they come the better. You don't need to earn tons of money before you come (it would be too late). Give yourself a chance, afterall you are given the PR.

Melbourne is a multi-national society, you will like it. If you speak to 10 singaporeans here, maybe the most 2 or 3 would want to go back. For your children's sake, come.

I may want to consider taking up citizenship, but PR is good enough.

Hi Enjoy Life,

Thank you. You gave a moral boast!

I'm making my move as well.. Not easy but will be done..

Thank you once again!

Hi,

I am so glad to hear many happy people in this forum after migrating. I am very worry as I plan to move sometime end of next year to Melbourne after my eldest daughter's A-Levels in Malaysia. I will be bringing my 3 children (now 18, 14 & 12yo)to continue education in Australia.

I will be leaving my job and let my hubby do the earning and travelling in and out of Kuala Lumpur & Melbourne. If I can find a job then it will be a bonus at the age of 48 by then...Anyway, I am a SAP Consultant.

I am looking for a good school for my boys (year 9 & year 11 in 2015). I am looking at Glen Waverley and is that a good place to stay? I have not been there myself and wish to prepare a bit. Any advice?

Thanks and regards,
acly

Hi Acly
As I said previously, the earlier your children come, the better. I believe your children would have a better head start for Maths and Science, I think these subjects SEA countries better, but I cannot say for English and other subjects.

When I move here, I deliberately not stay in the Eastern suburbs, reasons? - cheaper land and homes in the Western region. In  the last couple of yrs, prices have risen in the West. Glen Wav, Boxhill, Clayton, all in the east are very expensive, as the areas are already developed.

In recent yrs, the place i stay more singaporeans, malaysians,filipnos. You can still buy cheaper land here, and big. I expect more developments the next decade. New shopping centres and industries coming over here.

Don't worry about age, what's important is that if you have decided, put on the first step. I will be 48 end of this yr, and have been here with no regrets.

cheers

Thanks so much, Enjoy Life. This is so encouraging. Can I know which suburb to look out for in the Property Web in the West as you mentioned? I am truly alien to this. I only been to the tourist attractions in Melbourne. I wish to stay in an affordable place with many Malaysians & Singaporeans.

Regards,

Interesting feedback Enjoy Life..

May I know which surburb are you living right now?

How did you manage to get a job before going to Melbourne?

Hi all, yes which surburd to look out for..? Needed some help as well.. Been searching..
Some advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi ALL
I lived in Melton.Used to be a laid-back, country place, transformed dramatically. Train runs into city; express about 30mins.

It is a growing suburb, together with Werribee, Tarneit, Point Cook, Williams Landing - all western suburbs. Just google it to find these places. Good news -  a new rail line would be ready from Tarniet to City in 2015, about 20mins. Point Cook is popular with S'poreans and M'sians.

I don't advise new immigrants to jump into property. When I first came, I rented a place. Rental is very common here. Rent first, scout around, there are plenty of land, don't over commit, do your finances. Generally and comparatively to Singapore, of course the prices are lower. Not sure about Malaysia. One of my Malaysian friends got his Australian property via an agent back in KL. But take your time. don't jump in it.

For the places mentioned, you can buy just the land itself, then get a builder; or your can buy a "home and land" package. For a 400 sq meter land +  building (single storey), base price about A$350,000. Smaller land maybe around $300,000. The land is freehold.

Again same old advise. Check out and do your sums.

Cheers

Thanks so much for sharing.

planning to go to point cook in 2015. searching for schools for 3 children is not easy as we are not catholics.

Hi Singapore Girl

I live in Point Cook since March 2012 and the place is still affordable. But house price is Melbourne is rising but I agree with enjoy life no need to rush. You still have plenty of choices in the western suburb as there is ample supply of land.

Beware of real estate agents and do not take their words and do your homework before you committ to buy. I have bad experience is this. You can also visit my blog dedicate to help fellow migrants. http://aussiemigrationtips.blogspot.com.au/.

I have two boys and for primary school you will find no problem for schools in Point Cook but for secondary schools unfortunately there are not a lot choice here. I am still trying to get my 13 year old boy in Emmanuelle college in Point Cook still on waiting list.