Comfortable life with 33.000 DKK before tax?

Hi all,

I am planning to move to Aarhus for a new job. Job content is creative development, testing, support of software development and customer support.
The offer I have is 33.000 DKK gross to start with. If my calculations are correct, I'll have about 21.000 DKK disposable net (after deduction of pers. allowance).

I am a 28-year-old Belgian and hold an MSc in Product Development (industrial design). I have 4 years of professional experience in product design.

I will only have to support myself in Aarhus.
I'm signing up for an apartment lease for 7250 DKK (excl. utilities). Commuting distance to work is less than 2 km.

Will I be able to have a comfortable, quality life with some potential for saving?

P.S. Beside salary, I am mostly in it for the experience. And the company produces software that I love! :-)

Dries

Hello DriesV and welcome to the forum :)

While waiting for members to help out, please check out threads in our Cost of living in Denmark to gather some useful infos.

Wish you luck in your expatriation project.

Regards
Kenjee

Hi!

I'm an American who has been living in Denmark for 14 years, and i work as a systems assistant at a large company her in Århus. My base pay is 31,000 Kr. p/m and I take home around 20,000 a month after taxes. 33,000 base pay shouldn't be a problem, as long as you budget and live responsibly, and I think you would be rather comfortable. Go online and check how much it costs to get an apartment; that's the biggest cost every month. I figure it will be between 6~10 thousand a month, food will be between 1500~2500, and transportation depends on you. Living in the city I would recommend a bike or the bus system. Look for reasonable housing, that's the key, avoid debt and just budget...I really see no problem with making it on that much every month. Will it be wines and roses all the time? No, but neither will it be bread and water. I think you'll be fine, just look at the cost of housing and plan accordingly.

Hi Durbdk,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, good budgeting is key. :-)
My (rather small) apartment (Aarhus V) is a bit over 7k Kr. Small, but really nice, cosy and -most importantly- at a ridiculously short distance from the office. Also great connections to Aarhus C.
I'm used to not owning a car and doing pretty much everything with a bicycle in Belgium. So that should be covered. Seems like Aarhus and DK in general are incredibly bicycle friendly...
I'm moving in early August. Getting excited!

Thanks again!

Dries