Cost of Living in Malaysia - 3000 RM + free accommodation. ok deal?

Hai Friends

I have got an offer in a Food industry in Penang. They have offered 3000 RM per month +free Accommodation(Single room). Is it wise to come from India and work there? what could be the money i can save. I am a moderate money spender and dont drink. Please help out

Its very hard to advise on whether you would be able to save money because this depends on your lifestyle.  What I can tell you is that 3000RM is the average salary in Malaysia.  Food is relatively cheap here as is transport assuming you are happy relying on 2 wheelers or public transport. With no other significant monthly expenses, you can probably save about 1500-2000 per month. Moving to Malaysia might help with giving you exposure to a different country. By all means do consider it if you feel you will be gaining from this experience.

Hai friend,

Many thanks for your valuable information. Obviously the company am joining will give me a new exposure. Also let me know after a couple of years Job shifting is possible in Malaysia?

You can possibly shift if you can find another job, but your immigration is not transferable and that employer would have to apply for another Foreign Worker Pass.

I am not sure but your EP (employment pass) will likely be tied to the hiring company so shifting around might not be possible. Unless of course you decide to stay here by virtue of marriage or find another employer who is willing to sponsor you etc.

Myfundas - at that salary it wont be an EP - foreign workers are not permitted to marry Malaysians whilst on the FWP. They also cannot have any dependents living with them in Malaysia.

Good point Gravitas. Noted.