Living cost in Mauritius

Hi, We group of 4 people got offer to work in Mauritius, The pay for us is 40,000 MUR. The company doesn't give free accommodation or anything else. Is that sufficient for us. Can we save any money on that salary.

Hello,

The pay you are mentioning is largely sufficient per person.

This is considerably higher than the average salary in Mauritius.

Hi Hafeez,

Thanks for your reply.
We also wanted to know that how much can we save in this salary?

Hi, We group of 4 people got offer to work in Mauritius, The pay for us is 40,000 MUR. The company doesn't give free accommodation or anything else. Is that sufficient for us. Can we save any money on that salary.

FYI: Our workplace will be Quatre Bones

hussain_hida wrote:

FYI: Our workplace will be Quatre Bones

You are repeating yourself.
W/o knowing your daily-expenses , how much you spend on food, where you will be living , means of transportation , how can one tell you how much you will save?

Like someone mentioned  Rs 40,000 is higher than the average salary of a Mauritian.

Hello Hussein,

As i mentioned earlier, this will be largely sufficient for you to cater for your needs, accomodation and transport.

Note that it depends on your living style on how much you spend.

But i think, if you lead a normal and non extravagant life, you should be able to save a minimum of MUR 15,000 monthly.

Hafeez,

Thank you very much. One final question, Could you tell me about the tax we need to pay. What is the percentage of Income tax we need to pay and Is there any other taxes we need to pay?

Hello Hussain,

I think maybe this link will be helpful to you: https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/m … itius.html

Income tax is normally 15%, and if you will be tax resident in Mauritius, and depending on your dependents here, you will be able to benefit from the different tax free threshold available.

Whether Rs40,000 is 'largely sufficient' or not depends on the person's life-style.
As a Mauritiam I need double this to end my month - some other live with 50% less...and others requires more .. All is relative to lifestyle

If you take your 15% tax out of it 1+ social charges (for instance), your house rental, travelling to and from work (if transport not providing), your food... you might easily run out of cash. Now, it all depends on how you spend. If you have a family along (size of family), your food budget, your rental budget and schooling might further erode the salary

All above to say, that to state whether your salary is sufficient or not, you will need to provide further details on your situation.

All the best.