I have dual citizenship. Job related questions.

Hello!!

I'm planning on moving back to Brazil to (cabo frio) once I graduate a year and a half from now. I've lived in Itaperuna (its about 5 hours from Macae I think) I already am a licensed cosmetologist (hairdresser) and am going to school for communications and media.. I have dual citizenship because my mom is Brazilian and can speak and write fluently in Portuguese. Are there any certifications or courses you suggest I take before I come that may aid in me getting a job? I've noticed most of the jobs at Petrobras in Macae are for engineers, nothing really for marketing or communications.  Also, since I am also a Brazilian citizenship because of my mother will that make it easier for me?

Hi kayalessio and welcome to expat-blog! :)

I created a new discussion on the Rio de Janeiro forum from your post.

You will be more at ease to elaborate on your questions here.

Best of luck,
Bhavna :)

Maybe the only advantage you have with the double citizenship is that you can work for the government which is forbidden for the non-citizens . For the rest you have to start from scratches . If you have a bachelor's degree and you want to use it here then prepare yourself for a nightmare , It`s easier to go back to university here . Another advantage I see for your double citizenship is that you won`t have the two years restriction wen living Brazil .

Hello kayalessio,

While your Brazilian citizenship is going to be a great advantage to you, in that it opens up all public service jobs (through the consucrso público), you're going to find it difficult to. get a decent job here unless you've got some kind of university degree.

As far as hairdressers go here in Brazil, you find one on every street corner, maybe two. It's an extremely low paid profession here unless you're lucky enough to find a job at one of the top rated salons in São Paulo, Rio, Belo Horizonte or Brasília. Even if you have the ability and finances to open your own salon, you're going to struggle to make a decent living in that profession. I'm speaking from personal experience as my ex-wife (Brazilian) has had salons in São Paulo, Salvador, Rio and Belo Horizonte and she is extremely talented. Nevertheless she has always had to work extremely long hours and earned very little income once the overhead is deducted.

If you don't have a university degree then I would suggest that you consider a university program here in Brazil, or some kind of technical course. Just stay away from hairdressing, the competition is just too great and the benefits are zero.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team